PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop Gloat

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Maybe this gloat is a bit premature.

But my wife gave me the okay for a Sawstop PCS!!!!!

I'm typing one handed while doing a fist pump with the other!

I have an older Jet contractor saw that works great... I actually just upgraded the fence, added a router extension table and an outfeed table. Then on Tuesday I started watching the videos on the Sawstop site and it truly freaked me out.

Listening to guys talk about their injuries- how they happened and how they have affected their lives - put a pit in my stomach. For some reason, up until that point I really underestimated how big of a deal it would be if I cut a finger or two off. I guess I thought to myself "I'll just be careful, and if it happens, at least it won't kill me."

But putting a human face to the injuries made me realize that this expense really isn't that big in the grand scheme. I would hate myself if I cut my finger off on my contractor saw after having decided the SS wasn't worth the money.

So anyway, I decided to show my wife the videos. It's BY FAR the most manipulative thing I've ever done. LOL. She didn't flinch. She said "How much" and I told her the price of the contractor saw with the options I wanted. She said "that's not very much." Last night I was able to convince her that I should get the PCS, since it will likely be the last saw I'll ever buy.

That took a little more work, but she came around.

BTW, I'm still typing one handed! :) :)

I'm probably picking the machine up this weekend! Any advice out there?

Dan Friedrichs
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Any advice out there?

Have it drop shipped to my place. I'll get it aligned for you :D

Rob Hough
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
very nice. looking forward to the pics.

David Prince
03-05-2010, 12:27 PM
The 1986 movie called Maximum Overdrive where the machines come to life and become homicidal comes to mind when I think of SawStop. It is physically impossible for a table saw to chase me down and kill me, but the saw could miss the opportunity to stop the blade when my finger hits it. I just prefer to keep my fingers out of the way and will not trust a spinning blade no matter what the brand is. I just find it hard to trust a machine part enough to justify the price tag it asks.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 12:37 PM
The 1986 movie called Maximum Overdrive where the machines come to life and become homicidal comes to mind when I think of SawStop. It is physically impossible for a table saw to chase me down and kill me, but the saw could miss the opportunity to stop the blade when my finger hits it. I just prefer to keep my fingers out of the way and will not trust a spinning blade no matter what the brand is. I just find it hard to trust a machine part enough to justify the price tag it asks.

LOL! You definitely made me chuckle.

I hear you man. I don't plan to change the way I work around the saw. I'll take the same precautions as I do now. But that extra peace of mind is worth it to me (and I recognize that it isn't worth it to everyone).

But let's focus on how lucky of a bastard I am and not on the "SS is for wusses" argument that comes up twice/week on SMC!!! ha ha

Michael MacDonald
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I actually lay awake at night worrying that my router will come alive. And just the other day... true story... I turned my Bosch ROS off and put it down, and it came right back on! It spun off the bench and onto the floor. Naturally, I put my leg out to break the fall. Something bad happened to it though. Little rattles when I use it. I opened the case just enough to allow a few broken plastic pieces to shake out. It still seems to work OK, and the rattle is gone... It hasn't come alive since then, except when I turn it one, of course.

What was this thread about again? oh right... Congrats on the TS!

Marty Paulus
03-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Strange. I always thought of a gloat as "Look what I just stole from the previous owner." Not I am going to go and pay retail for a really nice piece of equipment. Must just be me. :rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Strange. I always thought of a gloat as "Look what I just stole from the previous owner." Not I am going to go and pay retail for a really nice piece of equipment. Must just be me. :rolleyes:

I don't know, I'm much happier with this kind of gloat than "Look what I just stole from the previous owner"

I guess that's why when I bought a used #5 1/2 corrugated plane from a cow-orker, I gave him another $20 the next week. After doing some research on plane pricing, I realized that I had under estimated what it was worth.

So Peter, great new gloat!

We're both celebrating since I just received a call from Felder that my B3 Winner just passed electrical inspection and I can schedule delivery.

Woo Hoo.............Rod.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Get the SS mobile base while you're there. It's the best base. Unless you will never move that saw.

You'll be happy, it's an awesome saw.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 12:58 PM

I'm gloating about how I convinced the wife to agree to this purchase... not so much about the price (which will sting a little). Sorry for the inconvenience!

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't know, I'm much happier with this kind of gloat than "Look what I just stole from the previous owner"

I guess that's why when I bought a used #5 1/2 corrugated plane from a cow-orker, I gave him another $20 the next week. After doing some research on plane pricing, I realized that I had under estimated what it was worth.

So Peter, great new gloat!

We're both celebrating since I just received a call from Felder that my B3 Winner just passed electrical inspection and I can schedule delivery.

Woo Hoo.............Rod.

Well congrats to you as well!!! That will be quite a machine!

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2010, 1:42 PM
This is a neaner and not a gloat. :)

Congrats just the same. You will be very happy. You still have a ton of tools in your shop with no brake so do not show her those.

Paul Ryan
03-05-2010, 1:52 PM
Congrates

My wife ran across the sawstop adds long before I ever brought it up. At that time it was the contractor and I just couldn't bring myself to buy the contractor. Then along came the PCS and my wife basically insisted. It was now they are making the saw you want what are you waiting for. I have told you for a year I would feel more comfotable if you were using on of their saws.

You will love it. If you move the saw alot and park it against walls, you may want the ICS base because it have 4 swivel wheels. I have the PCS base and it is a real nice base, but when parking against walls it can be somewhat of a pain. But the base is $100 and change less than the ICS base.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 2:00 PM

Ha ha, man! I guess I need to read the SMC handbook! ;)

Congrats just the same. You will be very happy. You still have a ton of tools in your shop with no brake so do not show her those.

Excellent point!! She did ask me "what about the other tools in your shop?" and I gave her the schpeal about how most amputation injuries occur on the TS, etc. She bought it, but it was a close call. ;)

Marty Paulus
03-05-2010, 2:04 PM
Peter. Not meant harmful. Anyone who gets a brand new piece of equipment deserves some congrats. I am a CL person. I have only bought one large machine new, my bandsaw. I got that on clearance. Otherwise I look for the deals on CL.

Congrats on the SS! Just for the record I am jelous.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 2:05 PM
Congrates
You will love it. If you move the saw alot and park it against walls, you may want the ICS base because it have 4 swivel wheels. I have the PCS base and it is a real nice base, but when parking against walls it can be somewhat of a pain. But the base is $100 and change less than the ICS base.

Great advice. I plan to get the long rails on the saw. The way my space is arranged, I really only have a foot or so of clearance between the saw and the walls on either side of the saw. It's a fairly narrow room.

I won't be moving the saw regularly (if at all), but I'm scratching my head trying to think of how I will move a 450 lb machine around if/when I need to. So maybe I should get the mobile base just in case.

For me, I may not want to pay the extra $100 for the ICS unit just because I won't be moving the saw enough to need the extra convenience. But I should probably get the integrated mobile base at the very least.

Rick Prosser
03-05-2010, 2:06 PM
Get the SS mobile base while you're there. It's the best base. Unless you will never move that saw.

You'll be happy, it's an awesome saw.

+1
I did not buy the base, but when I got ready to assemble, I realized the error of my ways - and ordered the base.

The ICS base is another option if you need swivel wheels - but $$.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 2:09 PM
Peter. Not meant harmful. Anyone who gets a brand new piece of equipment deserves some congrats. I am a CL person. I have only bought one large machine new, my bandsaw. I got that on clearance. Otherwise I look for the deals on CL.

Congrats on the SS! Just for the record I am jelous.

No harm taken, brother. I don't think I understood the proper usage of the word "gloat". But I'm gloating nonetheless!! ;) :p

Ray Bell
03-05-2010, 2:44 PM
Peter, awesome saw, and go ahead and gloat if you want to. Congrats, where did you buy it?

Michael MacDonald
03-05-2010, 3:00 PM
Great advice. I plan to get the long rails on the saw. The way my space is arranged, I really only have a foot or so of clearance between the saw and the walls on either side of the saw.

you will have trouble cutting long stock then without moving the saw... I have to move my TS to angle it so I can cross cut anything longer than 50" (assuming I have to take just a bit off the end). And if I rip anything longer than 68", I have to angle it even more... the contractor version has two wheels welded in place, so I end up dragging it more than I roll it. (I don't have enought space to go through the motions to parallel park it.) Four swivel casters would be real nice...

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2010, 3:22 PM

Ok, I'll ask .............Neaner???????

regards, Rod.

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2010, 3:41 PM
I see no reason this should not be considered a gloat. Congrats on the new saw. You're gonna love it!!

gloat

  http://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/g/d/speaker.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/audio.html/lunaWAV/G01/G0191900) /gloʊt/ http://sp.ask.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif (http://dictionary.reference.com/help/luna/IPA_pron_key.html) Show Spelled
–verb (used without object)

1. to look at or think about with great or excessive, often smug or malicious, satisfaction: The opposing team gloated over our bad luck.

2. to convey hyper-enthusiasm in regards to the purchase of a new piece of woodworking machinery which has as its primary color, black... regardless of the price paid

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 3:48 PM
you will have trouble cutting long stock then without moving the saw... I have to move my TS to angle it so I can cross cut anything longer than 50" (assuming I have to take just a bit off the end). And if I rip anything longer than 68", I have to angle it even more... the contractor version has two wheels welded in place, so I end up dragging it more than I roll it. (I don't have enought space to go through the motions to parallel park it.) Four swivel casters would be real nice...

I have a makeshift wall-hanging circular saw cutting guide I built a few years ago. Far from accurate, but it helps me break sheet goods down enough to get them through the TS. My current saw has the same footprint of the new one, so I think I'll be okay.

regards, Rod.

You know, when little kids say to each other "neaner neaner neaner!"... I would consider it a subset of gloating. lol

I see no reason this should not be considered a gloat. Congrats on the new saw. You're gonna love it!!

gloat

   /gloʊt/ Show Spelled
–verb (used without object)

1. to look at or think about with great or excessive, often smug or malicious, satisfaction: The opposing team gloated over our bad luck.

2. to convey hyper-enthusiasm in regards to the purchase of a new piece of woodworking machinery which has as its primary color, black... regardless of the price paid

LOL!

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 3:49 PM
Peter, awesome saw, and go ahead and gloat if you want to. Congrats, where did you buy it?

Hi Ray, I still have yet to buy it (hopefully this weekend if I can borrow a friend's truck). I plan to get it at the Woodcraft store in South Seattle.

Jim O'Dell
03-05-2010, 4:15 PM

regards, Rod.

The way I understand it, a gloat is something you got for an unbelievable price, and is more of a one time thing. A neaner is something you got at a really special price, but so did a lot of others. Jim.

Brent Ring
03-05-2010, 4:28 PM
He is getting a saw he has always wanted - did not think he could afford or sell (to the wife). I am happy for him. Good on ya! Gloat away! I am planning a similar gloat for sometime near the beginning of June.

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 5:24 PM
I'm gloating about how I convinced the wife to agree to this purchase... not so much about the price (which will sting a little). Sorry for the inconvenience!

I think what you meant to say is that you're gloating about what a wonderful wife you have. :)

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2010, 5:27 PM
I think what you meant to say is that you're gloating about what a wonderful wife you have. :)

Now THAT is gloat-worthy!!!!

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 5:29 PM

ha ha, you sound like my wife... Cara, did you create an SMC account under the name "Victor Robinson?!" Are you spying on me?!? ;)

You're absolutely right. Here's the funny thing. When she said she was cool with it, I actually teared up. No, I'm not joking. She had a hay day with that!

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 5:53 PM
ha ha, you sound like my wife... Cara, did you create an SMC account under the name "Victor Robinson?!" Are you spying on me?!? ;)

You're absolutely right. Here's the funny thing. When she said she was cool with it, I actually teared up. No, I'm not joking. She had a hay day with that!

You don't have to search too far back to find my own thread about my wife approving a SS. I know exactly how it goes. ;)

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2010, 7:13 PM
The way I understand it, a gloat is something you got for an unbelievable price, and is more of a one time thing. A neaner is something you got at a really special price, but so can a lot of others. Jim.

Yep! Jim's got it. +1

Chip Lindley
03-05-2010, 8:13 PM
IF my wife EVER insisted I go out and buy a very expensive NEW SawStop, I would have her followed 24/7 by a Private Eye!

Paul Ryan
03-05-2010, 8:28 PM
I can 1 up your wife though. This is no nonsense. About 8 years ago just for giggles I said I was thinking of buying a motorcycle. She said what are you waiting for I have always wanted to go cruising on one. And to top it off she said we should buy a Harley. I knew I married the right one at that time. Only rule was I must wear a helmet. I broke the rule for the 1st few years, never had an accident. But one day I realized how dumb I was. To me sawstops and helmets are the same thing.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 9:11 PM
IF my wife EVER insisted I go out and buy a very expensive NEW SawStop, I would have her followed 24/7 by a Private Eye!

Wow, I didn't think about that! ha ha

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 9:22 PM
Yep! Jim's got it. +1

I think we need a sticky on SMC etiquette/keyword definitions. Let me start it off:

Gloat: when you get a really good deal that nobody else can get and post it on the forum to make others jealous.

Neaner: Similar to gloating, but when you get a good deal that others can also get on the open market.

Neander: Short for Neanderthal, it is used to describe those who fear electricity ( ;) ). Often used as both a verb and a noun.

BORG: Acronym for "Big Orange Retail Giant", this term was originally used to refer to the large retail chain "Home Depot." Its use has been expanded to include other large home improvement chains such as Lowes.

Any others out there for you sticklers!?!? :P I remember scratching my head at these things when I first joined SMC... apparently I'm still riding the short bus.

Tim Null
03-05-2010, 9:37 PM
Go ahead and call this a Gloat. My wife did the same thing. In another thread I described my medical condition. I am on blood thinners for a cardiac condition. I am doing fine, but bleed like a stuck pig. So a serious cut could be life threatening.

Wife saw the SS videos and told me to buy one. I got the contractor with the professional fence, cast iron fences and mobile base.
Great saw, even better wife!

Congrats and enjoy. And may you never need the brake......

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 9:37 PM

You have brought up an...interesting point. Now several of us won't be getting any sleep tonight. At which point we will leave bed and go curl up with the Sawstop in the shop.

Peter Aeschliman
03-05-2010, 11:57 PM
You have brought up an...interesting point. Now several of us won't be getting any sleep tonight. At which point we will leave bed and go curl up with the Sawstop in the shop.

I'm still laughing. ha ha