PDA

View Full Version : Help me solve a dilemma- broke lathe I don't need

Jim Underwood
03-06-2010, 10:13 AM
So, I've got a busted T34706 Central Machinery (HF) lathe in my shop that's taking up space. I've got a Jet mini, and a Jet 1642 that I use all the time, so I don't really need this thing.

In fact, I really need to get rid of this lathe, but I don't want to just junk it.

I've got the thing listed on Craigslist for cheeep, but got no takers. I figure folks don't want to buy a busted lathe, so I either give the thing away (but who wants it?), drop it off at GoodWill, or order parts and fix it. (I really hate to just junk it...)

Problem is, according to reliable sources, the HF isn't too swift about getting those replacement parts to you, even if they are quite inexpensive.

This thing needs one of the Reeves Drive pulleys on the motor side. In this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=131077&highlight=pulley I read that the Grizzly or the Jet pulleys may fit. Does anyone know?

Got any other ideas how I might solve my problem?

(Sorry about the link to CL- that was a total copy/paste accident, I meant to post the one to Joshua's thread above.)

Allen Neighbors
03-06-2010, 10:52 AM
How about a pic of the lathe, Jim, it might help with suggestions.... :)
I'm just about like you... I hate to just toss something that may be of use to someone later.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Got any other ideas how I might solve my problem?
Perhaps ask at the local turners club meeting? There might be someone there with more room or a need for a lathe. I still have my old one. It takes up too much room. I want to trade it out for a true mini to complement the Mustard Monster but I haven't done anything about it yet. But someone might take it rather than see it junked and there might be someone new there who would really put it to good use. Just a thought.

A guy in the local turners group, Joe Wagner, apparently has > 27 lathes. He is a machine and not exactly normal but WOW! SO you just never know.

Joshua

Bob Hampton
03-06-2010, 11:43 AM
jim
last yr i still had my old HF lathe like yours ..broke a pulley on the outside of the motor shaft
All i had to do was call harbor freight and talk with the tech guys they looked up the part #for me and sent it out...had it within 5 days ...the guy i talk with said it was one of the most popular lathes so they try and keep parts on had all the time.
I turned on that blasted thing for 10 yrs and finally got a nova last january and sold ol green to a local guy and he is very happy with it

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
If you have a local votech school, you may be able to donate it and get a tax deduction. A lot of those schools have mechanic programs and woodworking programs, so they could fix it and then put it to use. Public schools might be another outlet.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-06-2010, 11:53 AM
If you have a local votech school, you may be able to donate it and get a tax deduction. A lot of those schools have mechanic programs and woodworking programs, so they could fix it and then put it to use. Public schools might be another outlet.

Oh I really like this idea. When it finally comes time for me to get rid of the Green Machine I will have check something like this out.

Joshua