PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!

Darrin Davis
03-04-2010, 1:42 PM
I waxed my table saw top and was going to wait 5 minutes to wipe down. I got sidetracked and let it dry for 2 hours. Now I cannot get it off! I've tried steel wood with more wax but am still having trouble. Any help on this problem!

Thanks

Dave Cav
03-04-2010, 1:44 PM
WD40 or mineral spirits should take it right off. Any solvent should work.

Wayne Sparkman
03-04-2010, 1:48 PM
You should be able to sand through that wax quite easily using a 600 grit or better paper.

Or if you prefer, isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) should melt the wax.
The alcohol will probably leave streaks though.

Eric DeSilva
03-04-2010, 1:54 PM
Personally, I'd probably just heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and then buff it like I normally would have...

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 2:09 PM
Personally, I'd probably just heat it up a bit with a hair dryer and then buff it like I normally would have...

Sometimes the simple answer is the best answer!

Mike Cruz
03-04-2010, 3:47 PM
The TS is now COMPLETELY useless! You should sell it. Definitely sell it. Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll give you $100 to take it off your hands...since it can't be used anymore. Wow, I'm so nice... :D

Myk Rian
03-04-2010, 3:49 PM
+1 on the heat. When I put wax on my table tops I use a heat gun to melt it into the surface before buffing it.

John Thompson
03-04-2010, 4:09 PM
A little bird told me to never apply straight canubu wax to a full size van and let it sit too long many years ago when I was younger. You have your answers to this simple problem compared to that. :D

Roger Bullock
03-04-2010, 5:06 PM
40 years ago when I was 16, I waxed my first used car. Waxed the whole car, was called to supper, watched a TV show and when out to remove the wax. That car still had some wax on it when I sold it a few years later. I feel your pain.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2010, 5:09 PM
Dave has it: Mineral Spirits...it should redissolve the wax....

Darrin Davis
03-05-2010, 9:00 AM
It's a sawstop. I would have to ask for at least $125

Mike Goetzke
03-05-2010, 9:04 AM
I have hear if you apply more wax it will dissolve what has hardened - may want to try this first. BTW - I has left wax on too long and found it disappears in no time if the saw gets used.

Mike

Kyle Iwamoto
03-05-2010, 10:52 AM
It's a sawstop. I would have to ask for at least $125

No way! 100 bucks max!

Wow! I definetely feel for you. Razor blade and use it as a scraper. Personally, I'd stay away from any sandpaper on MY SS. They go through a lot to make that table flat. Sanding is out of the question for fixing my top.

Just my $.02.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
When I have had this happen I just put more wax on, and then buffed out.. worked fine..

Paul Ryan
03-05-2010, 2:01 PM
I always let johnson's past wax completely dry over night before I take it off. Then I buff it with a bath or hand towel. The roughness of the hand towel and some elbow grease will get it off. But the wax protects better that way. I had have problems in the spring hear when the air is so thick it is like pea soup. A good heavy coat of wax buffed out like that, and my cross cut sled over it takes care of any problems now.