PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioner mounting

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2010, 4:48 PM
I may need to hang an AC compressor at an angle maybe 90 degrees or 45 out of vertical.

I've never seen this done.
Any one know a reason why the compressor might not be happy with that?

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2010, 5:13 PM
Possibly the oil. Most a/c systems have oil in with the freon to lubricate components. If sitting off for a while, it might pool at the wrong spot and create problems. I remember on refrigerators, if transported on their sides for any reason, I was told not to turn it on for a couple days after getting it back vertical. You might talk to an a/c person to make sure the same thing holds true for a/c units. I'm guessing we're talking about window air units? Jim.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2010, 5:21 PM
I was wondering about something pretty much like that.
It crossed my mind that they were always found mounted in one way maybe because they are heavy and a frame strong enough to hold them at some odd angle would cost more money, but there was a concern I had about some gravity operation like you mentioned.

Bearing loading also crossed my mind. Some things don't like to be out of true because of bearing loading and the gyro effect.

Jim Finn
03-05-2010, 6:57 PM
.................Bearing loading also crossed my mind.
When I was installing AC units for a living we ALWAYS made sure the unit was level! Oil recovery and bearing looading are the issues.

Myk Rian
03-05-2010, 7:24 PM
There are areas in the AC unit where the freon is a liquid. The only angle you can mount a window unit is with a slight slope to the outside. This keeps condensate away from the window area.

Dave Johnson29
03-05-2010, 8:02 PM
I may need to hang an AC compressor at an angle maybe 90 degrees or 45 out of vertical.

You may need a new A/C very shortly thereafter. Oil does not compress and if it gets into the swept area of the compressor. Can we all say "stalled and fried?"

Can't you duct for the 45 or 90?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Well that's it then.
The pump has to remain level.

I have to dismount the chiller component from a dehumidifier and manipulate it into a tank of antifreeze where it'll spend the rest of it's unnatural life. I suppose I could pay an HVAC guy to make me an extension and recharge the system. If I fail bad enough I may end up doing that.
But these things are tough.
I recall as a kid breaking a window AC unit apart. I though I was going to have an easy time liberating the freon. I bent it and twisted it and eventually hit it with an axe. It was tough. So Maybe I'll succeed.