PDA

View Full Version : Parting Tool question

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 6:23 PM
All -

Does anyone have any experience with Henry Taylor turning tools?

LOML was able to pick up a few Sorby tools during the sale last month at Woodcraft. She now is in search of a couple different sizes of parting tools and is looking at some by Henry Taylor.

Thanks,
Ted

Gary Max
11-02-2004, 6:28 PM
Ted I have seem them and they look like they would do the job just fine. I bought a couple of Sorbys last month just because they where for a special purpose.

Jim Becker
11-02-2004, 8:01 PM
Taylor makes good turning tools, Ted. Some they sell under their own name and others are sold as "house brands". I think that the Craft Supplies Artisan brand is made by Taylor but could be wrong on that...

It's good that she is looking at different sizes and configurations. In addition to a "normal" diamond parting tool, I have two others. One is a really thin Chris Stott tool and the other is the 1/8" straight sided parting tool that came in the PSI "Benjamin's Best" pen turning tool set (3pc). The last one, strangely enough, is the one I use the most. Parting tools are also very easy to make...creating one like the Stott would only require a piece of steel, such as a section out of an old hand saw and a couple strips of wood to make a handle to sandwitch the non-cutting end.

Kent Cori
11-02-2004, 9:34 PM
Ted,

I have a Richard Raffin designed Taylor bowl scraper that I really like. I would readily buy more of their tools again.

As for a slim parting tool (Stott style), I picked up one from Penn State for $10 IIRC that is a copy and works just as well as the original. It is just a piece of steel with an angled end sandwhiched between two wooden handles.

Alan Ryalls
11-03-2004, 4:32 AM
hi ted,henry taylor tools are on a par with sorby tools,in quality,price both have been producing quality tools for hundreds of years,and being a yorkshire man i was born within 5 miles of both factories,(for what thats worth) he he
regards alan.

Ted Shrader
11-03-2004, 5:23 PM
All -

Thanks for the greatly appreciated information.

Regards,
Ted