PDA

View Full Version : I miss NYW-Saturday not same

Jerry Olexa
03-06-2010, 5:22 PM
Saturday is no longer the same: as we all know, NewYankeeWorkshop is no more. Our local PBS station (NW Chicago) has opted now to cut ALL WWing shows on Saturday afternoon. Used to start @ 12 noon with Norm, followed by TOH, followed by shopnotes , then Hometime, then concluding with Roy Underhill. On a cold day with no duties, a nice way to relax...I'm suffering withdrawal.
Is this happening everywhere? Hopefully temporary...

Tony Shea
03-06-2010, 5:26 PM
Here in Lamoine Maine I haven't seen any WWing shows on PBS for a few years now. I don't understand what's happened. Really looked forward to seeing those shows and apparently were not popular enough. It's amazing all the crap that is on TV that something to do with WWing doesn't have enough popularity to air it. I'm confused.

Fred Haydon
03-06-2010, 5:29 PM
Jerry,

I share in your loss of NYW. Here in the Detroit area we're getting TOH, ATOH, Hometime and Roy Underhill. So Saturday mornings aren't a complete loss... We do get reruns of NYW on the PBS Create channel twice a week, so I'm not having to go 'cold turkey' just yet.

Regards,
Fred

Dave Lehnert
03-06-2010, 5:38 PM
I found something out that may be worth investigating.

We have cable TV. It has all the local PBS stations. The TV out in the kitchen is not hooked up to cable but is hooked to a digital converter box. That TV gets extra PBS channels. Example our local PBS station is channel 48 so digital 48 also has 48.2, 48.3 etc... Well, on of the extra channels, that we do not get on cable, is a PBS "how to" channel. They run NYW all the time as well as Roy Underhill show, TOH. Ask TOH and so on.

May want to check it out.

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 6:59 PM
I find it frustrating that get over 200 channels and almost nothing on WWing, I understand with most my niche hobbies but WWing is rather large, but guess it doesn't draw people in like a show on knitting? :eek:

Clarence Miller
03-06-2010, 7:10 PM
Here in IA we still have a show called the woodsmith shop that I think is still on PBS. I will really miss the NYW though, Norm has been a good shop teacher for me.

Fred Voorhees
03-06-2010, 7:21 PM
Here in IA we still have a show called the woodsmith shop that I think is still on PBS. I will really miss the NYW though, Norm has been a good shop teacher for me.

I have DirecTV and one of the PBS stations (it's channel 50 for me) carries the Woodsmith Shop on Saturdays at 12 noon, but I have to say, while IT IS a woodworking show, I hope to God that I never have to count on it for my woodworking shop "fix" as it is the most elementary and basic show and really carries nothing for me. Oh, I still tape it and watch it later, but it really offers little more than the most basic information and if you pay attention in the least, you can even catch some pretty silly statements sometimes. I am still able to get Norm on TNYW on Saturday mornings at 10 and then on Sunday evenings at 6, but I used to be able to get five or six different airings of different shows of his during the course of a weekend. It is definitely going to be a sad day when there in no longer any NORM on tv.:mad:

Rob Damon
03-06-2010, 7:30 PM
Well at least they have started playing the old original episodes on the NYW website. A different one each week. Started at the first of this year. They post on Fridays officially, but sometimes it shows up earlier at 11:00pm on Thursday night. They are showing episode 10 of the first year this week.

Rob

Frank Gilbert
03-06-2010, 8:55 PM
The internet has stolen a large chunk of the audience. You Tube and podcast are fantastic as you can choose the topic as well as the time. These are easier to access on a computer than you would think. I enjoy listening to the podcast while working in the shop.

Greg Hines, MD
03-06-2010, 9:28 PM
I am liking the Woodsmith Shop Show, but it is certainly not the New Yankee Workshop. We miss you, Norm.

Doc

Joe Wiliams
03-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Look here for some of the wood working & home improvement shows.
Local listings will vary...

http://www.createtv.com/CreateTV.nsf/GenreDisplay?Readform&Genre=Home+Improvement

Jim Heffner
03-06-2010, 11:15 PM
I have been able, at least part of the time to get ATOH, Roy Underhill,
Woodsmith Shop, but I still miss Namh! I just can't seem to get interested
in a sewing show or making quilts or any of that stuff...just not my bag.

I can get some of the home remodeling /makeover shows....but I get tired of them, my wife seems to like them....duh! I think it mostly gives her ideas
to think about and try to get me to do some of them ....but just not into
all that sheetrock hanging and finishing and stupid painting! I LIKE WOODWORKING! Not remodeling a house! I also hate yardwork!
'Nuff said about all this........

michael case
03-07-2010, 1:14 AM
Its a shame PBS Boston has opted to let the New Yankee Workshop die. It could have continued with another host. I doubt its money. You should see the massive new building they constructed for themselves with money from "viewers like you". Of course they get federal funding so the money comes out your pocket whether your a viewer or not. I can actually look out across the Charles River and see the lights of the computer image scrolling billboard on PBS's new temple from where I'm seated right now. I wonder what that cost? A lot more than a years worth of NYW you bet! Hmmm, What other shows do I like on PBS? Since I'm not a Bolshevik and don't hate my country there really is much left to watch on PBS Boston. Since I'm no longer a viewer I really want my money back.

Paul Steiner
03-07-2010, 9:17 AM
The internet has stolen a large chunk of the audience. You Tube and podcast are fantastic as you can choose the topic as well as the time. These are easier to access on a computer than you would think. I enjoy listening to the podcast while working in the shop.

I recently purchased an ipod and there are a few podcasts I do not miss. I love the podcast format. It would be awesome if the old NYW shows could be turned into videos for the ipod. BUT you can already find complete seasons of NYW on torrent sites. You can download them and revisit them when needed. But here in VA we are missing NYW also, thank goodness we still have Roy and the woodsmith shop is not that bad.

Ryan Kraft
03-07-2010, 9:54 AM
Jerry,

I share in your loss of NYW. Here in the Detroit area we're getting TOH, ATOH, Hometime and Roy Underhill. So Saturday mornings aren't a complete loss... We do get reruns of NYW on the PBS Create channel twice a week, so I'm not having to go 'cold turkey' just yet.

Regards,
Fred

Fred,

Don't know what cable service you have, but with WOW cable, I'm also getting the Lansing affiliate PBS station (think it's Lansing anyways). They show the Woodsmith shop. I believe our affiliate also the American Woodshop (or workshop?) at 8:30 AM. On WOW, the Lansing affiliate is channel 8 and the shows generally start around 2:00...all of the TOH & ATOH plus Woodsmith shop.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-07-2010, 10:37 AM
I took a real interest in NYW after I broke my back 9 years ago. Lying on the floor for 2 1/2 months recovering....I found little on television of any socially redeeming value. NYW was one of the few.

I miss it and yet I wish Nahm well!

And...yes.....Saturdays and Sundays aren't the same now.

Michael Gaynes
03-07-2010, 11:43 AM
...there really is much left to watch on PBS Boston.

WGBH is developing a new show with Tommy MacDonald (T. Chisel):
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/25050/tommy-macdonald-gets-a-woodworking-show