PDA

View Full Version : A Load of Curlies

Baxter Smith
03-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Thought that I should clean up around my lathe today. But before I could start, I needed to empty the wagon I had filled with 3 trash can loads a couple of days ago.
The chips are from Brian Effingers oak bowl, (top right) and the first four apple roughouts. After dumping this load, I filled up the trailer with 3 more trash can fulls. Nice clean place to stand now. All ready for tomorrow.:D

There were several potentially nice heartwood bowls that are somewhere in all those curlies. It made me think about having a coring system. From what little research I have done, it probably isn't very practical for a 12 inch, 1 hp reeves drive lathe. But if you think differently....

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Baxter, some very nice looking roughouts, and just think of the curlies as your contribution to recycling!!:D I told Ms. Keeton that it seems a shame to take a $25 piece of wood, and throw out 90% of it! She reminded me that when she does a quilt, there is virtually NO waste. Hmmmm.....

Don't see me taking up quilting!;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Baxter that is a lot of mulch there. Reminds me that I am knee deep in chips I guess I should clean out the shop. A friend of mine bought the Woodcut bowl coring system for his 12" lathe and it does pretty good. Problem is he is now thinking after 5 yrs of upgrading to a Jet 1642. The woodcut says for use up to 12" lathes. Just some food for thought.

Chris Haas
03-04-2010, 10:28 PM
yep, you need a mcnaughton center saver

Brian Effinger
03-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Baxter, I know I've seen a coring doohickey specifically for the smaller 12" lathes. I don't remember who makes it, but I seem to remember seeing it in Craft Supplies catalog. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2010, 11:20 PM
I told Ms. Keeton that it seems a shame to take a $25 piece of wood, and throw out 90% of it! She reminded me that when she does a quilt, there is virtually NO waste. Hmmmm.....

John,
Maybe you just need to make thicker bowls. They could be 2-3" thick!:D

My MIL makes quilts and my wife does cross-stitching. Granted there is little to no waste on their projects but it seems like they take forever to do. There is no way I would have the patience for it!

Baxter,
Looks like you've been busy....

Doug

Baxter Smith
03-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Baxter, some very nice looking roughouts, and just think of the curlies as your contribution to recycling!!:D I told Ms. Keeton that it seems a shame to take a $25 piece of wood, and throw out 90% of it! She reminded me that when she does a quilt, there is virtually NO waste. Hmmmm.....

My wife quilts as well. I admire the results and appreciate the skills involved but thats about where it ends.:)

Baxter that is a lot of mulch there. Reminds me that I am knee deep in chips I guess I should clean out the shop. A friend of mine bought the Woodcut bowl coring system for his 12" lathe and it does pretty good. Problem is he is now thinking after 5 yrs of upgrading to a Jet 1642. The woodcut says for use up to 12" lathes. Just some food for thought.
Thanks Bernie. For 12 inch lathes the woodcut was all I could come up with. But then there is the bigger & better lathe question. I try to not to have those thoughts too often.:D

yep, you need a mcnaughton center saver

That seems to be the top rated one but I'm not sure my lathe size and hp justify it.

Baxter, I know I've seen a coring doohickey specifically for the smaller 12" lathes. I don't remember who makes it, but I seem to remember seeing it in Craft Supplies catalog. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Thanks Brian. If I was paying for valuable wood I would strongly consider it. As it is now I just see possibilities ending up on the floor.:) Its only been for a couple of bowls that it made me wonder.

David E Keller
03-05-2010, 8:28 AM
Don't think of it as waste... That's a trailer full of FUN!

It would be nice to have a coring system though.

Rick Hutcheson
03-05-2010, 8:38 AM
You need the Macnaughten mini or micro set for coring on your lathe. I use it on my Delta 46-460 and just love it. A normal log that you would get 2 bowls from can give you easily 6 bowls. It also speeds up the turning because ther is not that much waste wood to remove from the bowls. That means less logs to haul home to get more bowls. Or less wood to buy to make bowls.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2010, 8:59 AM
Yup - have a number of mulch piles all over the backyard and with a little compost time becomes highly valued for use in gardens!

Steve Mawson
03-05-2010, 9:35 AM
Boy curlies are fun even though you have to find a way to get rid of them. Baxter-what happened to all the snow?

Jon Lanier
03-05-2010, 1:11 PM
Great fireplace starters!!!!

Terry Murphy
03-05-2010, 1:16 PM
You need to make great looking wooden hockey puckes.

Terry

Dave Mueller
03-05-2010, 1:29 PM
One of the advantages of segmented turning - a lot less waste!
Dave

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 6:00 PM
Don't think of it as waste... That's a trailer full of FUN!

It would be nice to have a coring system though.

Thats true David. I use to think it was just "boatloads".:D

You need the Macnaughten mini or micro set for coring on your lathe. I use it on my Delta 46-460 and just love it. A normal log that you would get 2 bowls from can give you easily 6 bowls. It also speeds up the turning because ther is not that much waste wood to remove from the bowls. That means less logs to haul home to get more bowls. Or less wood to buy to make bowls.

Thanks Rick. I looked that up and it seemed appropriate. It would take a lot of extra bowls to add up to the extra cost but when do turners ever think that way?:)

Boy curlies are fun even though you have to find a way to get rid of them. Baxter-what happened to all the snow?

I just dump them in the woods or brush pile, though a friend is going to come over and raid my brush pile for her horses. As for the snow, this is Delaware.:)
Here today -
Gone tomorrow!

Great fireplace starters!!!!

True, but we keep the woodstove going. Should save a few I suppose. Maybe I will make some more!

You need to make great looking wooden hockey puckes.

Terry

Not quite sure about that one?

One of the advantages of segmented turning - a lot less waste!
Dave
A lot less waste but to me it looks like a lot more time. Never done one though I admire patience of those who have.

Maylon Harvey
03-05-2010, 9:14 PM
"I just dump them in the woods or brush pile, though a friend is going to come over and raid my brush pile for her horses."

Baxter,
If there are any walnut chips in there don't let your friend have them for horses. Not Good!!

Baxter Smith
03-05-2010, 9:38 PM
Thanks Maylon, thats what I have read. There aren't but I wish there were!:)