PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean off a new PSI tool?

Joshua Dinerstein
03-05-2010, 10:21 PM
My goodness. I got a new bowl gouge awhile back from PSI. It came packed in something. It doesn't seem like "grease" or the typical oil things from the orient seem to come packed in. I have tried all of the normal stuff to clean it off and the Goo Gone didn't work. Soap didn't work. De-Solve-it didn't work.

I am out of ideas. Anyone know how to clean it off to get down to the bare steel?

Thanks!
Joshua

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 10:52 PM
WD-40 and a steel wool or abrasive pad? Maybe a pic would help some of the more seasoned Creekers.

Dennis Puskar
03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Bought lot of tools from PSI and I never had that problem, a little bit of paint thinner removed the oil or grease they use.

Dennis

Wes Henson
03-05-2010, 11:24 PM
I always got them with a rubber like coating I pulled off. I think I used
Turpentine to clean off any other residue

Eric Kosanovich
03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Joshua, Try heating it a little even liquid nails will come off with just a little heat.

Jeff Fagen
03-06-2010, 12:27 AM
I just bought a PSI chuck system and it had that goo on all the parts.
I think its fish oil,I cleand it off with mineral spirits and elbow grease.:cool:

Brian Brown
03-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I had the same problem. Mine had a coating like a varnish. I used acetone and elbow grease. Heavy emphasis on elbow grease.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Sawdust Formation Engineer
in charge of Blade Dulling

LOL wish I thought of that!

Is it cosmolene? Typically used for long term rust prevention. Mineral spirits etc should get rid of it. Smells bad? Yes it is a PITA.

Allen Neighbors
03-06-2010, 8:39 AM
Lacquer thinner???

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2010, 8:49 AM
One of mine had that coating. I used some acetone on mine.

Antonio Martinez
03-06-2010, 9:08 AM
I used brake cleaner in a spray can (from your local auto parts store). Worked like a champ.

Frank Van Atta
03-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Call Penn State and ask. I have talked to their staff many times and find them very knowledgeable and helpful.

Joshua Dinerstein
03-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Thank you one and all!

I worked on it last night for 45 minutes to no avail. Using the wrong stuff just seemed to increase the overall stickiness of the coating on the tool. Kind of freaky just how tacky it has gotten.

I switched over to some acetone and with a basic kitchen sponge I had it all off in less than 5 minutes. Pretty slick!

The roughness of the green scrubber was a bit unexpected. It took some of the shine off of the tool blade and out in a number of slight scratches. I may buff it back up just for ascetics.

But again thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I bought this one to play with some shapes on the cutting edge without lamenting the loss of good steel. But still it is nice to have it easy to work with instead of sticky and annoying.

Thanks,
Joshua

Matt Ranum
03-06-2010, 1:49 PM
I used brake cleaner in a spray can (from your local auto parts store). Worked like a champ.

Yup thats great stuff to keep on hand, it will pull oil out of wood too if the need arises.:rolleyes:

phil harold
03-07-2010, 7:44 AM
Lacquer thinner???

Some of my BB tools had some crap on them too

Little bit of Lacquer Thinner and it wipes right off

along with the HHS mark too

Roland Martin
03-07-2010, 7:59 AM
I used lacquer thinner, it came off quite easy. I really have no idea what the stuff is that they put on their tools. Goo from the Orient?

Chris Stolicky
03-07-2010, 7:54 PM
I have found that mineral spirits works well.