PDA

View Full Version : Auctions. Grrrrrr

Michael Weber
03-05-2010, 9:59 PM
Thursday, I went to an auction that listed some woodworking equipment. Not much I was interested in except a Ryobi miter saw stand. This one http://www.finehomebuilding.com/toolguide/product-finder/ryobi-miter-saw-stand.aspx Home Depot sells it locally for 99.95 so I thought I would go as high as 50 or 60 dollars on the one at the auction. It looked new. I was hopeful because prices were generally very low with some good bargains. I hang around all morning hoping to score. Final price? $150.00 freaking dollars.. Sigh....:mad: Pays to know what your buying.

Matt Ranum
03-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Auctions are funny sometimes. People get all caught up in winning rather watching what it is their bidding on. Been to a lot of them over the years and it doesn't matter if its an auction selling semi trucks or an estate auction. Ya just never know how it will come out.

Clarence Miller
03-05-2010, 10:34 PM
I have done the same however I have been able to fall upstairs a couple times. I was able to pick up a bench mounted pedal actuated biscuit joiner, it still had the $499 price sticker on it but I got it for $30 because nobody else knew what it was. Also picked up my DeWalt radial arm saw for $65 that day. However I have been stuck a few times as well buying tools that crapped out after I got them home. But my first tablesaw, a B&D, was saved from a trip to the dump when a friend was throwing it away. If I had only known what that was gonna start.
The worst auction I went to was an estate sale where 3 brothers were having a bidding war over their dad's tools. Any tool worth bringing home brought new or better price. I like to go to the ones during a snowstorm or when it is 110 in the shade. That's where the bargains really show up.
well that's my 2 cents worth

Tom Veatch
03-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Thursday, I went to an auction that listed some woodworking equipment. Not much I was interested in except a Ryobi miter saw stand. This one http://www.finehomebuilding.com/toolguide/product-finder/ryobi-miter-saw-stand.aspx Home Depot sells it locally for 99.95 so I thought I would go as high as 50 or 60 dollars on the one at the auction. It looked new. I was hopeful because prices were generally very low with some good bargains. I hang around all morning hoping to score. Final price? $150.00 freaking dollars.. Sigh....:mad: Pays to know what your buying.

Tell me about it.

Went to a local auction a couple of years ago. Paid $50 for an el-cheapo lathe, figuring the motor might be worth that even if I decided not to get on the turning slope. Found out it was a Homier (sp?) house brand that I could have bought new in the box for 49.95. Grrrr!!:o

Mike Jones NM
03-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Yup, I have seen things go for much more then if they were new but have also seen, and purchased, things for well below cost.
My nearly new craftsman radial arm saw I paid $50.00 for.
I hit one a couple of years ago. Left with the short bed of the truck full as well as the cab full of power and hand tools. Spent a total of $150.00
Sold pretty much all of it within a week or so.
I'm headed to one tomorrow that has a shopsmith mark 5.
Looked at it today, good shape but the man only used it as a drill press and horizontal bore and got rid of all the other accessories, lathe tools, sander, and table saw. Figure if I can pick it up for under a couple hundred bucks it will be worth it. Only thing I'm interested in is the horizontal bore and the lathe.

Mike Jones NM
03-06-2010, 6:32 PM
Well I didn't get the shopsmith, it went for $350.00 which was more then I thought it was worth given the lack of original equipment it should have come with.
I did pick up a solid oak entertainement center though for $11.85:D

George Sanders
03-07-2010, 7:49 AM
I went to look at a sale yesterday where a lot of farmers consigned a lot of stuff. I did good last year but this year most everything should have gone to the scrapyard. I left without bidding on anything.
I have seen people pay higher than new for many things and those are the sales where I leave early. They have more money than sense. The best sales are in inclement weather on a weekday.
I like it when someone consigns items too late to list in the flyer. Many bargains can be had this way so sometimes it pays to go look even if nothing you're interested in is listed. That's how I picked up two planers which I more than doubled my on when I sold them.

Dave Johnson29
03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
To me, unless you are doing it for entertainment or out of boredom for something else to do, auctions are a waste of time.

By the time you factor in the cost of gas driving back and forth and the waste of several hours of your time, only to see stuff go for stupid prices, I am happy to miss out on that odd bargain.

I have not been to an auction for probably 15 years although a neighbor goes to them like an addiction. He has more useless rusting crap bought at killer prices than you can poke a stick at. I pity the heirs when he dies. Now that will be an auction to miss. :D:D

Michael Weber
03-07-2010, 11:20 AM
To me, unless you are doing it for entertainment or out of boredom for something else to do, auctions are a waste of time.

By the time you factor in the cost of gas driving back and forth and the waste of several hours of your time, only to see stuff go for stupid prices, I am happy to miss out on that odd bargain.

I have not been to an auction for probably 15 years although a neighbor goes to them like an addiction. He has more useless rusting crap bought at killer prices than you can poke a stick at. I pity the heirs when he dies. Now that will be an auction to miss. :D:D

Well, there is a little entertainment value involved but mostly looking for that killer deal of which I have made several over the years. Latest was about 200 bf of lyptus and maple lumber for $17.50 :eek:. It was all clear and S4S 12 feet long and is awaiting use in the shop. May be stopping soon as it's getting increasingly difficult to follow bidding due to a communications disorder. I am also amazed at junk people will buy at inflated prices like boxes of rusting nails/metal/horse shoes/etc. while truly nice things often go begging. Wanted to go to one this weekend that had a "Radial Arm Miter Saw" listed:confused: Figured it to be a SCMS but the location was too far.:(

Craig D Peltier
03-07-2010, 11:35 AM
I was at one a month ago. I think one 50" wide belt sander went for 1500 and another for 500. Plus alot of good deals on wood and racks. Im a fan of auctions.
Its always good to have a smartphone with you so you can search online for value at the preview.

george wilson
03-07-2010, 11:50 PM
I saw a cheap sand blasting cabinet go for WAY over retail. This was at an old ship fitter's supply that went out of business. At the same auction,I bought about 2 tons of NOS 1950's vintage wood screws,NOT plated,with a sharp,not punched slot,and SHARP,not rolled screws. I and my partner Jon sold grosses to various museums all over the place. I still must have about 300# of various screws. And they were bought very cheap.

Being in that place was like taking a trip back into time.

Karl Card
03-09-2010, 11:29 PM
I kinda like some auctions... I got very lucky one time and got right at 350 bdft of brazilian walnut, brazilian rosewood, teak and australian jarrah for 64 bucks...

Butch Edwards
03-10-2010, 5:13 AM
my Dad has been an Auctioneer since 1964...still does a little with my brother. sales are a social event as well as a place to buy items being sold. the interaction of the crowd with the Auctioneer is mesmerizing at times... even intense when a much interested item is up for grabs, and there's family involved. deals can be had....mistakes can be made... too many variables on any given saturday to make any guarantees.

Brian Ashton
03-10-2010, 2:48 PM
I used to make tools and the odd time I would see them on epay going for more than I sell them for. Used to email the bidder and identify myself and then ask if they wanted to buy them new for less. For some reason I never got a response back LOL

Jerome Hanby
03-10-2010, 4:59 PM
$350 should get you a decent shape Shopsmith with all the standard gear. If you want one just haunt CL.

Well I didn't get the shopsmith, it went for $350.00 which was more then I thought it was worth given the lack of original equipment it should have come with.
I did pick up a solid oak entertainement center though for $11.85:D

Howard Garner
03-10-2010, 7:16 PM
Don't let ebay catch you doing that. It's call auction interference and will get you thrown off ebay.

Howard Garner

Bill Cunningham
03-11-2010, 10:45 PM
Then there was that old painting done by some guy that cut his ear off.. Guess he never did hear what it went for..:D

I always get better deals at garage sales..

Dave Lehnert
03-12-2010, 6:20 PM
I was at an auction of a woodworking tool manufacture years ago as they were downsizing. HUGE crowd. They first auction off all the office equipment and it was a feeding frenzy. They got to the tools (brand New) and some just sat because no one would even bid on them. Everyone was there for office equipment.