PDA

View Full Version : Late night analysis paralysis - Router table / TS

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 5:09 AM
Obtaining/building/buying/stealing a router table is my current obsession. There's only so much I can do safely with the handheld router, and several projects are waiting on the arrival of one.

I'm trying to decide whether to eventually have the RT as part of the TS (which is currently a non-existent SS CS that is probably 2+ months out), and if so, whether to factor that into the decision of which RT to get now.

If I decide to go with a RT in the TS, I think I will go with the Benchdog cast iron extension ($350) and use it as a standalone on a cabinet for a few months. One problem (at least I think it's a problem...you tell me!) is it's not very deep at 16". They sell a 4" "end cap" for it so it can be used as a standalone but that's another $90 (!) and seems hardly worth it for an additional 4"...still leaving it short of standard 24" depth.

If I decide to go with a standalone RT, I've narrowed down to the Woodpecker's LE fence/table, which checks in around $260. I'm sure I'll be happy with it for the time-being, but as soon as the saw arrives things are going to be SO cramped I'm afraid I'll be kicking myself for not using space more efficiently. I suppose I could try to put the Woodpecker's RT into the saw in some fashion, but getting it to fit would require some creative modifications that I don't really want to get into, and I'd to keep the wings of the saw cast iron.

I'm just rambling, I know. I don't even know what I need from you guys. Maybe just some soothing words of encouragement. Maybe some pros/cons I'm not thinking of?

Rich Engelhardt
03-05-2010, 5:58 AM
I'm sure I'll be happy with it for the time-being, but as soon as the saw arrives things are going to be SO cramped I'm afraid I'll be kicking myself for not using space more efficiently. I suppose I could try to put the Woodpecker's RT into the saw in some fashion,

Two ways I can think of to address the issue:

- Make the router table lower than the saw wing and stow it under the saw when not using it.

- Make the router table the same height as the table saw and use it as an outfeed.

I went a third way w/mine and made it close to the height of the TS and use it - along with some blocks - as an infeed support for those few times I need that.

(& I agree - having a cramped shop can be a real drag. Rollers, wheels and flip top carts are a God-send though.)

Chris Kennedy
03-05-2010, 6:39 AM
I went through similar soul-searching when I bought my router table. I have a reasonably cramped shop, and I finally decided that extending my table saw by the router table wouldn't work.

I went with a Rockler table, but I don't have a stand for it. It leans against the wall, and whenever I need it, I clamp it to my workmate, and rout away. And then I can take it down just as quickly. I don't know if I would be so willing to do that if the table was cast iron, mind you.

Cheers,

Chris

Myk Rian
03-05-2010, 7:07 AM
How about a take down RT? Oak Park sells a complete system that you can take apart when not in use. Excellent table. http://www.oak-park.com/

Kerry Adams
03-05-2010, 7:18 AM
Good Morning Victor,

I went through the same process as you know with my SS saw. It took me months to make a decision. Is there any reason you don't want to put it on the left?

Thanks,
Kerry

Michael MacDonald
03-05-2010, 2:12 PM
my 2 cents... I plan on building one. My idea it to take some 3/4 melamine, prop it up on some poplar boards to cantilever it over the side of my bench. And also make a small box to hold the router and enable dust collection through the subbase. Critical for me to have it easily stowed away, because I have very limited space. I have a quick sketch on the back of a napkin, but all just dreams at this point. Still don't have the VS router that I will eventually want to use with the table.

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 3:00 PM
How about a take down RT? Oak Park sells a complete system that you can take apart when not in use. Excellent table. http://www.oak-park.com/

Another space saver, the last Shop Notes (109) has plans for a flip down one that stores against the wall. Even if you used a commercial table you could use their basic plan to make it store against the wall.

Matthew Hills
03-05-2010, 3:16 PM
I recall an old video of Kelly Mehler's router table -- looked like a sheet of plywood over a big metal drum. Think the fence just clamped down in place.

I bought a benchdog contractor's router table. it works okay. I like the dust collection, but the router plate is still prone to a bit of sag.

I'd recommend starting with a simple home-built table and see what mileage you can get out of that. An example:
http://www.wordsnwood.com/2007/p.rt/

Matt

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm just hung up on the fact that the cast iron top will be too small for temporary use (for the few months before the saw arrives). But thanks to Kerry's experiences, I know that it fits my coming saw and works well. Just tell me it won't be too small for the short-term and I'll probably pull the trigger...

Kerry - not at all opposed to the left - that's where it will be. :)

Steve Jenkins
03-05-2010, 6:43 PM
while you are thinking of all the possible options why not just take a piece of 3/4 ply any size you want and mount the router to it. Use a straight board and 2 c clamps for a fence. lay it on a couple sawhorses to use and lean it against the wall when not needed. Nothing fancy but I used one for years.

Van Huskey
03-05-2010, 7:03 PM
I am bad about buying the latest and coolest BUT almost everytime I see a true router genius' table I always am struck how simple and inexpensive it is! Take a look at Pat Warner's in "The Versatile Router" DVD makes you realize how much money we spend on "gadgets".

Chris Padilla
03-05-2010, 7:18 PM
How much shop space do you have up there in 'frisco land, Victor? I have a full blown router table complete with Woodpecker and Incra amenities. I'm in SJ.

glenn bradley
03-05-2010, 7:49 PM
I vote router table as a wing on the left. Of course I only vote this way because that's what works for me. Aren't we all the same?

Seriously though, I do enjoy having the benefit of all the table surface being larger for both tools, the same feed direction and clearance requirements and I placed my miter slot on the RT the same distance from the cutter as the TS so tenon jig, featherboards and other fixtures work on both.

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 8:27 PM
How much shop space do you have up there in 'frisco land, Victor? I have a full blown router table complete with Woodpecker and Incra amenities. I'm in SJ.

Well, at the moment I've got enough shop space where I could easily tolerate a 24x32 table on a cabinet (on wheels, of course). Once that Sawstop arrives though I'll still probably have space but it will always be a game of musical chairs and I know I'll look at the extension table real estate on the saw and probably kick myself for not using it!

Are you looking to unload some stuff? Drop me a PM! :)

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 8:31 PM
I am bad about buying the latest and coolest BUT almost everytime I see a true router genius' table I always am struck how simple and inexpensive it is! Take a look at Pat Warner's in "The Versatile Router" DVD makes you realize how much money we spend on "gadgets".

That's a great point Van. The only problem is, at heart, I am nothing if not a "gadget guy". :cool:

Chris Padilla
03-05-2010, 8:44 PM
Are you looking to unload some stuff? Drop me a PM! :)

Nope...although I should! LOL It was more of an offer to swing by if you wanted to check it out. I also have a Minimax FS-41 Elite: 16" J/P. Folks like looking at that one. :D

Victor Robinson
03-05-2010, 9:35 PM
Nope...although I should! LOL It was more of an offer to swing by if you wanted to check it out. I also have a Minimax FS-41 Elite: 16" J/P. Folks like looking at that one. :D

LOL, you mean you don't want to sell me your uber-cool setup for really cheap? :p

You just want me to come over because you like mopping drool off your shop floor? Seriously though, I may take you up on the offer next time I'm planning on heading down to the South Bay.

Mike Henderson
03-05-2010, 10:45 PM
I have my router in the right wing of my table saw. Also a vise (I'm really short of space!).

I'm just setting up my saw and haven't put the outfeed table on it yet.

Mike