PDA

View Full Version : I might be a redneck!

Dennis Ford
03-05-2010, 2:08 PM
I have had thoughts on making my lathe portable for a while, finally actually did something about it. The "Mobility kit" is removable. The wheels & axle remove with 3 pins. The hitch removes with 4 bolts. I need to make a couple of adjustments but it seems to work.

Kevin J Lalonde
03-05-2010, 2:12 PM
I think you should remove the might and replace with "am"!! You sir are addicted!! Awesome job!

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 2:22 PM
Dennis, you could weld a tractor seat on that thing, get the wife to drive, and turn while you tour!!

alex carey
03-05-2010, 2:34 PM
I'm with John, definitely do that.

Eric Kosanovich
03-05-2010, 2:48 PM
Nice.......

Ray Bell
03-05-2010, 2:54 PM
Yep, add a beer cooler, and gun rack and you will be there. Great idea btw.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 3:09 PM
Dennis, that's pretty creative.

Maybe you can educate me, is "Redneck" derogatory?

A few years ago Diann and I were on a motorcycle vacation in Michigan, and we were at a gas pump filling the bikes.

In comes a picnic table, with a man sitting on one side and his wife on the other. They pulled up to the pump opposite me and filled it up.

They had adapted what looked like parts of a garden tractor to fit under the table, a salad bowl on top of the table was the steering wheel, and a mustard and ketchup bottle were other controls (throttle maybe)?

Unfortunately by the time I got my camera unpacked they had left to go downtown, where there was some sort of summer festival going on.

Their picnic table looked just as creative as your lathe.

Regards, Rod.

charlie knighton
03-05-2010, 4:24 PM
very nice....

Mark Hazelden
03-05-2010, 4:41 PM
Now that's something you won't see every day!

Nicely done.

Ian Parish
03-05-2010, 5:08 PM
Dennis, that's pretty creative.

Maybe you can educate me, is "Redneck" derogatory?

Regards, Rod.

Depends if'n you is a RedNeck or one of them thair city folks. (This type of bad grammar fits the redneck part) A RedNeck over here is generally a country - cowboy - build it, make it work, just get it done kinda person.

The term and many jokes about it come from a commedian "Jeff FoxWorthy" and the term originally may have meant that your neck got sunburned while you were out in the sun doing real work.

Gary Chester
03-05-2010, 5:11 PM
I want to see you straddle it and take a buckin' bronco ride with your cowboy hat held high in the air...

Can you make that 8 second ride???

gary Zimmel
03-05-2010, 6:50 PM
Don't forget the reins and a pair of spurs to stay in the saddle on those interstates....
We live on an acerage and have horses.
My wife Geri got a kick out of this.

Great job on getting mobile Dennis....

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2010, 7:15 PM
Dennis - that is an award winning mobile device you have there! It's funny as heck but practical at the same time! Don't know whether to bust out laughing or order one! :D

Pretty cool! I am sure there is a market somewhere for this!

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 8:16 PM
That is a first for me! One picture I won't soon forget!

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 9:06 PM
That is different for sure but pretty cool.

Roland Martin
03-05-2010, 9:35 PM
Individuality, Priceless!

Jake Helmboldt
03-05-2010, 10:46 PM
I have had thoughts on making my lathe portable for a while, finally actually did something about it. The "Mobility kit" is removable. The wheels & axle remove with 3 pins. The hitch removes with 4 bolts. I need to make a couple of adjustments but it seems to work.

My first thought was that it looked like a piece of artillery. Is that the new Howitzer lathe?:p

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 10:57 PM
In this part of the country, that would be considered a status symbol!

Ernie Nyvall
03-05-2010, 11:38 PM
That is very cool Dennis. Portability is why I bought a small lathe too. This would dang sure eliminate that idea. I do have a concern though and you may be fully aware of this since you can obviously weld and make a trailer. It just seems like you would need a cross beam going from the back of the bracket from the front leg to the rear wheel frame. I'd hate to see you pull that leg off. Also, part of the reason we level a lathe is because ways can get warped from a constant turning on an off balanced/not leveled lathe, so I wonder if this setup would in any way do such a thing. Probably not for a short distance, but for a couple hundred miles or more. I'm just throwing things out to you because I think you have a great idea. There are a couple of places I visit and spend a few days where I'd love to have my lathe along to keep from going stir crazy. Hmmm, I do have an axle out back just sitting there too.

Mark Hix
03-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I can hear it now.......Dang, which city did I leave my skew in?

Jon Lanier
03-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Now, can you get it registered with the DMV? Where do you put the license plate?

Mark Burge
03-06-2010, 12:12 AM
I think you should adapt it to run off the PTO of your tractor. With enough swing, you could turn a whole tree that way. :-)

Allen Neighbors
03-06-2010, 8:41 AM
***I might be a redneck!***

Yep. :D

Scott Lux
03-06-2010, 9:07 AM
I'll be the devil's advocate here. I'm a little concerned about the stresses on that front leg.

It's not designed to support much lateral force. It's designed to support weight from above. In theory, there shouldn't be much lateral force, only the weight of the lathe/trailer + friction(I'm not an engineer, I'm guessing here).

When starting up it shouldn't matter. But a couple of hard stops and you could need some serious work on your lathe.

Jim Underwood
03-06-2010, 9:17 AM
I'm wondering if it will cook barbeque also......:D

Cool! Sure makes packing it up easier.

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I like that! At the very least, add a cup holder!