PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Dust Collection Options

Nick Mastropietro
03-06-2010, 3:30 PM
I have been looking at several options for dust collection on my new lathe (Jet 1642). Here are several I am considering, left to right 1) PSI product biggest hood of the lot - on sale for $80.00, 2+3) very similar in design - 2 ($90.00) looks a bit beefier than 3($75.00), 4) I kind of see it as a two fer, you can connect it with the articulating arms directly to the lathe bed and use the stand for something else or use it with the stand. This one is the most expensive - about $120.00
Here's the question - do you use any of these? if so, what is your review of thet item?
Thanks

Bob Varney
03-06-2010, 5:16 PM
I think a lot has to do with the DC that is hook to them. CFM is important in this case because you are moving a lot of air. I use #3 it works some what, but not enough CFM in my collector to work good.
Bob

Mike Peace
03-06-2010, 6:21 PM
I had a Big Gulp hood I paid about $15 for. I put it on a cobbled together stand on an old office chair base I salvaged from a neighbor's trash collection pile. It does ok. Cheaper than buying one although not as elegant looking. It moves out of the way easily to clean up and seems to be easier to maneuver out of the way than a smaller one I had mounted on a rail on the back of the lathe. My old setup is shown in this thread.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=111808

Dick Mahany
03-06-2010, 7:29 PM
I made an articulated arm arrangement from simple tube from the scrap yard and added the plastic hood. Cost ~ $25. The dust collection works well for sanding, but for general turning, I let the shavings fly and sweep up the piles later!

I have additional pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmshopshots/ArticulatedLightingAndDustCollectionForLathe#

Joshua Dinerstein
03-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Here's the question - do you use any of these? if so, what is your review of thet item?
Thanks
I have what looks to be #3. I got it on sale for $59 from woodcraft 6 months or so ago. I like it. It works but... There is always a but. I have found it hard to maneuver up close to the work. The base feet get in the way, etc... It does work. It was sucking up dust for me tonight.

I also built one out of wood. This works even better because of a few small things I changed in the design. I like this "hood" better. It seems to catch more of the dust and I can bring it in closer to the work. However I have it on a large frame made out of 2x4's, because that is what I had in the garage when I decided to make it. This frame I hate hate hate. It is very hard to get close enough to the lathe.

To try and fix this problem I purchased a 5gallon bucket and an 80 lbs bag of cement. I don't actually plan to use all 80 pounds for this 1 thing but... My plan is to pour the cement into the bucket and use a 4x4 length of pressure treated lumber to make a new "post" to attach my home made hood too. My hope is to great the best of both worlds. To have something that I can put right where I want it when I need it, get it out of the way when I don't and continue catching ever increasing amounts of dust.

I have seen pictures on here that have influenced how I want to build this next phase. I would like to try and make one that will allow the hood to go up and down for increased flexibility.

I guess my $0.02 on this is "Anything Helps". But some are better than others. The keys I have found are:
1- that the closer to get the better collection you get.
2- the closer you get the more in the way you will find the hood so ease of movement will become important or you won't use it.
3- Size of hood impacts the amount that will be picked up. I would go for larger if you have the airflow to back it up.
4- Shape of the hood is important.
5- My garage stays 100x cleaner when I use the dust hood than when I used nothing. It truly is worth using.

Good Luck,
Joshua

Greg Just
03-07-2010, 8:10 AM
The title of your thread is "Lathe Dust Collection Options" and dust collection is about all you can expect. Trying to suck up flying chips never worked for me. I only use the dust collector during the sanding phase and keep the broom handy for sweeping at the end of the day.

Bernie Weishapl
03-07-2010, 9:31 AM
Greg said it best. Trying to collect chips while you are turning is futile at best. I only use mine when sanding because if I have it on the chips will plug at the entrance to the DC. I also have a air cleaner on the ceiling that has been a tremendous help in holding down the dust.

Scott Hurley
03-07-2010, 10:00 AM
Where did you get the tilt-away for the tailstock? Is that a Powermatic that you painted Jet colors? Thanks.

Alan Zenreich
03-07-2010, 10:04 AM
With my limted experience here are my observations and questions.

I have only turned dry wood so far, so keep this in mind. My shop is in the basement of my house, just under my office and dining room. The goal here is to keep dust out of my lungs and to minimize its intrusion into the house.

So, I always have the dust collector turned on whenever using a chisel or while sanding. The 1 micron 1.5 hp Delta DC is piped to each lathe, with gates to control air flow.

I (and/or my bride) also wear a powered helmeted respirators (either an AirShield Pro or a 3M Breatheasy) along with hearing protection.

I have an air filter mounted in the shop that I turn on when sanding, and let it run for a few hours afterwards.

I took a day long intro to woodturning course at a WoodCraft store a couple of months ago, where we turned poplar spindles and bowls. I only wore a simple face shield (no respirator nor nusiance dust mask). We did not do any sanding.

On my long drive home, I found (how can I say this delicately) lots of wood dust in my nose, sinuses, hair, beard.... and spent time 'clearing' it out. I then realized just how well my home setup worked by comparison.

I know that different people prefer different levels of protection, and percieve the risk differently.

When I ride my motorcycle, I'm in the ATGATT camp (all the gear, all the time)... and ride with full face helmet, armored gear,gloves, boots, etc. It's likely that this approach of erring on the side of caution transposes itself to my use of power tools. Just as I would feel very uncomfortable riding without my gear (even for a short ride), I'd feel uncomfortable even standing at a spinning lathe without eye protection and something to control the dust if cutting/sanding is going on.

So my question for those of you who only turn on DC when sanding: Are you not raising dust because you're turning wet/green wood? Or are you ignoring the dust being raised and hope your respirator/dustmask is keeping it out of your lungs? Or some other thought (or lack of thought) that promotes this practice?

I know that I'm on one end of the (ATGATT) continuum, and that everyone has their own style, but I don't yet understand the 'DC only while I sand' comments, and would appreciate a little more insight into the practice.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Reed Gray
03-07-2010, 1:34 PM
All of my bowls are turned green. When I sand, I set up to do a lot of them at once, so my sanding hood actually sits on the lathe bed, up against the headstock, and comes over the top of the bowls, and the bowl is 75% enclosed. I can sand all day and get no dust up my nose, and I did check a number of times by blowing after a days worth of sanding. If you go to the Oneway web site, they have a fancy metal box that is pretty much the same thing. I took a 55 gallon white plastic food grade drum, and improvised. Cut about a foot off one end, and some off the front/side of the barrel, and some plastic over the tailstock end. The plastic cuts easily, a piece of plywood to fit in the lathe bed, and some hot melt glue around the hose flange to seal it. It won't work for turning as the banjo won't go onto the lathe, but for sanding bowls, super.

You can also buy 4 by 8 foot sheets of white plastic like the drums are made from for $30 or so in thicknesses from 1/8 inch up. I like the white because light does shine through. Easy to bend and cut. You could make a hard wood frame, cut 1/4 inch dadoes and glue, the plastic in place.

robo hippy

The more enclosed your piece is, the better. Just the hose is okay, small big gulp a bit better, full sanding hood, great.
robo hippy

Wally Dickerman
03-07-2010, 3:27 PM
I have what looks like #3. Bought it at Woodcraft. It's a 16 inch wide hood. I turn over the lathe bed and also on the outboard side of my Oneway. It's very easy to move the hood and stand from one to the other. I can move the hood in very close so very little dust escapes when I'm sanding. I bought a few feet of very flexible 4 inch hose to make moving easier. From Penn State, I think. It's an improvement over the shop built system that I'd been using for years.

I only have the dust system turned on when I'm sanding, so I'm not trying to collect anything but sanding dust. This setup does a very good job.

I very strongly recommend an overhead filter dust system that hangs from the ceiling. This catches the very fine dust that seemingly is lighter than air. It floats to the very top shelf in your shop. This is the stuff that you breathe, and the dust collector doesn't get all of it. I wear a mask when sanding and sometimes when I'm turning dry wood.

Wally

john brady
03-07-2010, 5:04 PM
Hi Nick - thought I'd pass along my home-made version.

I made mine using HVAC ducts and an old roller tripod. Mine doesn't have anything that allows you to pull it toward the lathe - it's fixed on the tripod with just a grab handle on the top. I just place it either in front or behind wherever I need it (front to catch the chips - behind to catch the sanding dust).

I have mine setup to use with a small cheap 3/4 hp dust collector. Works well to catch most of the chips and all the fine sanding dust. I still have an additional 'loose' hose that I hook up to clean up the remaining stuff on the floor as well as an old shop vac that grab the rest when I really feel like cleaning up.

Hope this helps...John

Nick Mastropietro
03-08-2010, 7:28 AM
Based on some comments I purchased the red hood model for it's larger size and mobility (it's on wheels) I figure if it doesn't work quite right out of the box, I could modify it without to much trouble. Dick I really like the mods on your lathe, particularly the light fixture. Just wondering if the dust hood arm tends to sag and loosen over time? Both really great ideas. You all seem to have some creative ways to deal with dust collection and I appreciate your sharing them. I do get it when it comes to resporator, faceshield protection and intend to wear some combination of each, speaking of resporators - has anyone use either of these items - http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10997 or http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/10834 if so please give me your thoughts or an alternitive you like best.
Thanks again

Dick Mahany
03-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Nick,

The articulated arms idea for the lights and the dust collection came from posts by Phillip Morris here on SMC and Vaughn over on another turning forum. They had great ideas and my versions have been solid with no appreciable drooping. I use a large surface nylon washer between the arm sections and a 3/8" bolt for the star knobs. That combination allows just the right amount of adjustability without excessive droop.

Best regards and have fun with your new set up.