PDA

View Full Version : AB Marble & Granite supplier

Sandy Henry
03-05-2010, 7:38 AM
Need material quotes for laserable marble. 100+ pc @ 6" x 24" x 8mm
Tried sample from Laser Sketch but its etching much darker than I expected. Captain Jim tells me that a grey mark is as good as it gets & if I've seen "whiter" engravings, they have been color filled.
Doe's anyone know of other suppliers or marble that marks brighter white?

Chris DeGerolamo
03-05-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't know for certain if they can help you, but we use The Tile Shop for our AB granite and marble. It's not too far from our office to drive and pick up so we do not pay for shipping cost and we supplied a Tax ID number so that we get a contractor discount. You can Google them for locations.

http://www DOT tileshop DOT com/index.aspx

Hopefully this helps you (or at least someone else).

Sandy Henry
03-05-2010, 1:02 PM
Thanks Chris, Found The Tile Shop in Indy. 60 mi from me! Will call them & possibly go there this weekend.

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 8:08 PM
Need material quotes for laserable marble. 100+ pc @ 6" x 24" x 8mm
Tried sample from Laser Sketch but its etching much darker than I expected. Captain Jim tells me that a grey mark is as good as it gets & if I've seen "whiter" engravings, they have been color filled.
Doe's anyone know of other suppliers or marble that marks brighter white?

Laser sketch is not marble regardless of what they call it. It's seems to be a good high quality granite, that must be whitened. Once whitened it will render very nice photographs and I use it quite often. REAL marble will turn white (even whiter if you go over it twice) What your looking for is 'real' marble..

rick woodward
03-09-2010, 9:02 PM
"Once whitened it will render very nice photographs" How do you whiten it and then laser. Just curious. Not working with it, just like to learn new things. rick woodward

Bill Cunningham
03-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Rub in some winton's titanium white artists oil paint, let it sit for a day, then wipe it off and buff up the surface..

Zsolt Paul
03-09-2010, 11:24 PM
"Once whitened it will render very nice photographs" How do you whiten it and then laser. Just curious. Not working with it, just like to learn new things. rick woodward

You whiten it after the engraving, not before. I personally like printer's ink.

Ken Liversidge
03-10-2010, 12:03 AM
I've been using Laser Sketch stone for 4 years. The granite is granite, the marble is marble, and there is quite a difference in the laser parameters of both materials. Jim is getting his granite from a new quarry, and it seems to engrave smoother ans a little whiter than that of his old quarry. Marble can be whitened by polishing with white oil paint when used indoors. I've heard rumors that Armor All sprayed on the surface of the marble before engraving makes a brighter engraving, but have never tried it...

Bill Cunningham
03-11-2010, 8:36 PM
I've been using Laser Sketch stone for 4 years. The granite is granite, the marble is marble, and there is quite a difference in the laser parameters of both materials. Jim is getting his granite from a new quarry, and it seems to engrave smoother ans a little whiter than that of his old quarry. Marble can be whitened by polishing with white oil paint when used indoors. I've heard rumors that Armor All sprayed on the surface of the marble before engraving makes a brighter engraving, but have never tried it...

If you have to rub in whitener, whether ink or oil paint, it's 'not' marble.. It's granite, regardless of what they call it.. Marble turns 'white' all by itself, require a LOT more power than granite, and can even be etched twice to make it a brighter white.. If you want to see the difference, get some 'marble' any color from H.D. (they have brown) laser it, and see the difference. Real marble is just about goof proof, and does not need photograv or any other preprocessing. Just output the gray scale to the laser.. For 35-45 watts, try 35%speed, 100% power and you'll get a perfect photo on the stone every time from a good contrast pic. If you try this power,speed, and no preprocessing with lasersketch marble, you'll get scrap every time.. Don't get me wrong, I like the lasersketch stone, and I do a fair amount of laser sketch 'marble' just because it's easier to get than real black marble.. But it ain't marble.. The best way to tell if you have 'real' marble, is to put a drop of acid on the back. Acid will ruin the surface of marble, and has no effect on granite. I've even had real marble ruined by citrus acid from orange juice on someones hands..

rick woodward
03-11-2010, 10:02 PM
That was very informative and interesting. Thanks for enlightening me, Bill,and all who contributed. rick woodward

Belinda Barfield
03-12-2010, 8:52 AM
Bill is correct regarding acid etching the surface of marble. If in doubt a drop of vinegar is the simple test. The surface of natural marble will be ruined by vinegar, or any citric acid. I can't tell you the number of phone calls I've received from homeowners regarding ruined marble flooring. Typically the maid or cleaning service uses a vinegar solution when mopping. After a few weeks to months, depending on frequency of cleaning, the floors are ruined.