PDA

View Full Version : shop made molding planes?

Bob Glenn
03-06-2010, 2:13 PM
Has anone tried making molding planes ala Krenov style?

harry strasil
03-06-2010, 9:44 PM
When you do, the blade profile is the hard part, so here is my tip!

When using a router bit or other means to form the profile, cut out the center section where the blade goes and use a piece of hardwood the same size as the proposed blade and wedge it in place before routing or otherwise forming the sole profile and then use the blade piece to file or grind the profile in the real blade. Works for skew angle blades too.

Bob Glenn
03-07-2010, 7:30 AM
Harry, good tip. I read that spade bits can be made into the irons. Is the steel hard enough or should I heat treat and and temper?

Josh Bowman
03-07-2010, 8:49 AM
When you do, the blade profile is the hard part, so here is my tip!

When using a router bit or other means to form the profile, cut out the center section where the blade goes and use a piece of hardwood the same size as the proposed blade and wedge it in place before routing or otherwise forming the sole profile and then use the blade piece to file or grind the profile in the real blade. Works for skew angle blades too.
Thanks Harry! I've got a Stanley 140 that I or the previous owner goofed up the angle just a little. This will help me set things right.

Joe McMahon
03-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Bob, check out the 6 page article "Clark & Williams Plane Makers" in the April issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine which was mailed to subscribers last week. It is right up your alley.

Joe

James Ogle
03-07-2010, 12:40 PM
I have thought of doing this as well. Read somewhere that most of the molding planes in the wild are actually trim carpenters plane and designed for softwood. Anyone know if this is true?

Also Harry great tip.

Bob Glenn
03-07-2010, 2:15 PM
Bob, check out the 6 page article "Clark & Williams Plane Makers" in the April issue of Popular Woodworking Magazine which was mailed to subscribers last week. It is right up your alley.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I hope it will waiting for me when I get home. Currently in Florida on my motorcycle.

Matt Bickford
03-07-2010, 5:13 PM
The bedding angle will tell you. 55 degrees is for hardwood.

James Scheffler
03-07-2010, 5:50 PM
Harry, good tip. I read that spade bits can be made into the irons. Is the steel hard enough or should I heat treat and and temper?

Aren't they usually high speed steel? That should be hard enough. Although I don't know if the whole bit is hardened or just the tip and cutting edge.