PDA

View Full Version : Angle question

Jerry Wervey
03-05-2010, 3:29 PM
I am in the process of making the shoe of the plane smooth right now their are still some of the original grinding marks from when it was new have most of the marks out but that is not the question. Here it is is it okay to put the iron back in the plane then proceed to take it to th stone and come up with the exact angle that by working the iron to a smooth edge, then taking the iron out and continuing the sharpening process.

Jerry

James Scheffler
03-05-2010, 4:07 PM
I am in the process of making the shoe of the plane smooth right now their are still some of the original grinding marks from when it was new have most of the marks out but that is not the question. Here it is is it okay to put the iron back in the plane then proceed to take it to th stone and come up with the exact angle that by working the iron to a smooth edge, then taking the iron out and continuing the sharpening process.

Jerry

Generally, irons are sharpened at an angle of 25 to 30 degrees for bevel down bench planes. You don't need to put it in the plane to determine the angle. All sharpening operations take place with the iron outside of the plane.

I'm not sure I totally understand your question, but the bevel angle on the iron is generally not the same as the angle between the iron and the bottom of the plane. Therefore, putting the iron in the plane during sharpening really isn't going to help. (The only exception I can think of is when you have a skewed blade like a moulding plane or skew rabbet plane.)

Jim

Joel Goodman
03-05-2010, 4:31 PM

Jerry

The plane will not function correctly if there isn't a relief angle -- that is the iron in a bevel down plane must be sharpened at a more acute angle than the bedding angle. As mentioned for a bevel down standard plane 25 to 30 degrees is used which provides a relief angle of 15 - 20 degrees.

Richard Magbanua
03-05-2010, 5:47 PM
To continue what Joel says, a relief angle is needed because as wood is planed the fibers are compressed and then spring back. If there is no relief angle to allow for this then the blade would eventually be forced out of the cut. At least that's what I was taught.

Jerry Wervey
03-06-2010, 2:48 AM
Set the iron at 25 degrees and went through the paces and it is now read the newspaper sharp, just wish that I had a shoulder plane to go with the mix working on tenons and it sure would be handy about now.
Jerr from MN