PDA

View Full Version : Satin Lacquar finish

John Welty
03-04-2010, 9:29 AM
Has anyone heard of this
I live in a smaller town that has a local sherwin williams store. I went there to buy their moisture resistent cabinet lacquer. I was looking for a satin type but the store only had the "simi satin" and said that it would be ok, most of the local shops that used it said it deadened the gloss just fine. So I bought 5 gal and gave it a try. It sprayed great using a turbin gun, but (there always has to be a but) for me the finish has way to much shine for the project i'm doing. I had heard an old time method used by the good ol boys at the auto paint shops to deaden a color to match an older finish was to add talc to the paint, or lacquer in this case.
Any thoughts???:confused:

Phil Phelps
03-04-2010, 10:13 AM
John, the SW store should have sold you a flattening agent. Hopefully they sell it in quarts rather than gallons. Several people will tell you their method and brew and I'm sure many work. However, whatever you use there is no real measurment as to how much per quart will do the job. You really have to play with it to achieve the gloss your after. Remember the higher the gloss the harder the finish. I like a satin finish to low luster on furniture.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-05-2010, 8:14 AM
Get out the steel wool and some wool lube (Behlen). Go to work taking down the gloss with 0000 steel wool or even 400 through 800 grit wet and dry paper used wet. I spray SW moisture resistant a lot and have for years. It is a great finish. I spray hi gloss and rub it to the finish I want. Wait until you feel the surface after rubbing out. It will feel like satin. If you go on line to Jeff Jewett's site you will find a very fine article on rubbing out a finish.
fmr

Andy McCormick
03-05-2010, 8:57 PM
John I use a product called t77 f63 which is an acrylic conversion lacquer. It is sold by sherwin williams also. I know from experience that if I don't abosolutely shake the hell out of the 5 gallon container it will be glossy. It takes me 5 minutes of shaking the can to get it mixed properly. Believe me mixing will achieve a less glossy shine. To the best of my knowledge they should have a satin in your finish. You can go to sherwin williams website and look at what they offer. Andy