PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Kitchen

Tim Reagan
03-06-2010, 4:48 PM
Here is my kitchen recently finished. Funny thing is I started when Matt Meiser started his for his parents, and was blown away when he finished! Took me about 5 months. Everything is done, except I still need to build a cherry pocket door and trim between the kitchen and laundry, and paint the walls a non-white color and tile splash above the stove.

Basics: used prefinished 3/4 maple ply for boxes, 3/4 cherry for solids, and 1/4 cherry mdf for door panels. I made everything except all the pullouts which are 1/2 bb finished. The finish is BLO, then 2 sealcoat, then 2 toned valspar zenith from local store, then 1 clear valspar zenith last.

Things I would change next time (if that ever occurs!): 1. use a simpler finishing schedule and probably not the valspar. It required a thick coat (3-4 mil), and with it toned was hard to get completely consistent color. I know most people think it is sin to color cherry, but I looked thru many catalogs and liked the cinnamon look. I bought the cherry at a 2.99/bf rockler sale and also toned it to better match colors. 2. Order doors. My doors took about 3 weeks (almost as much as the boxes/ff) and I still had them belt sanded locally.

All in all I had fun and learned alot. I watched Matt's journey closely and am still amazed at his efficiency! Enjoy the labor.

tim

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 9:21 PM
Looks great! You've gotta love that warm, rich cherry color.

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 9:39 PM
Very nice job, Tim. I followed Matt's project, as well, and he had it down to a science.

I love the color, and from here, it looks worth the effort. But, then, it wasn't my effort!!:D;)

Redoing a kitchen is way too much project for me. Too many meals eaten out to make the $$ work! And, having a timeline for a project isn't a favorite thing for me, either. I admire your effort.

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Looks nice. What is the purpose of the lift up door to the left of the sink? Always interested in how other people store stuff.:)

Mike Palmowski
03-07-2010, 7:18 AM
Another follower of Matts build here.

I must say I love what you have done here, please post up some more pictures. I would love to see the doors up close and what the insides look like. I am also curious as to what you used to build out the sides of the cabinets to match the face frames for the drawer slides, couldn't see in Matts pictures how he did that. Thanks again for sharing.

John Thompson
03-07-2010, 10:11 AM
That looks great Tim. The color looks great but I have to agree with you on the time to do finishs as you did. Too time consuming for me personally and frankly.. I would probably just hire it out.

Well done....

gary Zimmel
03-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Great job on the kitchen Tim.

Jim Becker
03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
Really nice work, Tim.

Tim Reagan
03-07-2010, 3:36 PM
My wife really like the bread "garage" idea we saw at Lowe's, hence incorporated. Thanks for the positive comments. I did also use 2 sheets of 3/4 ply cherry for end caps and fridge ($100/sheet, ouch).

Hans Braul
03-07-2010, 5:36 PM
Tim
The cabinets look great. You should be very proud. They are a lot of work. Kinda makes you feel like giving things a rest for a while or just do some small projects?
Hans