PDA

View Full Version : Certainly no one has done this but me --

Betsy Yocum
11-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I starting cutting before being finished planning! YIKES:eek: :eek:

This time I'm getting off easy I'm sure - but this brings me to my question. When gluing parts made of cocobola - is there one glue better than another? And/or should I simply be sure to wipe down both parts with paint thinner before gluing?

Your answers are always appreciated.:)

Thanks
Betsy

Tom LaRussa
11-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I starting cutting before being finished planning! YIKES:eek: :eek:
Betsy,

I'd be happy to help, but I'm afraid I don't understand part of your question.

What is this word ==> "planning"???????

Jim Becker
11-01-2004, 11:05 PM
Betsy, you need to wipe the joints with acetone prior to gluing. Woods like cocobolo (a member of the rosewood family) are naturally oily and you need to remove that oil in order insure that the glue bonds well. BTW, be sure you are using good personal protection when working with this wood. The dust is not good for you and some folks also react to it from touch.

John Miliunas
11-01-2004, 11:27 PM
Yeah, what Jim said and be careful of the slivers, as well. Na-a-a-a-a-asty! :cool:

Betsy Yocum
11-02-2004, 4:13 AM
Thanks all -

I've been sure to wear my respirator. I was surprised to see how very fine the dust was from this wood.

I'll get out the acetone and hopefully in a few days will have pictures of another nice box to show off.:D

Thanks again for the info.

Betsy

Kelly C. Hanna
11-02-2004, 7:33 AM
Nope...never...(yeah right)...

I can't tell you how many projects I've started without plans. I reference the current shop project...my new workbench/outfeed table. I have cut & glued the top together, cut and rabetted all four legs and aprons and have not drawn squat on paper.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Even when I do draw up plans, they are usually just sketches.:cool:

Betsy Yocum
11-02-2004, 9:34 AM
It's certainly good to know that I'm in the majority and that I'm not the only one who thinks planning is a foreign concept!!!!;)

Betsy

Bob Hovde
11-02-2004, 9:57 AM
It's certainly good to know that I'm in the majority and that I'm not the only one who thinks planning is a foreign concept!!!!;)

Betsy

Planning is what you do the second time around! :rolleyes:

Bob

Steve Plunkett
11-02-2004, 10:34 AM
Betsy,
In addition to the respiratory problems cocobolo can cause allergic reactions on your skin. It causes red, very itchy spots on my hands that get worse everytime I use it. Be careful

Tom LaRussa
11-02-2004, 10:39 AM
When gluing parts made of cocobola - is there one glue better than another?
Betsy,

That cocobola is nasty stuff. In fact, I think it's just been banned by the EPA. :(

You'd better send all of your stock to me for safe disposal. :)

Betsy Yocum
11-02-2004, 1:38 PM
Betsy,

That cocobola is nasty stuff. In fact, I think it's just been banned by the EPA. :(

You'd better send all of your stock to me for safe disposal. :)
Is that innocent little puppy in your picture hiding your devious side Tom??? ;)

I only have just a little of the wood - and it's so heavy - would hate to ruin the postman's day by making him carry it. Especially since he's not happy with me because my dog bit him!

Maybe when I have a bit of balsa wood - I'll send it along - how would that be??? :D