PDA

View Full Version : A Little Toolmaking and Turning

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2010, 9:33 AM
While all my recent shop time has been devoted to a flatwork commission, I was able to squeeze in a little lathe time. I made this hollowing tool from 5/8" square bar stock, turned the end down to 1/2" to fit in the handle, and mounted a 3/16" HSS toolbit in the end. The handle was turned from some 8/4 Ash left over from another job and is 18" long. Overall length of the tool is 31". I did have more of a bend in the tool but realized that it wouldn't fit into most of the hollow forms that I have drying :o, so I straightened it out a little. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I don't know if it will work or not, but it was fun to make. Thanks for looking.

Quinn McCarthy
03-05-2010, 10:59 AM
That is a whomper!!

Hope it works as good as it looks.

Quinn

bob svoboda
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Looks like a good-un.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Good looking tool. Looks like it will do the jog just fine.

John Frigillana
03-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Rob,
How much work did it take to bend the shaft. Did you heat it up alot and bend and reheat gradually? What type of heat was used?

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 2:20 PM
Rob, as the locals would say "That there's a big ol' hollerin' arn!!"

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 3:18 PM
That looks great... I'd love to see some action shots.

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2010, 5:33 PM
Rob,
How much work did it take to bend the shaft. Did you heat it up alot and bend and reheat gradually? What type of heat was used?

I heated it with the oxy-acetylene torch at work until the area I wanted to bend was nice and red. It bent with little effort until it began to cool, then I just heated it some more and kept bending.

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 5:36 PM
That looks good! I have several home made ones that are similar. (I didn't make them) They work well I think though I have nothing to compare too.