PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day for Wood Working

Dave Moran
11-02-2004, 7:23 AM
Provided by Chris Viccari of Sterling Publishing:

quote: <HR>October 29, 2004, New York, NY:
Patrick W. Spielman, a woodworking author with over 65 books to his credit, passed away suddenly on Wednesday night at his home in Fish Creek, WI, due to an apparent heart attack.

Spielman was born on March 17, 1936 in Spring Lake Township, Minnesota, and graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Stout in 1958. He spent 27 years as a high school woodworking instructor, and through the use of hands-on techniques he inspired his students to create innovative and practical projects. He leaves behind hundreds of dedicated students as part of his legacy.

Spielman began working on his first book at the age of 24, and continued authoring books, including two current projects, over the span of his career. He had been an author for Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. since 1978 when his first book Making Wood Signs was published to great success. Two of his other books, Router Handbook, and Scroll Saw Handbook, went on to sell over one million copies each, and to this day are still considered the best books on the subject.

Charles Nurnberg, President and CEO of Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. remarked, “We have been with Pat since the beginning of his publishing career, and are devastated by this loss. He was one of our longstanding house authors and will be missed greatly. He was a pioneer in the woodworking books industry, and his talent and passion to create books on the subject was hands-down the best in the field.”

Married on June 7, 1958 to Patricia Rogers, he is survived by his beloved wife, son Robert, daughters Sherri and Sandra, two grandchildren Zoe and Sophia and a third grandchild expected in November, and sister Winnifred. He was preceded in death by his parents; his brothers Donald and Robert; and step-father, Nick Wolf.

Funeral services will be held at 10 a.m. Tuesday, November 2 at St. Paul’s Catholic Church in Fish Creek with Rev. Michael Brecke officiating. Burial services will follow at Blossomburg Cemetery in Peninsula State Park, Fish Creek. Friends may call Monday from 3 to 8 p.m. at Casperson Funeral Home, Sister Bay. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Patrick Spielman Memorial Fund.

John Miliunas
11-02-2004, 8:07 AM
Thanks for the info, Dave. A sad day, indeed. I just recently started into scrolling and, needless to say, Patrick's was the first book I picked up. A very talented and skilled individual who's love for the WW craft compelled him to share his knowledge with the rest of the WW community. Yes, he will be missed.

Betsy Yocum
11-02-2004, 9:30 AM
This is a terribly sad event. I've read almost all of Patrick's books and have learned a great deal from them.

My prayers are with his family and friends.

Betsy Yocum

Michael Ballent
11-02-2004, 3:32 PM
This make me sad :( I have many of his books as well.

Ted Shrader
11-02-2004, 5:53 PM
Mr. Spielman was a dedicated instructor and had a remarkable ability to share his talent for woodworking. There are a number of his books on my shelves. His talents will be missed by the woodworking community.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Ted

Stan Smith
11-02-2004, 6:24 PM
Pat was a kind person with a great ability to explain things in a patient manner. His passing does create a void that will take some time to fill.