PDA

View Full Version : Cothren/Burns Colaboration

Keith Burns
03-06-2010, 1:37 PM
A couple of week ago I had the pleasure of a day long visit with my good friend Mark Cothren. He brought a red gum hollow form with him that he had started and wanted to finish so we turned a lid and finials together to complete the piece. We winged it but I think it turned out pretty good. I can't remember the exact dimensions but it is probably about 5" diameter. Mark decided and I agreed to donate this piece to charity. It is currently in an auction of sorts in Conway to benifit the MDA. Our hope is that it raises a lot of dollars.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2010, 1:44 PM
Beautiful turning Keith! You and Mark should be proud of this one!

Pretty wood! Really like all the detail work in the finials! You have a name for that style of finial? Very unique!

Hope the piece does well at the auction! It should!

Dennis Ford
03-06-2010, 1:45 PM
It is a beautiful piece, wood, form and finish are all great.

Brian Effinger
03-06-2010, 1:54 PM
Beautiful piece, Keith & Mark. I especially love the double finial.
I hope it does well in the auction. Please keep us updated.

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 2:29 PM
That is a really nice piece! Bet the folks at MDA are pleased to have something like that!

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 2:35 PM
Keith, another fantastic piece! The double finial is a very nice surprise when someone removes the lid - just beautiful! Another great combo!

Are the finials blackwood, ebony, or....?

Pete Jordan
03-06-2010, 4:10 PM
You guys got nothin to do besides makin wonderful art!

I'm sure it will fetch a pretty penny!

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 7:34 PM
Great looking piece. Fantastic detail in the finial! Kudos to you two for donating it to the auction.

Kirk Miller
03-06-2010, 7:59 PM
Nice job you two should work together more often. Nice of you to donate to the MDA Auction. Irecently donated one of my custom fly rods to the MDA Alaska auciton. I am already planning a rod for next years auction.

Kirk

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Beautiful piece and beautiful finial. That should do really well. Great work together.

Barry Stratton
03-06-2010, 11:30 PM
The form and finish are superb........ Atta-boys!!:D:D

Allen Neighbors
03-07-2010, 7:54 AM
Ditto, everything above. Commendable attitude, both of you, and quality work done in the collaboration. I'll pray that it brings the highest price.

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 8:16 AM
Very effective "winging". You obviously make a great team. There is absolutely nothing I would change on this HF, the red gum is beautiful and the finial is as close to perfection as I've ever seen. The foot of the form is so small that it gives the impression of a weightless piece. "Absolutely Fabulous". I have to commend you both for parting with this beauty for a very worthy cause.

charlie knighton
03-07-2010, 9:00 AM
very nice....

gary Zimmel
03-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Great piece Keith. I'm sure it will do well in the auction.

Mark Cothren
03-07-2010, 9:18 PM
Thanks for the comments. Keith did all the hard stuff - I just advised (as in "attaboy Keith").

Lowe's has this and several other donated items set up in a display in their store here in Conway, AR. They are doing a raffle on each item individually, selling dollar tickets for a drawing that will be done on March 16, I believe. All proceeds go to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. So far this piece has a 5-gallon bucket over halfway full, so if no other tickets sell I'll still be tickled!