PDA

View Full Version : Florida License for cabinet making?

Virgil Johnson
03-05-2010, 7:19 PM
I am planning on opening a small shop near Ocala and I wondered what the requirements were license-wise. It is kind of hard to pick out what exactly is needed.
Is this a contractor license?
I had the California general license for years but let it lapse when I came to NY.
Anyone familiar with this stuff?

Virgil

David DeCristoforo
03-05-2010, 7:34 PM
I'm not familiar with Florida law specifically but typically, you only need a business license to operate a woodworking/cabinet shop. As long as you only manufacture product, you are not considered a "contractor". If you install cabinets, however, that is another thing entirely. Then you need a license to do the onsite work. You may be required to carry a substantial liability policy as a manufacturer just as you need to be bonded as a contractor.

Virgil Johnson
03-05-2010, 7:45 PM
No problem with the insurance stuff.
In California I had to document 4 years of journeyman level in three skilled trades just to take the exam.
I was wondering what the requirements in FL were to get to the exam.
There is a list of what can be used but I am not sure exactly what they are saying.
They do say a license from another State can be used but my CA license has expired.
Meanwhile I am a corporation in NYS but not sure if that is considered "foreman" status.
I can call the Florida licensing people and find out more but I thought someone here might have a quicker answer for me.

Virgil

Bill Rogers
03-06-2010, 7:17 AM
Try shooting an e-mail to the Florida Department of Regulation. Here is the link to their site: http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/index.html.

One word of warning: there are a ton of cabinet shops that are going out of business in Florida due to the lack of business caused by our depressed real estate market.

Look at the Craigslist postings for all of the larger cities. You will see a lot of woodworking equipment that is being sold by cabinet shops that have closed up.

Bill

John Coloccia
03-06-2010, 8:46 AM
You're telling me that there is an examine you have to take before you're allowed to make cabinets???

Paul Atkins
03-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Only if you sell them. You can make as many as you want otherwise.

John Coloccia
03-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Good heavens. Is this common, or is this just a Florida/California thing. I've never heard of anything like this up in the Northeast. Then again, I don't sell cabinets.

Bill Rogers
03-06-2010, 1:09 PM
I recently purchased a Powermatic 100 Planer from a person who closed his Cabinet Shop. He told me that a Cabinet Shop is only required to have an Occupational License issued by the local government agency. You might also be required to have a business license.

Here is a tidbit that I pulled off of the FDBPR's website about entities that are not required to have a license:

Paint; install cabinets, wood or tile flooring, and insulation regardless of compensation.

Bill

Bob Glenn
03-06-2010, 1:29 PM
Just another example of big government sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong. :mad: Don't get me started.

Virgil Johnson
03-07-2010, 6:32 AM
Thank you all for the information and thoughts.
I kinda have more of a direction.

I will call and find what the facts are but at least I know what questions to be asking.

When I said cabinet shop it was not quite accurate. What I make here in NY (State) is mostly garden structures with occasional animal shelters (hen and goat and rabbet) which is nice litte niche. I am thinking around the Ocala region where there are a lot of nice (race) horse and cattle ranches it might be a way to.
Of course there is still small but steady demand for the one off cabinet and built-ins. I bet the Villages (for those of you familiar with that world - if not Google The Villages in Florida) would also offer some great opportunities.)

Here also there is the crash in real estate but the small demand is enough to keep this one man show going.

Virgil