PDA

View Full Version : Jet 18" bandsaw

Aaron Berk
03-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Any one know the going rate on a decent looking Jet 18" BS?

I wasn't able to get much info but the BS looks almost identical to this one --> http://timberlinetools.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Jet%20710750&click=1680

It's being sold used and sounds like the table has some surface rust, the guy is local to me 45 miniutes or so. I don't want to go unless I plan on buying it.

Whats bottom dollar on these saws these days?

Joseph Tarantino
03-05-2010, 12:24 PM
i have a jet 18" BS that i got off craigs list. it was part of approximately $3000 worth of tools i got from a seller for $140. i figure the prorated cost of the BS was ~ $40. the first pic below is when it got home. the others are after some attention with topsaver and a course grit scotchbrite pad (among other things). and this link, see post #9, shows a good picture of the cast iron table when i got the saw home (sorry, just couldn't get this file to attach):

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27452

the saw is ok. the saw's frame has a reputation for having a fair amount of flex when tensioned with larger type blades (1/2" and up). it has adequate power (1.5hp and it's also a 120/220 convertible motor) and the dust collection is really very good (dust collector is assumed here). blade changes for blades 1/2" and larger require table removal. removing the table requires removing the rear fence rail (not difficult, just annoying). the upper and lower blade guides do not have the fancier types of micro adjusters like those found on some 14" machines from outfits like grizzly. the thrust bearings sit parallel to the blade, so the rear of the blade rests on the rolling edge of the bearing, as opposed to the blade being perpendicular to the bearing. the fence is adequate and the miter gauge is basic. depending on the model, there may, or may not, be a tension release. if i ever replace this BS, i will only consider one with a tension release.

once set up properly, it can perform well. mind you, it's no laguna or rikion. the first video displays a blade loping and vibration problem that i thought was saw related. turns out it was mostly faulty timberwolf blades:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrxBP8YBKYM

the following video was after a few months of grief and aggravation trying to remedy the saw's performance as shown in the first video which, as i said, turned out to be mostly attributable to miswelded timberwolf blades and pretty much useless tech support from jet (more on that later). it performs this way largely due to lou iturra @ iturra design (that guy knows how to weld BS blades). note the nickel. the resaw stuff was so i could show iturra the result of a resaw with the 1/2" .025" 3tpi lennox he sent me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67s4qtbxHsk

if the saw is cheap enough, i might go with it. i have seen them in various parts of the country for between $600 and $800, depending on model and condition. knowing what i know now, i'd have a hard time justifying that much for the saw i have. while the saw is on it's way to performing acceptably now, don't think you will get any usefull assistance at all from jet. if you have any issues which are not just "here's a broken part, hey jet, send or sell me a replacement part", you are on your own. their customer service and tech support, while well intentioned and polite, are pretty much less than average. the same holds true for the two authorized dealers i encountered while sorting out my saw. anything beyond parts replacement is beyond them (this means tuning and adjustment are not their strong suits). HTH. good luck.

John Thompson
03-05-2010, 1:22 PM
If the case in the link Aaron.. that's the old style without the tension release and without the newer beefed up column. It was around $1200 retail when I last saw one. A used machine goes for about half price normally with a reminder there was a reason Jet upgraded the column to the newest style.

So.. if in need I would offer $500 and $600 if he has a mobile base. I would call in advance to find out what he's asking. I personally wouldn't pay more than $600 for that model. It's OK but has some short-falls that were addressed on the newer Jets. Nothing that is serious but I would consider that when deciding what I would give used.

Good luck...

Joe Scarfo
03-05-2010, 2:46 PM
I gave $450 for one a few weeks back... it incl 3 blades, magnetic light, and the jet matching mobile base...

Joe

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 3:12 PM
If it is the old version like the pictures so far in the thread nothing over $500 for me, it just has too many issue. If it is the newer version then I would give significantly more.

Aaron Berk
03-06-2010, 3:37 PM
ok this is what I've got on the saw

JWBS– 18
708750B
1 ½ hp 110V

Am I still in the old model stage, or is it worth more than 500?

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 7:13 PM
ok this is what I've got on the saw

JWBS– 18
708750B
1 ½ hp 110V

Am I still in the old model stage, or is it worth more than 500?

That is the old one, it sold from between 1,000 and 1,200 new. The new one comes with either a 1 3/4hp motor or a 3hp motor and the 1 3/4hp part number is 710750B . The older saw just had a lot of problems mainly frame flex. Why bother with a bigger saw if it can't tension a wider blade. I personally just wouldn't want the saw and would rather find a good older 14" saw. The new version however is a very solid saw for the money especially if you get the 3hp version, they just lack a foot brake. If you don't have a BS and understand the limitations of this one and get a really good deal on it I wouldn't tell you not to get it, but I personally wouldn't pay more than $500.00.

John Thompson
03-06-2010, 8:11 PM
Ditto Van.. about $500 is as high as I would go...

Joseph Tarantino
03-06-2010, 11:14 PM
$500 for a jwbs-18 is a waste of $500. as others have suggested, put that money towards a better 14". for example, wait till woodcraft doeas another rikon 10-325 sale (think it went for $700 or $800). it even has greater resaw capacity than the jet 18. that's the saw i would have looked at if i hadn't gotten my jet so reasonably. the rikon looks to be well built and their reputation for customer service appears to be exemplary.

george wilson
03-06-2010, 11:33 PM
I had a Jet 18" in my shop at work. I GAVE it to another shop in the museum. I don't know if it was a new or old model. UNLESS it was set down,and SHIMMED at all corners,it would readily flex if moderate hand pressure was put on its column. The blade would go to and fro as the machine ran while you pushed.

The European style guides I HATED. They weren't quite perfectly aligned,and the blade bore unevenly on the guide wheels. There was NO easy way to lubricate the bottom guide. I prefer shielded ball bearings,NOT bronze bushings on guides. I replaced those guides with Carters,but just didn't like the saw. It just didn't cut as well as the 1950's 20" Delta we had. I gave the saw away,and shoe horned the old Delta where I had felt there wasn't enough room when we had decided to move it.

Aaron Berk
03-07-2010, 8:01 PM
Looks like I'll pas on this one, the guy want's $850.

I've recently sold a 14" BS and was looking to upgrade. Looks like I'll wait a bit longer for the right saw.

Thanks a TON guys

Van Huskey
03-07-2010, 8:31 PM
I had a Jet 18" in my shop at work. I GAVE it to another shop in the museum. I don't know if it was a new or old model. UNLESS it was set down,and SHIMMED at all corners,it would readily flex if moderate hand pressure was put on its column. The blade would go to and fro as the machine ran while you pushed.

If it had a triangular spine and a quick tension release lever it was the new one but sounds like you had the older one.

The new one is a solid saw better then the Rikon but not Euro quality either.

Joseph Tarantino
03-07-2010, 10:48 PM
wow! $850! sounds like the seller made the decision easy for you.

george wilson
03-07-2010, 11:57 PM
No quick release lever on mine. At home shop,I am currently re furbishing a 1950's Delta which still has ALL the parts!! It was painted with a barn brush sometime in its career. It is olive drab inside,so must have been military at first. I even scrounged rails and a fence for it.

Van Huskey
03-08-2010, 12:45 AM
No quick release lever on mine. At home shop,I am currently re furbishing a 1950's Delta which still has ALL the parts!! It was painted with a barn brush sometime in its career. It is olive drab inside,so must have been military at first. I even scrounged rails and a fence for it.

Yep old CRAPPY Jet!

The Delta sounds cool, pic when you finish!