PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Paddle Switch Install?

Bruce Elasik
03-05-2010, 5:27 PM
Is there any reason that one of the large(shut off) paddle switches used on a table saw should not be used in conjunction (inline)with the original switch in place---does everyone just replace the original switch or just add the second switch? I've read through the switch threads but havent seen this question asked.

Chip Lindley
03-05-2010, 5:39 PM
Bruce, if the switch is a manual type (click on/click off), replace the original switch with the new paddle type. No reason to retain the original if it is the manual type.

IF the original is a magnetic starter switch, you need a momentary pushbutton switch (as with older Delta/Rockwell) connected to it externally. I don't think Grizzly sells a momentary on/off paddle switch.

Joseph Tarantino
03-05-2010, 6:02 PM
i just modified the inside of the cover with the large "stop" paddle,removed the old cover from a jet 18" BS and applied the new cover. works like a charm while keeping the oem electrical switch on the tool.

Cody Colston
03-05-2010, 9:42 PM
On my Grizzly 1023SLX, I kept the original switch and made a paddle for it out of 1/2" plywood. There were two countersunk screw holes in the rail, just above the switch location.

I made the paddle, used a scrap piece of piano hinge to attach it to a narrow top piece and then screwed into that piece through the holes in the rail.

A cut-out allows me to push the start button and an extra piece of 1/2" ply, glued on the paddle opposite the "Off" button allows me to shut it off with just a bump of the knee.

It works great and didn't cost a thing but about 1/2 hour shop time.

Bruce Elasik
03-05-2010, 9:56 PM
Guess i'll get rid of the old switch.

Andrew W. Thomas
03-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I like that design Cody... I think I'll use it...

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 12:05 AM
I like that design Cody... I think I'll use it...

You can also drop that all the wau down near the floor. The Wood Whisperer has one on his PM66 (before the newer bump off switch like the 2000 has) that you can see in one of his first pod casts called something like the king in his castle.

Dave Cav
03-06-2010, 12:08 AM
On my Grizzly 1023SLX, I kept the original switch and made a paddle for it out of 1/2" plywood.

snip

It works great and didn't cost a thing but about 1/2 hour shop time.

I did the same thing on my Delta HD shaper with the push button switches. Works fine.

On my Unisaw, I wanted to keep the vintage "Unisaw" on/off switch but also wanted a paddle switch, so I mounted a Griz paddle switch on the left side of the table and wired the OEM switch through it. When changing a blade I switch both of them off. I also have a Griz paddle switch in the same location on my Delta 12/14" TS but in this case it's just switching the low voltage control wiring for the VFD.

John Sanford
03-06-2010, 2:05 AM
I have a large E-Z Off (or some such) on my saw, and I left the original switch on. I like having both switches, because turning it on requires two switches in the On position, whereas turning it off only takes hitting either one. The aftermarket switch also has a key lockout. Yeah, sometimes I don't have both switches on, but it's a very minor annoyance compared to the extra safety of having a double switch.

Lance Norris
03-06-2010, 11:46 AM
Heres mine...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=84897&d=1206476870