PDA

View Full Version : Looking for decent spindle/detail gouge recommendations!

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy one or two detail/spindle gouges. Since I am on a tight budget what is a good deal for the money? Do anyone have the Crown detail gouge? That is kind of what I'm looking for.

I've got a couple of Benjamin's Best other gouges and they are pretty decent but what would be the next step up without breaking the bank?

Either handled or unhandled would be fine but I'm looking to spend about $100 total.

Thanks!
Doug

Gordon Seto
03-05-2010, 12:25 AM
Doug,

The other Doug has what you want. IMO, you can't find anything better.
http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/products.asp

Dennis Puskar
03-05-2010, 12:31 AM
Doug,
You don't say what size you are looking for, but if you check out Thompson Lathe Tools you can buy two Detail gouges for $100.00.

Dennis

Brian Greb
03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
I have the crown detail gouge... It works like a beauty, holds a good edge, and stays sharp for a good while(as long as you don't drop it). As for tools I like sorby's(little steep on some tools) I've had good results with crown pro and pinnicle also... Henry Taylor makes a good tool at a decent price. All but pinnicle are available though craft supply (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/woodturners/dyna/dynaVdTixd?page_number=1) check it out most are under $60.

Have fun and keep those curls flying!

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 6:01 AM
Doug, I have the Thompson 3/8" detail gouge, and I can highly recommend it - very nice tool. Other than the BB or HF, I have no experience with the rest.

Jim Slovik
03-05-2010, 6:16 AM
Give Thompson tools a try. In my opinion, they're the best you can buy and they are priced very fairly.
Jim

Bill Blasic
03-05-2010, 6:27 AM
Not a better tool on the market than the Thompson's!
Bill

Doug W Swanson
03-05-2010, 9:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I should have said I'm looking for 3/8" and 1/2" gouges.

I checked out Doug Thompson's site and it looks like he makes quality stuff. I'll have to give him a call.....

Thanks!
Doug

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Another vote for Thompson gouges. I have his 1/2" spindle and 3/8" detail spindle gouge.

Reed Gray
03-05-2010, 12:12 PM
You do have to make your own handles if you buy from Doug, but to me, that is a plus.

robo hippy

John King
03-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Doug Thompson is the only way to go. Competitive prices. Excellent product. Superior customer service. It doesn't get any better. - John