PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged project/ wood score

Brian Greb
03-06-2010, 10:11 AM
So I was digging in my shop refrigerator the other day and ran a cross a bowl blank in a bag... It was my third attempt at a bowl. At the time I hadn't had any instruction on bowl turning yet... but I had had great success making hallow forms. Well I had a lot of trouble with this particular bowl and I put it away so I wouldn't lose the blank completely. Since I stored the blank I took some classes turned a bunch of bowls and got a lot better... I also got new tools and a new lathe since then. So I decided to see if I could salvage this refrigerator bowl... I was to small to be a bowl. So I paired it with some scraps from my scrap bin and vuala a goblet. It's a lemon wood bowl with a curly maple neck, and a buckeye burl/maple/yellowheart base. I think it turned out well... but that's just my opinion. Now if I could only think of a name for it... it will come to me I'm sure of it.

Part the second:

I was at my local woodcraft the other day and they had some sawmill drops/shorts for $1.50 a pound. So I got 20 pounds of Black and white ebony(about 6 6X6X2 and 2 5X5X2 bowl blanks worth) and snakewood. There is also some amboyna burl in there.:D

Thanks for looking.

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
"Lemon Meringue!" Nice work, and an interesting combo.

You scored big time on the wood, BTW!

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Interesting mix of woods in your goblet! Glad to see you were able to come up with a project to save the small bowl blank! Worked out nice!

Congrats on your wood score! Will come in handy for a lot of turnings in the future!

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 11:39 AM
Great score on the wood... those are pretty expensive species and $1.50 a pound is pretty cheap.

I like John's suggestion for the name on the goblet... It definitely has a lemon flare.

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
The lemon wood is pretty. I don't thinkI have seem any turned before. Seems like a great price on the wood as well.