PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit - Mike Henderson

glenn bradley
03-06-2010, 1:53 PM
I swung by Mike Henderson's shop this morning to help him get a faithful old friend of his out of the way (I think his Saw Stop was jealous of his past relationship with his C-man contractor saw). I'll be using his old contractor saw as part of a mad experiment I have in the planning stages for a crosscut station.

Mike was kind enough to give me a tour of some of his work in his home. He has a really wonderful version of an expanding dining table and I took a seat in the most beautiful cherry rocker. I also got to see one of his Newport chests that was in the Fine Woodworking contest (http://www.finewoodworking.com/assets/uploads/posts/19967/Chest_complete_01_lg.jpg). If you haven't, check out some of his work here: http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/

Mike is a modest gentleman of obvious skill. His ingenious use of limited space has confirmed my worst fears; I am spoiled. . . spoiled rotten by my 20' x 30' workspace. Although I have made good use of portions of my space, I have been sloppy and wasteful in other areas. I now stand re-committed to my emergent reorganization plans. Thanks Mike, for the tour and the inspiration.

Proof of visit as per the Pic-Police rules:

Stephen Edwards
03-06-2010, 2:37 PM
It's great to hear that you fellas were able to meet and share some time together. Through SMC I've learned a lot from both of you. I thank you both for your insight and helpful attitude when offering solutions and advice to those of us with less experience.

I was stunned when I recently read the size of Mike's work space in is SS thread. That proves beyond a doubt in my mind that truly fine woodworking can be produced in small areas!

Thanks for the pic, too. Now we know it happened!

Mike Cutler
03-06-2010, 3:26 PM
Cool. Very Cool:cool:

Mike

I got to tell ya' dude. You're a very modest person.
I never knew you had a woodworking website/business. You do some spectacular work. The veneer is the equal of any I've ever seen.
Very nice work. All of it.;)

Pat Meeuwissen
03-06-2010, 5:04 PM
I would love to hear some of the space saving techniques as I'm also working in a very small space. Pat

Mike Henderson
03-06-2010, 6:12 PM
I would love to hear some of the space saving techniques as I'm also working in a very small space. Pat
My primary space saving technique is that I use my table saw as a router table, workbench, and table saw. Take a look at my web site here (http://www.mikes-woodwork.com/SawStop_setup.htm). I have pictures of what I did.

Other things you can't see, such as not having a jointer and flattening and edging boards by hand. I do have a planer.

You can see some of my shop in the pictures. If you have questions about what I did in some aspect of it, let me know. My space is 10' by 11'.

Mike

Larry Edgerton
03-07-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm moving from 7000 sq. ft. to 1700 sq. ft, and I'm not sure how I am going to accomplish that!

110 Sq.ft. Yikes! I'm just not that efficient. My old tool room was bigger than that.

My dad is a wood carver and works in a 12'x12' space with just a stationary sander and a bandsaw, and I get claustrophobic in there if I visit too long.

Still, I guess I do not need 4 tablesaws, 2 jointers, three planers........

You see the pattern.;)