PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14" Bandsaw Dust Collection Question

Kent A Bathurst
03-06-2010, 10:03 AM
Hoooo, boy!! Talk about the search function working for you!! This thread from November 2003 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5064 talks about the specific topic where I have a question for you:

The 5th entry by Daniel R has photos of the accessory dust hood that I have for my BS. [Where did I find this out-of-production item, you might ask? From a box of unused gizmos, thingamajigs, and doodads I've had for as long as 10 years.]

With the dust hood in place, you can open the lower door but you cannot change the blade. In the far right photo, you see a flange with a curved top (aroung the lower guide assembly) and a notched bottom (allowing for the lower door "closed" spring clip). The flange impedes air trying to bypass the dust stream, but it also blocks the blade. If I cut this flange away, then I can change the blade without removing the hood - I really, really don't want to fool with this when I change a blade.

I intend to bring a 5" drop that splits to 4" for this hood, and 3" or 2-1/2" for a port I'll install on the lower left corner of the bottom door. The 2 HP cyclone intake is 10' - 12' of hose+pipe away, so I'll be doggone MOVING some air through there. (Finishing up riser block install, so I can start resawing, so dust volume generated will be going up-up-up).

Question: Will this have a significant impact on dust pickup? Thought I'd ask for insight before the hacksaw comes out and I head across the Rubicon.

Myk Rian
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
I made a port for mine, but it still doesn't do the best job. From what I've seen, a 4" port in the lower door works best. I'm considering getting a new door and doing that. Don't want to chop up the original door.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=1203956&postcount=2

Don Whitten
03-06-2010, 5:36 PM
My Delta 14" BS has the 4" DC port built in on the rear just under the lower guide area. Works great even when I hook it up to one of my shop vacs with a custom adaptor I made real quick.

Flint Miller
04-29-2010, 8:48 AM
Question: Will this have a significant impact on dust pickup? Thought I'd ask for insight before the hacksaw comes out and I head across the Rubicon.

FWTW a few of my thoughts on the matter (which I was studying for ideas on enhancing my own dc system):

a) if Iturra thought it important, the flange probably did enhance dc efficiency, but
b) with the gale you'll have going through there it seems doubtful that the difference would be noticeable if you cut the flange off, yet
c) besides being a nice piece of tinwork that Iturra box could be a collector's item someday, like the Rajo OHV kit for a Model A Ford, while
d) a lower door for a Delta saw will almost certainly never attain that status, so
e) I'd opt for Myk's strategy of punching through the door, and stash the Iturra doodad back in the box to mellow for another 10 years or so.

Hope this helps.

L.F.Miller

Kent Parker
04-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Kent,

Not wanting to cut or alter my bandsaw I built a simple box for dust collection. Its a snug fit to the underside of the table and does not allow for bevel cuts. Its held in place with a single bolt with a large thumb screw and can be easily removed. You'll see inside the box is a piece of 1/8" plywood that helps to direct the air flow and minimizes a "hard spot" or tight bend which would cause friction in the air flow.

See the thread here

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=76737

Cheers,

Kent (also)

Kent A Bathurst
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the insight, guys - especially Kent(also) ;)

Not sure who manufactured the accessory hood, but it was sold by Delta back in the day. My problem was that a blade change meant the hood had to be removed entirely, which I did not want to do. "Lazy" is a word that comes to mind. Or, impatient with extended setup/changeover times may be more accurate.

The flange is long gone, and the front mounting screw has been replaced by an eye bolt that extends out far enough for me to loosen it my hand, and rotate the hood out of the way for blade changes without removing it entirely.

Removing the flange opened up an air path that is maybe 2" x 2". During operation, this is now covered by a chunk of magnetic sheet.

I have a 5" DC main split to 4" for this hood, and to a 3" that goes to the lower left of the front bottom wheel cover - cut a hole to mount it. Dust collection works great. In operation, the BS has full dedicated use of a 2hp cyclone.

[Aside: A while back, I pulled out a FWW article on improving dust collection for contractors saws and hybrids. I applied those principles and techniques to my 12-yr-old Uni - where the concept of dust collection was exactly that - a concept only. Holy Empty Saw Cabinet, Batman!! Couple more tweaks I want to do, but wow. So, am using same principles on the BS - mag sheet covering lower hood gaps, and looking for other opportunities.]

[Aside #2: the whole thing got started because I wanted to install a riser block, and resaw > 6", and I knew my previous approach to dust collection would not get the job done. As part of all of this, I rehabbed everything I could on the 12-yr-old BS: tires, riser block, dust, lower wheel brush, Kreg fence, cool blocks, Carter ETG, crank-handle-style tension arm, ZCIs. One last component on hand and waiting for install: Iturra's Improved Tracking Arm - that sucker is machined from serious steel v. cast aluminum, and uses shims to move the top wheel left-to-right, as needed, to get the blade alignment vertical so the upper guides are aligned for any height setting - "Lazy". Couldn't be happier - BS is wonderful to use - hadn't used it all that much before, but now it is a go-to work station. Tracking arm goes in whan I am done with a current project. When I have the saw disassembled for install, I am going to come up with something for the tracking adustment screw that is easier to turn than the OEM mickey-mouse thumb screw. And - yes - I could have sold the Delta and gotten a steel frame 18" saw instead, but there is simply no room. You'd have to see the BS location to believe it, but trust me. Oh - small gloat - I was able to get a you-wouldn't-believe-it-if-I-told-you deal on Lenox TriMaster - haven't mounted it yet - in reserve for the serious/important stuff.]

This whole program has been a lot of fun to do.

(also) Kent