PDA

View Full Version : Bench Dog Cast Iron Router Table

Wesley Roberts
03-06-2010, 9:14 AM
Due to space limitations, I am anticipating installation of this router table in the right extension of my table saw.The saw is an older Delta Unisaw with a laminate covered hardboard extension all of which is mounted on a HTC mobile base. I wonder if anyone has done this for this type machine and if they are pleased with the results ( functionality, interferences, table saw usage, etc.)? Any problems with reinforcing the hardboard around the cutout?

Thanks for your comments and advise.

John Morrison60
03-06-2010, 9:34 AM
Wesley

I have an "older" Unisaw (1949) in which I mounted a bench dog
cast iron router table to replace the left wing. I believe that
the table top with router in place would interfere with the motor
cover on the right side. It is a tight fit, but still works with the tilt
wheel on the left hand side of the Unisaw.

I love having my router there. and now I wouldn't have it anywhere
else. Floor space usage, ability to use the t.s. rip fence for the router,
large stable surface, etc. are all valuable to me. I believe that a table
saw router table with a good lift is the perfect application of technology
in the shop.

You should be able to measure for clearances. When you get Bench Dog
dimensions, measure the one you have, since the insert dimensions have
changed in the last year. I have the older version with the smaller insert.

Good Luck

John

Eric DeSilva
03-06-2010, 9:40 AM
Due to space limitations, I am anticipating installation of this router table in the right extension of my table saw.The saw is an older Delta Unisaw with a laminate covered hardboard extension all of which is mounted on a HTC mobile base. I wonder if anyone has done this for this type machine and if they are pleased with the results ( functionality, interferences, table saw usage, etc.)? Any problems with reinforcing the hardboard around the cutout?

Thanks for your comments and advise.

Mine's on the left too--thought about the right, but my vintage has the access door for the motor on the right, which precludes putting the BD on that side.

Wesley Roberts
03-07-2010, 8:32 PM
John,

Thanks very much for your response and input. I like the idea of a cast iron table and perhaps installing the router table on the left side would be a better solution. By the way, old is better in my opinion! My saw has seen a lot of use and still does all the things I require of it very well. It runs perfectly and with Forrest blades, cuts beautifully.

Best Regards,
Wes

Jim Becker
03-07-2010, 8:49 PM
The BenchDog cast iron setup is outstanding...I love mine.

The one limitation to mounting it in lieu of a regular cast iron wing on the saw is that it cannot be on the side that the motor housing is on a cabinet saw...there usually wouldn't be enough clearance for the router in that case.

Robert Chapman
03-08-2010, 9:03 AM
I have an old cast iron router table on the right side of my TS and it works fine. I wonder about attaching your BD to the hardboard extension vs a cast iron extension. I think that I would prefer to bolt it to cast iron. Used cast iron extensions should be easy to find. I have one I'm not using.

Wesley Roberts
03-08-2010, 9:56 AM
Hello Robert,
I have almost decided to go with the cast iron extension on the left side. My saw has a 10" extension on the left side now. Should this extension be removed to install the table or attach the router table to this extension? That is my quandary now. In either case I am compelled to provide additional support for the router table. Thanks for your input.

Wes

Eric DeSilva
03-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Hello Robert,
I have almost decided to go with the cast iron extension on the left side. My saw has a 10" extension on the left side now. Should this extension be removed to install the table or attach the router table to this extension? That is my quandary now. In either case I am compelled to provide additional support for the router table. Thanks for your input.

Wes

I think the BD is meant to replace the existing CI extension.

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 11:10 AM
How much $ is the Bench Dog?

I got mine at Peachtree Woodworking - I think there was a sale and they are local to me - no need to pay shipping. I wanna say I got it for $150...

I second the left wing... only cuz I had already spent so much time putting in a homemade router table on the right side. I'll still use it - for larger "carving" project where I need more space. The table insert is not huge, and really is great for running molding size strips...

Let me go check that price - I see it is now $250... I must have gotten a REAL DEAL!!

Dennis Lopeman
03-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I got it for $160 (159.99)!!! Wooo hoooo - late gloat! :D

Robert Chapman
03-08-2010, 8:29 PM
Wesley - I have attached my CI router table to the right side CI extension. However my router table has legs for outboard support. I have the whole thing on a mobile base. Works fine for me.