PDA

View Full Version : Little time - Little bowl.

Toney Robertson
03-05-2010, 7:09 AM
I have not had much shop time lately but did get some time the other day when a customer could not make up her mind on a bathroom vanity that I am making for her.

5" across x 1 3/4" - Cherry - AO and buffed.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1118.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1118A.jpg

And then my newest logo care of Nancy.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/1118C.jpg

Toney

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 7:26 AM
Hey, Toney!! Nice work on the bowl, and I REALLY like the new logo insert!!:D Nice area on that border to note the date, etc.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2010, 8:05 AM
Nice little bowl Toney! Great job on consistent thickness and also on centering! Really like your insert! Looks like you are going Pro on us! Sure makes for a clean and identifiable label!

Allen Neighbors
03-05-2010, 8:15 AM
Lookin' good, Toney!

Doug W Swanson
03-05-2010, 8:21 AM
I really like that! The shape is great!

I also like your logo....

Doug

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 8:22 AM
Neat design. I like it!

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 8:25 AM
Looks great... interesting shape and fantastic insert design. Kudos!

Steve Mawson
03-05-2010, 9:26 AM
Very nice, how did you do the logo?

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Really pretty bowl Toney. Love the wood. How did you get or do that logo???

Gary Chester
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Nice bowl. I've never tried one of those... I think you've inspired me to try one... no, I'm sure of it!

And nice photo's as well!

john brady
03-05-2010, 2:40 PM
Toney - Great Bowl (?) !

Ditto on Bernie's question - How did you make / apply the logo?

I'm making Eggs and stands for Easter Gifts for the grand-kids and wanted to put something on the Eggs, but can't come up with anything.

I've used T-shirt transfers on FLAT projects for my logo/label (have a special (sublimation) printer that prints colors, metallics, even white) but want something for curved surfaces. I keep thinking of the old rub-on type transfers, but haven't been able to locate any - but that would narrow down the applique to letters only.

If yours is a secret, I won't tell LOL ;)

John

Toney Robertson
03-05-2010, 8:11 PM
Very nice, how did you do the logo?

Thanks for the nice comments.

The logo is laser engraved on very thin plywood but Nance Laird from right here at SMC. They are right at 1 1/2" in diameter so I just make a slight recess and then epoxy it in place.

Not much room to write in unless you write REAL small!! :D

Toney

Joe Little
03-06-2010, 6:19 PM
Great bowl Toney. It inspired me to give it a try. But as I am new to turning it had its challenges. Specifically I had trouble getting the inside nice and smooth right up into the 4 corners, I think, because the tool is not continuously on the wood surface (jumping from corner to corner). Is there a trick or just experience to get it right? I am assuming you used a bowl gouge?
thanks for any help you can give me.
Joe

Toney Robertson
03-06-2010, 6:31 PM
Great bowl Toney. It inspired me to give it a try. But as I am new to turning it had its challenges. Specifically I had trouble getting the inside nice and smooth right up into the 4 corners, I think, because the tool is not continuously on the wood surface (jumping from corner to corner). Is there a trick or just experience to get it right? I am assuming you used a bowl gouge?
thanks for any help you can give me.
Joe

Joe,

I turn up the speed as far as I feel comfortable. The faster the better since it means less time turning air. Also it helps to take thin cuts.

After that it is just a steady hand and then sanding! :D

It starts to get real tricky when you go thinner than I did this time and the wings start to flex as you cut them. You can actually see it happen. Makes you wonder if the wood will survive. On this bigger mahogany one the flex was very noticeable. It is 11 1/2" square.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/203-3.jpg

Yes I used a 1/2" bowl gouge.

Good luck.

Toney

James Combs
03-06-2010, 9:53 PM
Wow you turn those already in the square?? I assumed that they were turned round and then had the sides cut off...

Mark Hix
03-06-2010, 10:30 PM
Beautiful bowls. The consistent thickness is always a challenge.

Toney Robertson
03-07-2010, 8:41 AM
Wow you turn those already in the square?? I assumed that they were turned round and then had the sides cut off...

James,

Yes, they were square blanks when I started which is somewhat of a challenge from the mounting perspective. You have to have a square blank and you have to make sure it is centered when mounted.

Wouldn't using a round blank and then cutting the sides off be cheating? :D

Toney