PDA

View Full Version : John Keeton MISSING ???

Charles Bouchelle
03-04-2010, 6:06 AM
It has been days,and no new work from Mr Keeton posted.I miss the turning of the day,being a new turner I am amazed everyday (except the last few)how this guy turns such great looking stuff without years and years of experence.He must be working on something really special for #20.

Donny Lawson
03-04-2010, 6:32 AM
I am also looking foward to seeing # 20. I just wish I had half the tallent he has.
Donny

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 7:04 AM
You guys are taskmasters!!!!:eek: Thanks for the comments - they are humbling.

The stark realities of life smacked me in the face - I actually had to stay at the office and work some!!:( Needless to say, that hampers my early afternoon production cycle!;)

Besides, it seems like I was hogging the show there for a while, and it doesn't seem right to be posting so much.

There is one off the lathe, but it hasn't gone through the "finishing division" yet, but here is a sneak peek -
Ambrosia birdseye sycamore, the thickest bowl I have done. Sort of a country look.

I am going to my first meeting of the local turners club tonite - kind of excited about that. I guess local is relative - it meets about 30 minutes from home.

This one may not get "officially" posted until tomorrow. And, Friday, I actually have to be at the office part of the day - not my regular plan!! Not sure what happened there - poor planning?? :confused: And, this weekend, the weather should be good, and I hope to harvest and blank out some wood.

I do have another turning in the design and development department, but it may be next week getting done.

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2010, 8:08 AM
Looking forward to seeing the finished bowl John! Have fun harvesting wood this weekend!

Baxter Smith
03-04-2010, 8:35 AM
I am going to my first meeting of the local turners club tonite - kind of excited about that. I guess local is relative - it meets about 30 minutes from home.

Looks good! Kind of reminded me of someone saying they were going to their first AA meeting.

Steve Mawson
03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Very special rim treatment. Not sure where you get all these ideas but they are great. This one is special to me.:cool: Since it is supposed to be a nice weekend in Nebraska, know it will be really nice in KY. Envey you cutting all those new blanks. Have fun--

Bob Bergstrom
03-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Thirty minutes to a wood turning meeting is well worth the effort. I've known guys traveling three hours one way and not wanting to go home till after 10. You won't regret going to a wood turning meeting. They are just as crazy as the rest of us about woodturning.:D

Brian Effinger
03-04-2010, 5:06 PM
That is about the time it takes me to get to one of my club meetings, and it is mostly expressway. I use the time to think about things. :D The one I'm going to tonight is only 10 minutes fortunately.

This one may not get "officially" posted until tomorrow. And, Friday, I actually have to be at the office part of the day - not my regular plan!! Not sure what happened there - poor planning?? :confused: And, this weekend, the weather should be good, and I hope to harvest and blank out some wood.
Work!!! :eek: John, there are more important things than work. Like woodturning! :D:p:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2010, 5:16 PM
Takes us about 40 minutes to make the trip to our club meetings but that is only for those couple of months there isn't snow on the road.

Brian Brown
03-04-2010, 5:27 PM

Got my club meeting tonight too. It's only 1 block from my house, and I'm not so excited, because I'm the demonstrator. Amazing how much less you anticipate the meetings when you re on the spot. Oh well.

Nigel Tracy
03-04-2010, 5:49 PM
...Besides, it seems like I was hogging the show there for a while, and it doesn't seem right to be posting so much...
Speaking of posting so much, I have a quick question: do you have/buy/beg/steal a supply of dry blanks? I ask since it seems you are once-turning your bowls... I just don't remember any posts or questions about roughouts or drying.

Everything I've turned so far in my relatively short turning life (a year or so) starts wet and warps first. Then again I just go to my "back 40" for wood.

I guess this is turning into the (possibly very ignorant) question: is it actually possible to obtain sizeable blanks that are completely dry?

Thanks for listening to my rambling thoughts...

John Keeton
03-04-2010, 6:17 PM
Nigel, I have posted a couple of threads, one this morning, on buying dry wood. Jeff Nicol has some blanks available now - you should contact him.

Hope you get some!!

Nigel Tracy
03-04-2010, 6:36 PM
Nigel, I have posted a couple of threads, one this morning, on buying dry wood. Jeff Nicol has some blanks available now - you should contact him.

Hope you get some!!Thanks John,

Yep I just noticed that thread... "I might have missed something"... :o

What is the largest completely dry blank you have obtained?

John Keeton
03-05-2010, 7:40 AM
Nigel, PM sent on the wood!