PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D4R Dovetail Jig...

John Grabowski
03-04-2010, 2:35 PM
I put a video up of me using my D4R on my youtube site. Its http://www.youtube.com/grub32

I wanted to put this up to show how I use the jig. I am a little more than a novice woodworker and this gives me the ability to make perfect half blind dovetails 100% of the time with little effort.

The first part of the 3 part series is up now...Rest will be up later tonight or tomorrow morning.

I hope that some of you out there that are looking to buy a jig will watch and use it to help you decide.

Thanks for all the info that I received from so many of you.

John G

Greg Wittler
03-04-2010, 4:13 PM
Thanks, will watch the rest when you put them up. I am on the fence right now looking down at both the Akeda and the D4 not sure which yard to jump in to.

Greg

John Grabowski
03-04-2010, 5:01 PM
Best of luck Greg...I figured I would put this up so people could see a novices approach to using the jig...I really like it.

John G

John Pratt
03-04-2010, 5:26 PM
Looking forward to seeing the next installments of the video. I have the D4R and at first found it very intimidating to use. Definitely a little more complicated than my old PC jig. What are your issues using a silicone product on a woodworking tool?

Erik Frederiksen
03-04-2010, 5:48 PM
Greg, I was also on the fence between Leigh and Akeda. The reason I ended up buying the Akeda is that the people who have both and posted about it said they always reach for the Akeda. Their Leighs just collect dust. Capabilities are similar, but the Leigh is more complicated to set up.

roman fedyk
03-04-2010, 8:10 PM
+1 on the Akeda. I have all the jigs, the D4R, the PC Omnijig and two Akedas. I use the Akedas all the time while the others just sit around.

The Akeda is so simple to use even a caveman could do it...... and I like simple. Life is complicated, so your jig shouldn't be. Everyone I know who pulled the trigger on the Akeda is extremely pleased with the machine.

John Grabowski
03-04-2010, 8:17 PM
Actually, I use the silicon spray on all my woodworking tools...The wood is going to go through the sanding ritual after being shaped and tooled by my machines so it seems not to have any affect.

One of the main reasons that I bough the Leigh was that my local woodcraft has them. I have had problems with tools that I have purchased in the past and just went in and my guy there just took the part off one of the brand new tools that he had there and gave it to me. He then took care of replacing the part for me. That is service the internet will never provide for me. That is the main reason I support my local woodcraft. Also, because he is the owner and goes out of his way to help me out.

I have not had any problems setting this thing up. Any questions about that, I can answer. Once you set it once, you are good forever with each bit...

I am working on the other videos now with pics of the finished product. They should both be up by morning.

Thanks for looking,

John G