PDA

View Full Version : Carter guide bearings failed

Harvey Pascoe
03-04-2010, 9:51 AM
After two years several of my Carter band saw guide bearings have seized up, won't turn. I've had this problem with router bearings so I cut one in half to see what the problem was. The damn balls were plastic and simply melted. My saw does not get heavy or abusive use, is properly set up and well maintained.

As for the seized Carter bearings I soaked them in mineral spirits and got them to turn a bit but are still way too stiff. I cannot figure why these bearings should seize up when there is hardly any load on them at all. Even if they get impacted with dust, that should not cause steel bearings to seize. Which makes me suspect they are plastic. Anyone know what's wrong with these things or if they are plastic?

Mike OMelia
03-04-2010, 10:42 AM
I dunno, but I would be calling Carter up, maybe phone Iturra designs.

Mike

Pete Bradley
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
The bearings should be a standard size and easily replaceable. Even the junky ones at the hardware store are fine for this application.

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2010, 11:43 AM
Usually, you can take one of the bearings to an auto parts store and get replacement bearings in differing levels of quality.

Paul Atkins
03-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Are they sealed or shielded bearings? I've always have replaced shielded ones with sealed ones. Even so, at some time they all get sawdust in them. Sawdust will seize up a bearing.

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Even so, at some time they all get sawdust in them. Sawdust will seize up a bearing.

That's my experience, too. Sometimes, I can get some more use out of a seized or semi-seized bearing by blowing it out with the air nozzle.

Harvey Pascoe
03-04-2010, 12:51 PM
Mine are shielded, not sealed. I popped the rubber/steel seals off each side with X-acto knife. Bearings were totally impacted, so I rinsed with mineral spirits and then blew out with air hose and repacked with lithium grease and put back together. Presto! Good as new. Took an hour to do all ten. Saved me about $90 minimum.

So, if you got sticky bearings, you might want to pull them from time to time and do a little preventative maintenance.:D

BTW, minimum replacement cost is $10 each. Sealed ones are (gasp) $30 each and you can get them at VXB.com.

Norman Pyles
03-04-2010, 1:05 PM
Usually, you can take one of the bearings to an auto parts store and get replacement bearings in differing levels of quality.
+1 what he said.

Steve Peterson
03-04-2010, 1:18 PM
I purchased a used BS on CL. The guides use the exact same size bearings as inline skates. They are readily available for around $20 per 16 pack.

I suspect that the Carter bearings are a common size that can be replaced for much less than $10 each.

Steve

Alex Shanku
03-04-2010, 3:02 PM
Mine are shielded, not sealed. I popped the rubber/steel seals off each side with X-acto knife. Bearings were totally impacted, so I rinsed with mineral spirits and then blew out with air hose and repacked with lithium grease and put back together. Presto! Good as new. Took an hour to do all ten. Saved me about $90 minimum.

So, if you got sticky bearings, you might want to pull them from time to time and do a little preventative maintenance.:D

BTW, minimum replacement cost is $10 each. Sealed ones are (gasp) $30 each and you can get them at VXB.com.

What are the bearing numbers in question? I have restored many old machines, and none of the bearings were that expense, save for a shaper and a set of double row bearings for a planer.

Pete Bradley
03-04-2010, 7:49 PM

Nah. Odd old school sizes might cost that much, but these shouldn't.