PDA

View Full Version : New Toy and Estate Sale Finds

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 2:30 AM
My new toy, an LN #62 arrived yesterday.
The hot dog is made for a #9 and needed a little fettling to get it to fit to my way of liking. Just can't keep an old fettler from messing with things.

Also while we were out and about today we saw an estate sale sign so altered our course. Not much as we got there late in the day, but did find a few useful items and a 3 inch wide roll of teflon tape. I think I have about a lifetime supply of that now.

Heck it only set me back about $3 for all of it. The chuck needs some new springs. The little india stone will come in handy for tuning saw teeth.

jim

David Gendron
03-06-2010, 3:26 AM
Nice looking plane Jim! Is this your first new plane? And I don't meen new to you;)
Let us know what you think about it!

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 3:38 AM
Actually, this is my second LN. The first was a #1. I also bought a new Stanley #060 or what ever it was numbered back in the 1980s.

So far the plane is doing great at what I bought it for, shooting end grain. It also works well on face grain. Working the bevel on such a thick blade is a bit different. It is easy to register on a stone when sharpening by hand. It is also easy to give just a hair of lift to give it a micro bevel.

For shooting, it is a bit more comfortable than my #5-1/2. It is also a bit easier to muscle through the work.

I have noticed that the tote is different than on a Stanley/Bailey plane. Have not decided if it because of the shape and size as much as it is because there is no frog and there is really nothing in the way of all the fingers being around the tote. Extending the index finger feels strange without a blade to wrap it around or the back of a frog to set it against.

jim

David Gendron
03-06-2010, 3:41 AM
I allways tought they feel weird, I use to have the LV BU jointer and never realy could ge use to it! How do you lie the #1?

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 3:49 AM
I like the #1 for those times when a small plane is needed. It does not get as much use as the bigger planes, but every once in a while, it is the right tool for the job.

jim

Rick Erickson
03-06-2010, 9:27 AM
Nice score Jim. I have one of these on my wish list.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Nice score Jim. I have one of these on my wish list.

This has been on my wish list for awhile, but just recently with a tool event coming to Portland it pushed me to do something about it.

I kind of joke that I bought the plane at a discount by buying and selling old Stanley planes and some other tools.

Of course, that does not include all the hours of work that were needed to get some of the tools into working order. For a retired guy, it is kind of a way of finding a paying job. :D

jim

Gary Herrmann
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Jim, what do you think a good source for springs would be? I have a drill that needs new springs. I used the ones that come with pens, but they're a little weak.

Kent A Bathurst
03-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Jim - how does the hot dog attach? Friction fit or a set screw? If set screw - where is it - toward the inside of the plane, I'm guessing?

Certainly a different post than I'm used to reading from you :p

Thanks

Kent.

Rick Erickson
03-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Jim - how does the hot dog attach? Friction fit or a set screw? If set screw - where is it - toward the inside of the plane, I'm guessing?
Kent.

You guessed it. Set screw toward the inside of the plane.

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 1:17 PM
Jim, what do you think a good source for springs would be? I have a drill that needs new springs. I used the ones that come with pens, but they're a little weak.

That is what I was thinking of using. When I lived in the San Francisco area, it usually was pretty easy to find all kinds of things like this.

Now I am in a new area and have not yet networked my resources. I am working on it, but I am about three times as far from the big city as I was before. There is also the layout of the area here as opposed to surrounding San Francisco. In the bay area, from San Jose to Sacramento there was always another place to look and we lived in the middle of it. Around Portland, there are a few cities, but a lot more rurality. The city part is all in one direction from here unless I want to go to Seattle.

There is still a lot to be found here, but I have only been here a little over a year as opposed to over 50 years with a network of people who knew where to start looking.

jim

Jim Koepke
03-06-2010, 1:25 PM

Certainly a different post than I'm used to reading from you :p

Thanks

Kent.

Rick answered the set screw location question well. There is a plastic tip on the set screw. We used ones like this on some equipment in my workplace before retirement.

Yeah, me buying a new tool is almost blasphemy. But have you priced a used #62 from Stanley? I think this way saved money and heartache.

Patrick Leach has one listed with a chipped mouth and a bit of wear for $10 less than the LN. I think the LN is a much better build.

It has been pleasing so far.

jim