PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Bandsaw customer support

Fred Perreault
03-04-2010, 10:57 AM
I bought a Rikon 10-325 bandsaw at the R.I. Woodcraft store a few weeks back. As most of us usually do, I researched the purchase to death. I had a budget, but also a good idea of the features I wanted and the work I would do. The Rikon seemed to be the best choice for my parameters. After setting it up as well as I could (I had a Delta 14" for 20 years), there was still something funky about the table alignment, and the guides. After communicating my issues, with requested pictures, Rikon sent a rep (Rod Burrow) the 2 hour drive to my shop. He came with an assortment of replacement parts, and was a hands-on tuner. In the end he replaced the table, tuned the saw for the Timberwolf 1/2" resaw blade, and gave me many tips and suggestions. It was the higher rating of the support from Rikon that initially tipped me towards their saw, and they did not disappoint at all. He resolved all issues, said he enjoys the chance for road trips, and made note of some of the items I pointed out that might be improved. He also pointed out that the Timberwolf blade had issues, as well. About 6" each side of the weld, there is a slight "outie" that causes a minor ticking against the thrust bearings when all else is aligned properly. It was not enough for me to return the blade, as it performs significantly better than the OEM Rikon blade.
In this age of increasingly unresponsive customer support, it was refreshing to see how Rikon handled my issues. The 10-325 bandsaw is not an expensive unit, and more money presumably buys you better machining, more weight, stronger components, etc. We all have wants, but the Rikon serves my budget and needs, and having a live support person picking up the phone on the first ring............priceless

Dennis Lopeman
03-04-2010, 2:12 PM
That is good to hear! Customer service is what many American companies are lacking - and they WONDER why they are all being beat to death from outsourcing/importing! If you outsource overseas, no one is coming to your house!! So this is the way to bring American consumers back to America!

I like the hands on help. I usually have a million questions myself - and want to know things enough to teach them to others... whether they want me to or not!! LOL

I wonder if RIKON has guys like that in GA...

Van Huskey
03-04-2010, 2:27 PM
That is good to hear! Customer service is what many American companies are lacking - and they WONDER why they are all being beat to death from outsourcing/importing! If you outsource overseas, no one is coming to your house!! So this is the way to bring American consumers back to America!

I like the hands on help. I usually have a million questions myself - and want to know things enough to teach them to others... whether they want me to or not!! LOL

I wonder if RIKON has guys like that in GA...

Great to hear about the good customer service.

As for GA, keep in mind Fred is lucky enough to be "right down the road" from Rikon's home office.

Jim Eller
03-04-2010, 2:40 PM
I spoke with them(Rod I believe) when I purchase my 10-325 last year. He resolved the issue quickly like I was the only customer he had. No rush and very knowledgeable.

Good folks.

Dennis Lopeman
03-04-2010, 3:01 PM

As for GA, keep in mind Fred is lucky enough to be "right down the road" from Rikon's home office.

Yeah - I figured as much!!!

Gary Muto
03-05-2010, 7:06 AM
I talked to Rod too. He was very helpful by being able to expalin what to do. He was really good at explaining how the adjustments work. I had blade tracking issues that I diagnosed as a wheel non-coplaner issue. Rod took the time to expalin how to adjust the tracking on the lower wheel so that the blade tracked in the center of both wheels. His directions were simple, the results were excellent and it took very little time. I never checked for co-planer wheels after that and I have NO drift.

I talked with another guy John, I think, when I first got the saw. he had some spare parts sent to me really quick. Rikon gets it, customer service is important to them.

Ken Massingale
03-05-2010, 8:02 AM
Customer support and tech support simply doesn't get any better than Rikon, period.

Fred Perreault
03-05-2010, 8:32 AM
An additional point I would like to make is that when I first contacted Rikon by phone, they walked me through the lower wheel adjustment. They indicated that getting the saw blade centered first thing was very important. It is obvious how to do this after being pointed in this direction, but I pointed out to the rep on the phone that this is not documented in the manual (a pretty limited manual). I suggested that it probably is important enough to be in the manual. Anyway, as it happens they now have a link on their website (a .pdf), that graphically explains the need and procedure for adjusting the lower wheel.
A refreshing way to do business.

Lex Boegen
03-05-2010, 7:20 PM
This is why I login to SMC at least once per day. I've learned as much about companies as I have about woodworking techniques, and these days in a tight economy, that is good info to have. I'm not in the market for a bandsaw, but I just put Rikon on my short list for midi lathes.

glenn bradley
03-05-2010, 7:37 PM

I'm well within 2 hours of a few companies. Only Delta used to offer "in home" service and even that failed. They took my DP for a month. I guess its the thought that counts ;-)

Glad Rikon stepped up. Kudos!

Joseph Tarantino
03-05-2010, 10:58 PM
i don't have a rikon BS. i have an 18" jet BS. when i had occasion to adjust the lower wheel to address the oscillating motion rikon's PDF specifically addresses, jet's response was, "don't touch the lower wheel adjustment". it is interesting that rikon helps its customers to maximize the performance of its tools while jet reprimands it's customers, neglects to put a "no lower wheel adjustment" caution in it's manuals and provides no technical support to assist in adjusting the lower wheel. quite a difference. if i ever get another BS, rikon is going to the top of the list.