PDA

View Full Version : Drill Bit Extension?? Do they make 'em?

Jim Eller
03-04-2010, 2:54 PM
Once again I'm in a situation where the jobber length drill bit is not long enough because the drill chuck gets in the way. I'm trying to drill pilot holes in a base and the vertical side gets in the way of the drill chuck.

The bit would work if I could get it drill all the way to the chuck.

So, the question, does anyone make a drill bit extension for small bits such as 1/8"?

Thanks,
Jim

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 3:01 PM
The only ones I have seen only go down to 1/4", desgned more for spades/holesaws etc. Time for an aircraft bit either 6" or 12". The aircraft bit wll probably be less expensive than an extension anyone. Just be careful they aren't hard to break.

John Harden
03-04-2010, 3:33 PM
Yeah, they make them. Go by your local Harbor Freight. I have a 6" and a 12" set I bought there for about $5-$10.

You'll want the type that has the hex head on the end of it. You can then just use drill bits with snap in hex shanks. The bits go down to 1/16" or so. If you don't have any hex bits, grab these while you're at HF.

Regards,

John

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 3:43 PM
Yeah, they make them. Go by your local Harbor Freight. I have a 6" and a 12" set I bought there for about $5-$10.

You'll want the type that has the hex head on the end of it. You can then just use drill bits with snap in hex shanks. The bits go down to 1/16" or so. If you don't have any hex bits, grab these while you're at HF.

Regards,

John

Excellent idea, didn't think about the hex versions with a hex shanked bit. Come to think of it think Snappy makes them also.

Jim Eller
03-04-2010, 5:22 PM
John - HF it is. Just happen to have one in town.

Thanks.

glenn bradley
03-04-2010, 5:30 PM
So, the question, does anyone make a drill bit extension for small bits such as 1/8"?

Thanks,
Jim

I haven't seen them for smaller than 1/4" due to the fact that the retaining collar would be too big to do you any good except in rare circumstance (like yours) :) Long bits are readily available at the BORG or our favorite specialty stores for a few bucks each.

I have 6" and 10" in specific sizes of split points and a cheap-o set of long brad points from Peachtree. The Peachtree bits are nothing to write home about but have more than paid for themselves in the few times I've used them.

Jim Eller
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Does anyone make a mini chuck on an extended shaft?

Rick Moyer
03-05-2010, 3:58 PM
In a pinch, a section of coat hanger has worked as a drill bit. Just make the end pointy, and of course make sure the length is straight. Don't know if that will work for what you want but worth a shot maybe.

Bob Wingard
03-06-2010, 10:58 AM
Go to Northern or any well stocked tool/hardware store, and ask for a 1/8" AirCraft Drill. They come in many small diameters .. and are 12" long. Should be under $10.

David G Baker
03-06-2010, 4:59 PM
I pick up radio antennas at garage sales. I use long CB antennas for pulling wire and communication antennas as different size drill bits. I grind an angle or point on the tip of the antenna that has been cut to the needed length. I have also used finishing nails to make small holes in wood.

Jim Eller
03-06-2010, 7:15 PM
Thanks again for the ideas.

Jay Jeffery
03-07-2010, 4:57 PM
Almost 10 years ago I bought an extension for spade drill bits. It is still in the package, but some day I'll be glad I've held on to it all these years and hauled it around in many moves. It only works with spade bits, though.