PDA

View Full Version : A couple flawed pots+another wood gloat

Jack Mincey
03-06-2010, 9:22 AM
Here are a couple pots that had a flaw in the wood, so I didn't sell them. The pot on the left is dogwood and it had a crack at the rim that I had to fill to save it. The crack was caused by what apears to be a 22 bullet that I didn't know to be in the wood until I mounted the blank and turned it into a pot. I will keep the bullet call. The one on the right is very pretty plum, but has a few surface checks in the wood that happened as the wood dried.
The piece of wood is one of 12 small walnut boards I was given yesterday by a friend that gets them from a guy that cuts flawed sections out of boards at a saw mill. The picture dosen't do justice to the figure in it. They are all about 24" long by 7 to 10 inches wide. They should proof to make some very nice calls.

Thanks for Looking,
Jack Mincey
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_1635.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/IMG_1636.jpg

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 9:57 AM
I like the 22 bullet thing...I like wood with a story whether in a piece of furniture, a bowl, or whatever I'm making and might have been tempted to leave the hole unfilled just to "sell" the story along with the beautiful pot you made there. Both of them are really nice and gorgeous figure in that piece of walnut!

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Jack - both pots looks great! Must have been quite the surprise to find a bullet while turning! So far, I've only found nails!!

Great looking chunk of Walnut! Should make for some amazing pots!

Looking forward to seeing more of your work real soon!

Baxter Smith
03-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Those look nice. Nothing like flawed wood! Plum is pretty special as well.

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 10:12 AM
The piece of wood is one of 12 small walnut boards I was given yesterday by a friend that gets them from a guy that cuts flawed sections out of boards at a saw mill. Jack, one man's flaws are another man's treasures!! That is a great piece of walnut!

Nice work on the pots, and interesting on the bullet.

Several years ago, we did a remodel on an office building we owned. The outside walls were brick, and thick. When milling lumber for the 8" window sills, we ended up with a piece that was sawed right thru the bullet path, and the bullet was cut in half. Left a nice trail to the bullet. The fellow that was helping at the time wanted to cull it - we left it there, and I must have explained that board to dozens of people over the years.

Now, you can do the same with the turkey call.

John W Dixon
03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Jack those are two great looking turkey calls. Great story with the bullet. I am so interested in doing some turkey calls. Haven't yet but I sure would like to. Great job!

John

Allen Neighbors
03-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Now those are unique! When your Title said "... flawed pots..." I was thinking weed pots... or flower pots... I never saw anything like this before, and couldn't even figure out what it was, until someone posted, "... turkey calls..". Got another bit of education this morning. :)
They still look good, even if I didn't know what they were for... :o

David E Keller
03-06-2010, 11:34 AM
The calls look nice, and I think the bullet would be a great selling point.

That piece of walnut is great... One man's trash is another man's treasure.

charlie knighton
03-06-2010, 1:09 PM
very nice...

Wayne Bower
03-06-2010, 4:55 PM
I have never found a bullet hole, only worms and bugs. Very cool pieces.

Jack Mincey
03-06-2010, 7:44 PM
Thanks everyone. David, you are right, I've already had two offers for the bullet pot on a turkey hunting forum, but I really want to keep this call for my self. It is truely one of a kind.
Thanks,
Jack

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 11:28 PM
Really nice calls Jack. I have hit nails and one piece of barbed wire but never have hit a bullet. Walnut is outstanding.

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 8:06 AM
Great job on the calls. That plum is quite nice. The walnut boards really ought to get you some incredible turnings, nice figure.