PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D1258R-24 vs D4R dovetail jig

Marty Barron
03-06-2010, 6:03 PM
I have come across an opportunity to purchase a Leigh D1258R-24 dovetail jig. Does anyone have any experience with this jig? How does it compare to the D4R? Are there any serious problems with the D1258R-24 that I should be aware of or that Leigh has addressed in their later models?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Marty

Paul Murphy
03-06-2010, 7:01 PM
I have the 1258R, and it works well. The changes over the years have been evolutionary, Such as cam clamps, and integral sidestops in the new jig.

You absolutely have to use a couple accurate squares to set the sidestops on the 1258 when you first get the jig, where the latest jig requires no initial alignment. You can buy upgraded sidestops that look a little easier to work with, but I never have. You can also upgrade to the cam clamps.

If you use the Leigh jig much, you will want the dust collection/router support.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-07-2010, 9:26 AM
Marty I have the old jig you mentioned and it works fine. I don't recall setting up the side stops to be that big of a deal. I did upgrade to the cam clamps which is a vast improvement to the knobs. I used to get blisters from the knobs having to be tightened so hard. The cams will run you another $50 USD, I highly recommend them.