PDA

View Full Version : Going Down that VFD Road...

Nigel Tracy
03-04-2010, 6:29 PM
Hi all,

Since I enjoy pictures of what's going on in your worlds so often, I thought I'd share what I'm up to. I just took apart the reeves drive system in my new-to-me lathe (General 260 20") with the plan to install a VFD and 3phase motor, complete with remote control. (Having already had EVS in my previous lathe, I couldn't go back to anything else...)

The old motor is a nice Baldor 2hp and of course has the starter and switch, which I've now removed. Any VFD/electrical experts out there know if I can use the switch as an additional remote on/off switch for the VFD?

If not, I'm thinking that the switch, starter, and 2hp Baldor would do nicely in a big old bandsaw... so now my eyes are open for some old iron...

As you can see the old reeves belt is wide at 7/8" and has "teeth" (for lack of an official term). I'm going to use the existing sheaves and belt for now just to get turning again!--but I figure I'll soon order a 4 step pulley set from General or somewhere and replace the bearings at the same time I'm monkeying with that.

The last picture of the shavings is where the previous lathe was... I just can't wait to get back at it! (Hopefully tomorrow!)

Anyway enjoy the shots and any comments, experiences, or observations are always welcome http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Ron Lynch
03-04-2010, 8:09 PM
VFDs are a wonderful thing, I have one in my old Powermatic 45. I don't think I understand why you want to replace the Reeves type variable speed system with 4 step pulleys. That sounds like a step backwards. The Reeves in combination with the VFD gives you all the spped flexibility you could ask for.

Nigel Tracy
03-04-2010, 8:36 PM
Hi Ron,
ya I guess I wasn't too clear--one of the reasons for the conversion is that I found the reeves a bit noisy and subject to vibration at some speeds. With the vfd I really won't need to keep the reeves so I figured I'd remove it. As a result the motor will be much closer to the spindle which is also a good thing. Without stepped pulleys I'll have a good low range (prob up to 1500 or so) but eventually will want faster speeds without overclocking the motor.

Ron Lynch
03-04-2010, 8:55 PM
OK, have at it and keep us posted on the results

Dennis Ford
03-04-2010, 9:02 PM
The start/stop push-button can definitely be used, you might want an additional stop button near the tail-stock end. You will also need a potentiometer and a switch for forward/reverse.

* Start button (normally open momentary contact)
* Stop button(s) (normally closed momentary contact)
* Potentiometer (most vfds need 0 - 10K ohm)
* Switch for forward / reverse (I use a toggle switch)

My experience is with Hitachi VFDs, the wiring will be similar (but not the same terminal numbers) with other brands.

There are multiple other ways to control a VFD.