PDA

View Full Version : Free Wood--And where to get it!!

Darrick Robbins
11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I thought on the occasion of adding my avatar today I would post a little helpful hint to everyone about a possible wood source in your area (especially those of you with mills). I am an assistant golf course superintendent by day (and moving up sometime soon God willing) and know that we often cut down trees, and occasionally a whole lot of them. Generally they are pretty big, and of a variety of species. Disposal can sometimes be costly (especially in cities), so if you have the means to move the logs I am sure you can find someone willing to give them to you.

This is generally the time of year that we begin trimming and removing trees so keep an eye out when you pass your local course. If you can establish a relationship with the super he may even call you when he has something suitable for you. A couple of words of caution. Supers are often protective of their time since there never seems to be enough hours in the day, so your reception may be better in the winter months. Sometimes trees are tagged as a part of tree invetories so they may have a nail or two, but if you can put up with all of that there is some fine wood out there.

Good Luck!!

Darrick Robbins

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-02-2004, 12:17 PM
I'll second that thought. I work as a Marshal at a local course and have taken some wood home with me. Another source, especially if you live in a small community, is the city, itself. The residents of our town get to scroung around all downed timber that they have removed. They are nice, in that they cut some of it up unto twenty inch logs. (They know, I'm not as strong as I used to be!) They even split some 30-40" dia trunks in two for us.

This last time, I got some sassafrass. It's cut up into turning blanks and drying right now.

Good hunting, it's out there, for the taking. BTW, almost forgot, I have even had state crews help me when they are cutting along roads and freeways, too.

Bruce

John Miliunas
11-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Not recently, but I've gotten some pretty nice crotches and such from folks who cut/split firewood to sell. Those crotches are tough on their equipment and they often just toss them to the side! :) :cool: