PDA

View Full Version : Accura Edge sander... thoughts or owners?

Sean Cline
03-05-2010, 1:49 PM
Hello All,

I have been looking at all of the 6x89 edge sanders and found the Accura 2280 edge sander for $675. This is significantly less than the others (Jet, Grizzly, Steel City, Shop Fox, etc.) at around $1000. Does anyone own one and if so, how is it? Does it compare to the others? I know that it looks the same as all of the rest but there can be major differences (material selection and build quality to name a few). Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Sean

Cary Falk
03-05-2010, 3:21 PM
I can't answer your question but I am interested in the replies. I have been looking at edge sanders for some time now. I think I saw a 6x108 Accura somewhere once for much cheaper then the rest. FWIW, CPO Jet is suppose to be having a 15-40% sale next weekend. I don't know what the edge sanders are going to be marked as.

Matt Meiser
03-05-2010, 3:23 PM
I thought about it. I ended up buy a Grizzly G0512 through Ebay and got 8% cash back instantly making the price $667 before shipping. Grizzly charges $94 for shipping, I'm going on the assumption that Accura probably can't get those rates, don't know because they never responded to my email.

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 3:37 PM
I can't answer your question but I am interested in the replies. I have been looking at edge sanders for some time now. I think I saw a 6x108 Accura somewhere once for much cheaper then the rest. FWIW, CPO Jet is suppose to be having a 15-40% sale next weekend. I don't know what the edge sanders are going to be marked as.

The WMH sale is at all dealers, IF CPO is just following the nationwide sale most power tools will be 10% off MAPP (the normal street price) with a lathe, 4 DCs and a 3hp shaper 20-40% off.

As for Accura they are just clones and probably do come from the same factory as Grizzly Jet Delta and others. The question that no one can answer is are they all the same quality, they look identical (more or less) except for paint but is that all there is? Does PM get the best QCed off the line and Accura (and the other "no-name" versions) get the worst or do they all just get a different color paint? The biggest difference may be warranty length and support Jet/PM/Delta has 5 years, Shop Fox 2 and Grizzly 1, don't know what the others have but bet the support would be lower no matter how long the warranty is. Most of the parts that count seem to interchange so you can use Grizzly's huge parts department.

The question of Accura comes up here once in a while, but I have never seen anyone that actually owns one. I look at it this way, if you are the kind of person that feels comfortable with the guts of machines and would be comfortable buying used and want to keep your budget tight they well might be worth a try. If nothng less like I said you almost certainly can get parts.

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 7:16 PM
Interesting quote from their site regarding their 15" planer:

"PLEASE NOTE: We are subsituting the SHOP FOX 15' made in the same factory for this unit. This listing is for the best selling planer in our lineup! It features a heavy duty 3 hp 220 volt single phase motor and its 2 speed feed system (16 or 20 FPM) allow for you to match your feed speed to the material being planed for the best finish. "