PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Glock - issues

Gregg Vaughn
03-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I have seen a few threads and pictures of jobs for engraving Glocks. The element I did not see in any of the threads was if lasering the slide leaves the Glock prone to rust/corosion due to the finish being removed. Or, is the finish only altered?

I know folks should keep their Glock wiped down, clean etc., but the question is bound to come up ....

Lee DeRaud
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I have seen a few threads and pictures of jobs for engraving Glocks. The element I did not see in any of the threads was if lasering the slide leaves the Glock prone to rust/corosion due to the finish being removed. Or, is the finish only altered?No. The engraving just removes the black phosphate(?) coating, but does not penetrate the "tennifer" treatment, which is what really rust-proofs Glocks.
(EDIT: I assume you're just talking about laser engraving, not actual metal removal.)
I know folks should keep their Glock wiped down, clean etc., but the question is bound to come up ....Uh, yeah, right...clean them once a year or every 2000 rounds, whichever comes first, whether they need it or not. :cool:

Chris DeGerolamo
03-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I have done a lot of work etching picatinny rails and upper receivers for AR-15s as well as a nice .50 cal for the NRA and have never had issue with rusting, albeit most of that is aluminum. As far as the finish, you don't end up removing any material from the piece when you etch. I'm thinking the reason that it was never discussed is because it is a nonissue.. hope this helps.

Jack Burton
03-05-2010, 8:49 PM
I am a Glock Factory Certified Armorer. I have discussed this issue with Glock and the guys at Lone Wolf Distr. No adverse issues are expected or have been experienced. The black coating is mainly an anti-reflective treatment the Tenifer is the "good stuff". You can use Lacquer-Stik for fill and it looks incredible!
Send some pictures!

Jani Pedersen
03-05-2010, 9:23 PM
Oh the innocence of old age. I mistook the thread title to mean a glockenspiel :D

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 8:29 PM
Oh the innocence of old age. I mistook the thread title to mean a glockenspiel :D

Well, if you put your ear real close, when it plays, you may never hear anything again..:D

Frank Corker
03-10-2010, 3:38 AM
Well, if you put your ear real close, when it plays, you may never hear anything again..:D

Now that is funny :D

Jani Pedersen
03-10-2010, 8:13 AM
Trust you to find it funny ! hehe

okay - I did grin too