PDA

View Full Version : MM24 owners help

Todd Bin
03-06-2010, 6:19 PM
I just recently recieved an MM24 and got it uncrated and am in the process of puting the zambus casters on. I want to make sure the threads in the base of the tool are M12 X 1.75. The threads don't seem to want to go. I took one of the "bolts" that came with the tool and forced it through one of them and then the zambus M12 bolt went smoothly. I think the threads have burrs on them. I have an M12 X 1.75 tap and want to make sure this is what I should use to clean the threads up.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

Doug Shepard
03-06-2010, 6:35 PM
2 of the 4 on my MM16 were a bit buggered up as well. I didn't have metric taps at the time but would have tried that too if I had them. Do you have the mating M12 die that you can run the studs through to test the thread?

Todd Bin
03-06-2010, 6:53 PM
Thanks for the reply Doug. I have never used a dye tap before, but there is a first time for everything. What is the worst thing that can happen. I suppose I could mess up the threads but they are already so bad. I can look into the 'hole' and see huge burrs.

Thanks,
Todd

Philip Johnson
03-06-2010, 7:52 PM
I looked up the casters I got and they say 12mm thread and they screwed right in as I remember. As I remember there were some extra bolts for leveling that screwed in also or were they installed.

Phil

Rye Crane
03-06-2010, 9:53 PM
Todd,

Yes, you have it right. The threads on my saw were also a little buggered up and I ran a tap through them, no problem.

I discovered an easy way to either raise or lower the saw with the Zambus casters. I use a small crowbar, about 24" and just use a block of wood as a fulcrum and lift with one hand and raise or lower the caster with the other. Just enough help to spin that little wheel.

Have fun with that saw it's a serious one.

Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Todd Bin
03-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Ran the M12 X 1.75 tap through the threads and it worked great. It would be nice if such an expensive, well made bandsaw had well machined threads.

Thanks,

Todd