PDA

View Full Version : Have you read the new Popular Woodworking Magazine?

Al Navas
03-06-2010, 8:33 AM
I like it! It is a blend of Woodworking magazine, with Popular Woodworking. It can only get better, I think.

Do you subscribe to either, or both magazines?
If you do not subscribe, will you buy a copy of the new issue?
Have you received yours in the mail?
If you have received it, have you read it?
If you read it, would you share your thoughts?

David Keller NC
03-06-2010, 9:11 AM
I subscribed to both Woodworking and Pop Woodworking. I like the new blend, though I'm sorry to see the number of WW mags that show up on my doorstep get cut by one. I do like the new mag, though I'd prefer that the back cover was kept as content rather than advertising.

There's a big contrast between the direction that Pop Woodworking/Woodworking mag is going and my other sub to FWW. In particular, I notice that the "I can do that" column focuses on things that are both easy to build and really useful, instead of doo-dads.

lowell holmes
03-06-2010, 9:36 AM
David expresses my feelings completely. I like the new magazine.

The last two issues of FWW have also had good projects in them.

Bill Spievak
03-06-2010, 9:47 AM
I subscribed to Woodworking - haven't received anything yet.

Jamie Cowan
03-06-2010, 11:49 AM
I subscribe to both, and while the publisher has said that those who had subscribed to Woodworking will get the remainder of their subscription in the new magazine, I noticed on the mailing label that the subscription ends the same as my Popular Woodworking, meaning I'm losing out on four issues of Woodworking that I am not being compensated for. Not real happy about that, but I won't get overly hung up on a paperwork issue that is only going to run me about 20 bucks. I've been worked over harder by businesses I care less about.
I just received my first issue of the new mag yesterday, and haven't gone over it with a fine-tooth comb yet, but I'm happy with the magazine so far. I did enjoy the Clark and Williams article, and Robert Lang's article, "How Tables Work." Roy Underhill has the back page, with a great little story that reminded me of the days when Rick Rielly wrote the back page of Sports Illustrated. Anyway, I still feel like I'm learning when I read the magazine, so I'd call that a success.

John Terefenko
03-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I do not like that magazine and in fact it is one of the ones I am droping. Color sells and not this black and white stuff. With all the advertisements the magazines do they should be giving them away. I am weeding through the 10 or so woodworking mags i get and that is one that is gone. Woodshop news has bit the dust also along with Fine woodworking. Too artsy for me. More to come. All these magazines are about the same. If I see one more bias tool review I don't know what I will do. Good luck with that magazine. I am sure they will be raising the prices

Bob Lang
03-06-2010, 1:11 PM
Jamie,

Please send me an e-mail with your subscription info: robert.lang@fwmedia.com and I'll make sure you don't lose any issues in the transition. For those who subscribed to both magazines, your subscription should run to the total number of issues you paid for. We're hoping our circulation people handle this change, and if they don't, please let one of us know.

Bob Lang, senior editor Popular Woodworking Magazine.

Dave Lehnert
03-06-2010, 1:15 PM
I do not like that magazine and in fact it is one of the ones I am droping. Color sells and not this black and white stuff. With all the advertisements the magazines do they should be giving them away. I am weeding through the 10 or so woodworking mags i get and that is one that is gone. Woodshop news has bit the dust also along with Fine woodworking. Too artsy for me. More to come. All these magazines are about the same. If I see one more bias tool review I don't know what I will do. Good luck with that magazine. I am sure they will be raising the prices

I was just looking through the new issue and did not see any Black and White photo's. Are you speaking of the line drawings?

I just received an offer for Pop Wood that gave you a few extra issues for the same year price. So right now the price has gone down. Time will tell.

Foras Noir
03-06-2010, 1:27 PM
Fantastic to see you post this. Your personal attention here is great. Thank you.

Gene DiNardo
03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I was a subscriber to both, I think they may be on to something here.
They took the best of both publications and combined them into one.
I'd like to see a few more pages as a result, but I think the content is pretty well balanced. Yes, much of the topic is(for many of us) "been there done that" but, it is from a fresh perspective. I realize they have to appeal to a broad spectrum of ability in their audience of woodworkers at various stages in their development but, I believe if this publication continues their trend of
including articles, projects and tecniques that are challenging and interesting to the seasoned veteran and something to aspire to for the novice, well,
"Fine Woodworking" will be loosing subscribers.
I actually don't mind the advertising, I'ts how I get to see what's new and exciting in the marketplace.
Gene

Sean Hughto
03-06-2010, 10:54 PM
I just got the new issue and love it. Finally a magazine that takes on the things like design issues and historical periods as opposed to yet another basic techniques article. As that quote in the magazine says, there are many great peices in museums that are not perfect in terms of craftsmanship - but the design is what carried them. Once you can four square stock, cut joints, and develop a little proficiency at finishing, what you really need is to undertake the life's work of studying how to create making beautiful things in terms of realizing what has worked for previous generations and the elements of design that can be incorporated into your own creations. Thanks, PWW.

Alan Schwabacher
03-06-2010, 10:57 PM
I subscribed to both, but I like the new one a lot, perhaps better than either previously. I liked the broad range of article types. I am sure they will properly extend any subscription.

By the way, if you liked Roy Underhill's story and did not recognize it, that means you should rush out and buy his latest book. It's his best: he is entertaining as usual, and his daughter seems to have imposed order on the wonderful chaos.

Frank Drew
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
... there are many great pieces in museums that are not perfect in terms of craftsmanship - but the design is what carried them. Once you can four square stock, cut joints, and develop a little proficiency at finishing, what you really need is to undertake the life's work of studying how to create making beautiful things in terms of realizing what has worked for previous generations and the elements of design that can be incorporated into your own creations.

Very well put, Sean.

Jeff Dorlan
03-07-2010, 1:39 AM
Bob, forgive my ignorance...what two magazines were combined? Why? Thank you in advance.

J. Greg Jones
03-07-2010, 7:16 AM
Jamie,

Please send me an e-mail with your subscription info: robert.lang@fwmedia.com and I'll make sure you don't lose any issues in the transition. For those who subscribed to both magazines, your subscription should run to the total number of issues you paid for. We're hoping our circulation people handle this change, and if they don't, please let one of us know.

Bob Lang, senior editor Popular Woodworking Magazine.

Bob, one challenge with what the circulation people have come up with is is that an issue of Woodworking Magazine cost more than an issue of the new Popular Woodworking Magazine. If Jamie has 4 issues (1 year/~$20) remaining on his Woodworking Magazine subscription, he will get 4 issues of PWWM which is published 7 times a year. He would be money ahead to request a refund of the unused portion of Woodworking Magazine and take the ~$20 refund and buy a 1-year, 7-issue extension of PWWM.

Chris Rosenberger
03-07-2010, 7:36 AM
Bob, forgive my ignorance...what two magazines were combined? Why? Thank you in advance.

Woodworking Magazine & Popular Woodworking Magazine were combined.
The new magazine is called
Popular Woodworking Magazine

I subscribed to both.
I like the new magazine.

Jim McDonald
03-07-2010, 8:54 AM
Was surprised by the combination, didn't subscribe to Woodworking, but often looked at it in the store while waiting on wife to do the shopping. I like the results, having read most of the issue now.

Jeff Dorlan
03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks, Chris.

Josh Rudolph
03-07-2010, 1:13 PM
Finally a magazine that takes on the things like design issues and historical periods as opposed to yet another basic techniques article. As that quote in the magazine says, there are many great peices in museums that are not perfect in terms of craftsmanship - but the design is what carried them. Once you can four square stock, cut joints, and develop a little proficiency at finishing, what you really need is to undertake the life's work of studying how to create making beautiful things in terms of realizing what has worked for previous generations and the elements of design that can be incorporated into your own creations. Thanks, PWW.

Agree 100%

Really like the new magazine. Have been WW for about 7 years now. My skills have progressed along with my magazine library. I am now cutting back as I have multiple versions of the same projects from the various magazines. I have cut down to PWW and FWW. FWW will be the next to go. I am really enjoying the new design articles with Mr. Walker.

PWW has taken a gamble and I think it will pay off in the long run.

Josh