PDA

View Full Version : #3 and #4 Turnings

Clark Harbaugh
03-05-2010, 3:32 PM
So, I am relatively new to turning bowls. These are #3 and #4. #1 and #2 simply became firewood.

#3 is a spalted sycamore semi-hollow form. I can tell you that as a relatively inexperienced bowl turner, this one was difficult with all of the soft wood in it. It really help me to figure out some of my techniques. It started much bigger, but ended up at 8" by 4" tall. One interesting thing happened to me while turning this. At one point, i felt something hit my shirt that was heavier than normal turning ships. I look down and a worm had flown out of one of the holes :)

#4 is a piece of figured maple I picked up at Rockler. It is also is about 8" in diameter by about 2".

I welcome all feedback and suggestions. This is definitely a vortex...

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 3:37 PM
Pretty wood on both pieces. Welcome to the vortex. That's a pretty tough form for a number 3... Nicely done.

bob svoboda
03-05-2010, 4:16 PM
These are definitely not firewood. I especially like the HF-Great job, especially for early on. Hey--what about a firewood makers forum---I could be president!!!

Gary Chester
03-05-2010, 5:17 PM
Worms... another reason to wear a face shield...

Nice job!

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2010, 5:26 PM
Nice job on both pieces.

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 6:59 PM
Nice wood, and a good job on both. Partial to the curly maple piece, but that is some nice sycamore, too.

Worms... another reason to wear a face shield...

Nice job!If not, definitely don't turn with your mouth open!!:eek:

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2010, 7:02 PM
Clark - nice work on both pieces! I've had a few critters smack my faceshield when turning and it does get your attention! Still, lots better than years ago when I had a Harley and had to pick bugs out of my teeth!

The hollow form is a pretty hard form to do. What tool did you use?

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 8:23 PM
They look nice pretty wood. Never been hit by a worm yet although I did find half of one when I stopped the lathe to check out my progress.:)

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 9:00 PM
Really nice looking pieces. Yep a face shield is a must.

Steve Mawson
03-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Nice wood, and a good job on both. Partial to the curly maple piece, but that is some nice sycamore, too.
If not, definitely don't turn with your mouth open!!:eek:

Or keep your mouth really wide open then you don't get any bugs on you. I have another story along those lines but probably best kept to myself. Nice job on the turnings by the way. Really like the maple. Always amazed how curly maple looks when finished nicely.

James Combs
03-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Very nice. I hope all the worms are gone. If not perhaps you could train one to show the bowl, a built in tour guide if you will.:D:rolleyes:

Allen Neighbors
03-06-2010, 8:44 AM
#3 and #4? Nice work... (look out John, he's after you).
You're doing Well! About my first 10 went into the wood stove. :)

Clark Harbaugh
03-06-2010, 7:17 PM
The hollow form is a pretty hard form to do. What tool did you use?

I used a 1/2" deep fluted bowl gouge for most of the hollowing until I had vertical sides on the inside of the bowl. I then used a Sorby Hollow Master to finish the shape.

Clark Harbaugh
03-06-2010, 7:21 PM
#3 and #4? Nice work... (look out John, he's after you).

I think John has a better eye for shape and form, although I hope that comes with some more experience.

On another note, I rough turned #5 today, and the LOML asked, " what are you going to do with all of these bowls you're turning?". I told her I was going to replace the 'show china' (you know, the stuff that has never been used...) in the display cabinet with my turnings. I think I'm on the couch tonight...:)