PDA

View Full Version : Pencils

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 1:17 PM
I see beautiful pens being posted frequently...pencils not so much. Here are some mechanical pencils done using a process that's been around for many years. The 'innards' from commonly available Pentel mechanical pencils are used to create custom pencils from materials of your own choosing. A step drill (the one shown is 17/64 with a 1/2" long 'step' down to 1/8") is used to drill the blank, which is slipped over a pen mandrel for turning. Shown from left to right are: The Pentel pencil (9mm for my heavy hand, but you can use any lead size--they all work), the step drill, and pencils in Cocobolo, Padouk, Bloodwood and Corian. Not that anyone needed anything else to turn.....:) :)

Incidently, these pencils cost an arm and a leg in office supply places. I buy them on-line and have found them for as low as $1.90 each.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2010, 1:49 PM
Very nice variety of pencils and materials! Looks great!

Pete Jordan
03-06-2010, 4:08 PM
Excellent Ted!

Do you glue the innards with super glue to hold!

Tony Joyce
03-06-2010, 4:12 PM
Where do/did you get the step drill bit? That Pentel model is my favorite, one that I use daily.

Wayne Bower
03-06-2010, 4:49 PM
Pretty cool.

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 4:56 PM
Thanks Steve :)

Pete...No need for glue. The tip screws onto the brass threads which protrude through the 1/8" step drill hole. The rest of the 'innards' bottom out on the shoulder of the step, so screwing on the tip locks the whole thing in place.

Tony...I bought two of these drills years ago from Craft Supplies--which I don't think carries them anymore. I found a couple of places that sell them but I don't know anything about the companies and haven't ordered from them, so caveat emptor. Hope these links are permitted

http://www.theperfectcollection.com/products.php?cat=11&PHPSESSID=5f3563f238383b646ee5b0df32f10819

http://www.wlfuller.com/html/special_drills.html

Pete Jordan
03-06-2010, 5:35 PM
Thanks Ted,

One more question, where did you get your innards from?

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 6:07 PM
Nice work, Ted. The two on the left are my picks!!

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 6:14 PM
Pete...I bought six dozen several years ago and am still working on those. It was an internet search for Pentel Sharp P209G Mechanical Pencil and I don't recall who it was. Best price I could find today was $3.08 each at antonline dot com but with a little more nosing around could probably find a quantity discount for less. I pass these out to clients and architect/engineer friends who seem to enjoy having something a little different.

Pete Jordan
03-06-2010, 7:07 PM
Thanks Ted!

I really appreciate it!

Marvin Hasenak
03-06-2010, 8:04 PM
You can do these without the step drill. Drill the blank to the depth with a 17/64", then take the blank and mount it on a 1/4" drill rod. Put the end of the drill rod in a collet chuck and use a drill chuck in the tailstock with the 1/8" bit, not sure I use a 1/8" I think I use a 5/32" The drill rod will line up the holes. You may need to use a little cellophane tape as a shim to get a good fit on the drill rod. Usually the wood swells just enough to give a good fit.

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 8:25 PM
Thanks Marvin. I use a plastic drinking straw split lengthwise to take up the slack on the pen mandrel.

Marvin Hasenak
03-06-2010, 8:28 PM
Thanks Marvin. I use a plastic drinking straw split lengthwise to take up the slack on the pen mandrel.

I have to try the straw, I like the idea of no sticky residue from the tape.

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 9:11 PM
I like them. I use a pencil in the shop quite often, so I may have to figure out how to make one of these.

James Combs
03-06-2010, 9:31 PM
I take it that these are not the typical pencil kits that you can get from Woodcraft etc? More of a conversion?

Incidently, these pencils cost an arm and a leg in office supply places. I buy them on-line and have found them for as low as $1.90 each.

Ted Calver
03-06-2010, 9:41 PM
True James. We are re-purposing the pentel innards into new shells. I don't know much about the pencil kits at Woodcraft. I tried some years ago, but the available lead thickness wasn't up to my heavy hand. That's when I found out I could put a new 'face' on the .9mm Pentels I usually use.

Greg Just
03-06-2010, 10:26 PM
great idea. I have turned a bunch of 10 cent pens using Bic pen inserts but this would make a great shop pencil. Thanks for sharing.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Great bunch of pencils Ted. I like the last three. Really nice.

Allen Neighbors
03-07-2010, 8:09 AM
Hey Ted!! Those are very nice, and will be received well by anyone!!
You mentioned the .9mm lead being good for your 'heavy hand'. I make the Power Pencils from PSI for my own use... they have 2mm leads, which is as large as a normal wooden pencil. I shake a lot, and sometimes even break these, using them in my shop.
Well done, on those pencils!
And thanks to (I think it was Marvin) for the hint about drilling on the lathe.
Good Post!!

Billy Tallant
03-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Very nice looking bunch of pencils. I really like the one in the middle. May have to try these one day.