PDA

View Full Version : Lathes & Dust/Chip Collection

Nick Mastropietro
03-05-2010, 6:21 AM
I'm just getting around to setting up my lathe and need to consider the dust/chip collection, please provide pictures of explinations of your setup.

Dennis Ford
03-05-2010, 7:43 AM
Dust collection is important when you are sanding, a large hood near the wood (above or behind) connected to your dust collector will capture most of the dust.

Chip collection is best done with a broom and large dustpan.

Tony De Masi
03-05-2010, 7:49 AM
I agree with Dennis. Leave the dust collection part for your sanding and let the chips fall where they may and sweep them up later.

Tony

Bob Hampton
03-05-2010, 9:29 AM
yup there both right....use the DC for the dust...if u try and set it up for getting the shavings its a loosing battle at best and all u will do is fight with the DC because its just going to clog up all the time
Dust pan or flat shovel and broom works great
AND u dont have to empty the DC bag so much!

Ralph Lindberg
03-05-2010, 9:43 AM
Most of us have tried chip collection, and not really been sucessful. Chip containment is the best you probably do.

An idea I stole from Dave Schweitzer (http://www.d-waytools.com/) , hang a series of Roman Blinds around your lathe. In the up position they you can walk anywere, in the down position the chips will hit them, and mound up around your lathe.

When I did the above, my green chips no longer ended up 10 to 20 feet away

Nick Mastropietro
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Ralph - way to pass along those nugets. I'll be looking for some blinds tonight. Thanks

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Nick I use a dust collector for dust. Chips will clog up you DC if enough get in. I also have a Air Cleaner above the lathe. Since I got it the dust in the shop has decreased quite a bit.

Gary Chester
03-05-2010, 11:55 AM
I have a tarp set up like a shower curtain to contain chips. I just slide it out of the way when I don't need it. 6" dust collector hose right next to the turning gets all the dust when sanding.

Reed Gray
03-05-2010, 12:10 PM
The bigger your hood is, and the more enclosed your piece that you are sanding is, the less dust gets out into your shop. As for the shavings, I have a big scoop shovel, broom, and rake. I can generate 50 to 100 gallons of shavings in one turning session/day. The shavings, as others have said will clog up your dust collector, unless you have a cyclone. The chips from smaller projects can go through fairly easily, but I scoop 99% of the time. I do give the shavings to a friend who mulches every thing. Some towns will have home yard waste recycling centers, and chips can be dumped there for minimal cost.

robo hippy

John King
03-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Forget about the chips. Clean them up with a shovel and broom wherever they fall.

Focus your efforts on dust collection. Dust is the real hazard to woodturners. Do everything you can - dust collector, shop air filtration, personal dust respirator, etc. - to protect yourself from the dust. - John

bob svoboda
03-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Most of us have tried chip collection, and not really been sucessful. Chip containment is the best you probably do.

An idea I stole from Dave Schweitzer (http://www.d-waytools.com/) , hang a series of Roman Blinds around your lathe. In the up position they you can walk anywere, in the down position the chips will hit them, and mound up around your lathe.

When I did the above, my green chips no longer ended up 10 to 20 feet away
Hey Ralph: I've lived in Washington my whole life and never heard of a town called Wetter:D:D

Nathan Hawkes
03-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Dust collection for chips (large shavings) is impractical and almost impossible. Get a manure shovel: http://877joebark.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/scoop_shovel.18163454_std.jpg

No matter what, you're going to have chips everywhere. The best thing you can do is to keep them out of your lungs! http://www.amazon.com/6000-Full-Face-Respirator-Large/dp/B000TK8OOU

The 3M respirator is cheap compared to any battery powered system on the market. If you get one, do yourself a favor and order the faceshield covers. You WILL scratch and get varnish/CA etc. on the faceshield. Being able to replace it easily is worth the money they cost!

I have a homemade sanding dust collector made from a furnace blower and an Oneida Air 36" Hepa filter kit--expensive, but worth the cost IMHO.

George Morris
03-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Nick I use shower curtains mounted on a 8' 1 1/2" dowel rod on wires from ceiling all around my lathe. And a cyclone dust collector. G

Steve Vaughan
03-06-2010, 5:39 PM
I've got that steel city 2 hp dust collector, or whichever is the larger of the two they offer. But, I've made it into a two-stage setup with about a 45 gallon drum as the first catch for the chips/dust, then it goes into the d/c. I keep the 4" hose clamped with a spring clamp and close to the bowl, but out of the way of my tool. It does excellent on sucking up both!

Now, having said that, I always use that when sanding, and only when turning dry wood. I do not use it on the green/wet stuff because of the weight and size of the chips - yes, it will stop the hose up. And, using it as a two-stage setup, I rarely empty or change the main bag on the d/c unit itself. All I have to do is take the lid off the barrel and slide the handtruck underneath and out to the compost pile. Hope that helps...

Dick Sowa
03-06-2010, 8:18 PM
You could, theoretically, use a trash can separator for chips and curlies. I don't know about you, but depending on how and what I am cutting, the chips can fly in virtually any direction...so it's really not practical. Like others...a shovel or large dustpan is my chip collector :)