PDA

View Full Version : #20 Ambrosia BE Sycamore - A Country Bowl

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 6:15 PM
This piece is by far the thickest bowl I have turned, but I wanted it to have heft to go with the well rounded rim detail. Just seemed a light weight bowl wouldn't have been right. It is 9 1/4" x 2 7/8", and the color turned out beautiful - so much different from what I expected from sycamore.

This was a blank I bought from Mike Smith, and he sold it to me as BE sycamore, and it is. But, the ambrosia was a very nice surprise.

A little different from the more contemporary stuff I have been doing, but again, Ms. Keeton approves, so I guess this one passes the test.

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2010, 6:22 PM
Beautiful bowl John! Great form and finish! Glad to hear your wife is starting to approve of your work! Tells you that you are on the right track!

Looking forward to #21!

Robert McGowen
03-04-2010, 6:36 PM
Very nice form, John. That really does look like some nice wood.

gary Zimmel
03-04-2010, 6:38 PM
Number 20 is another beauty....
Even better that Eileen is giving it the thumbs up.

As a side note.
A few of us have started a few side bets when you will get to # 100.....

Donny Lawson
03-04-2010, 7:02 PM
That is another great piece.All of your work is extreamly nice.Do you use a Donughnut chuck for the bottom of your bowls? I'm working on making me one is the reason I ask.
Donny

Curt Fuller
03-04-2010, 7:02 PM
Another beauty John!

Just curious, what does the "BE" stand for? And what did you use for the finish? Is that the natural color of the sycamore?
Also, I'm certainly no expert on ambrosia beetles (or any other beetles) but I have only seen ambrosia maple before, to the point that I thought ambrosia beetle only lived in maple. I can see that is definitely sycamore and ambrosia, so I guess you learn something new all the time.

Doug W Swanson
03-04-2010, 7:17 PM
I'm more into users than lookers so I really like the simpler forms like this.

This one really shows the coloring and grain well. I agree that the thickness works well with the edge treatment.

Another nice piece, John!

Doug

Frank Drew
03-04-2010, 7:43 PM
Just curious, what does the "BE" stand for? Bird's eye, I think; you can see a few of them on the inside of the bowl.

Very nice, John; I particularly like the rolled rim and the bead below the rim, the kind of details that really elevate a piece, and that last long past when the grain fades.

Tony De Masi
03-04-2010, 7:49 PM
Ah another very well done John. Some may say you are at it again but I would say you never stopped in the first place.

Love the rim detail. Done with the vortex tool or the new Thompson?

Tony

Roland Martin
03-04-2010, 7:50 PM
Very nice bowl John. Not ever working with Sycamore, I didn't realize just how attractive it was. The top edge detail is great.

Kevin J Lalonde
03-04-2010, 8:03 PM
Certainly another Keeton! Yeah i really like this bowl also. I havent added many embellishments to my bowls as i'm really working on making beads and all but so for your work is fantastic. I too look forward to the daily postings, guess i'm one of the many Keeton "entourage".

David E Keller
03-04-2010, 8:23 PM
Nice looking bowl. That is a lot of color for sycamore. Nice detail at the lip, nice shape, and finish.

charlie knighton
03-04-2010, 9:02 PM
very nice...

James Combs
03-04-2010, 9:06 PM
Nice John, as usual. It's always nicer too when the better half likes it.

Baxter Smith
03-04-2010, 9:12 PM
Very nice John. Lots of big sycamores along the roads around here. Some get cut occasionaly. Guess I will have to keep an eye out!

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 9:30 PM
Thanks!! This bowl definitely has a home spun flavor to it. Reminds me of the kind of bowl that my grandmother would have had around the farmhouse.:) Kind of gives me the "warm and fuzzies!!"

Of course, this means I have to go a 180* on the next one and do something different.:eek: It is in the mental planning stages already.;)

Do you use a Donughnut chuck for the bottom of your bowls? I'm working on making me one is the reason I ask.
DonnyDonny, I did make a donut chuck to use on a piece I did, but for this piece I used the Cole jaws. On most of the bowls, I just use the chuck, with a pad over it for friction against the inside of the bowl, and gently use the tailstock up against the bottom of the bowl in the recess where the medallion goes. I always mark the dead center with an awl before I flip the bowl in the chuck. I can access everything from there as the medallion recess is 1.5".
Just curious, what does the "BE" stand for? And what did you use for the finish? Is that the natural color of the sycamore?Curt, Frank was right on the BE - bird's eye. The finish is BLO and shellac on the lathe, buffed out with 0000, and 2 coats of brush on satin lacquer, buffed with 0000. As you noted before, I really do need to get a buffing system. It is on the list. On the Ambrosia, I always thought the sycamore was in the maple family (not sure about that) and perhaps that is why it is susceptible to the beetle.

Tony, forgot to answer your question. I did the rim details with the Thompson bowl gouge and tweaked it with the detail gouge - love both of those tools!!

John W Dixon
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
John, you just keep turning em out and I think they just keep getting better. Heck you're gonna be in to some cash just filling in the pennies on the bottom of those things:D Looking forward to seeing the next one.

John

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Very beautiful bowl John. Really like the wood, form and finish. Rim treatment is great. Reminds me of the wood bowls my grandmother had.

Brian Effinger
03-04-2010, 10:40 PM
A real beauty John, and I agree about the "homey" feel to it. Very nice. Also, I thought that sycamore was related, somehow, to the maple, but I could be wrong. ;)

Of course, this means I have to go a 180* on the next one and do something different.:eek: It is in the mental planning stages already.;)

One word - Segmented! :D

Roger Bullock
03-05-2010, 6:32 AM
I've made several flat work pieces from quarter sawn sycamore but always thought that it was rather plain otherwise. But this "Keeton" proves that theory all wrong. Nice looking bowl, it has that usable country look to it. If your wife likes it, better tell her to put it to use quick or one of your kids will scoop this one up fast.

Toney Robertson
03-05-2010, 7:04 AM
Nice looking John.

You really get nice crisp details. I can't do that.

Toney

Nick Mastropietro
03-05-2010, 7:10 AM
Now I know why there is so much intrest from creekers wanting to know when your next piece will be displayed. You certainly have the knack for turning. Nice bowl

Allen Neighbors
03-05-2010, 8:36 AM
Well done, John!

Rob Cunningham
03-05-2010, 8:53 AM
Nice looking bowl John. The thickness and the rim treatment work well together.

Brad Vaughn
03-05-2010, 9:21 AM
Very nice bowl.
One thing I like about all your bowls are the medallion on the bottom they are so constant.
Now I would love to know how your are making them.

bob svoboda
03-05-2010, 11:07 AM
Nice shape and great rim detail. My wife keeps telling me to make my bowls thicker--This piece just shows she's probably right again!

Gary Chester
03-05-2010, 11:43 AM
And again... nicely done!

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 7:05 PM
You guys are great, and I very much appreciate all the kind comments. I spent the day gathering up wood from around the area. The power company has cut trees all over the place - wood everywhere. Hope to finish it up tomorrow - then, to get started on the next project!! The mental plan is just about complete.:)

Mark Burge
03-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Very nice bowl John. I am surprised at how dark the sycamore is. I've been working on some sycamore that I got from the family farm up in KY and it is much lighter wood. I would not have thought that your finish would darken it so much. Was it blond before? I've also found some great highlight places in sycamore logs and the plain look of the rest of it sets these off nicely. Happy turning. (Go Cats).

Tim Browne
03-06-2010, 9:23 AM
Beautiful bowl John. That bowl just begs to be handled, very comfortable looking. You certainly did justice to a great looking piece of wood.