PDA

View Full Version : Buying tires online

Shawn Christ
03-03-2010, 9:06 PM
I recently bought a 2007 GMC Sierra with factory 20-inch wheels. Had 40K miles and needed tires, so I reluctantly started calling around for quotes. No surprise, that size was expensive, and I wanted decent tires. The cheapest price I found was around $900 installed for BF Goodrich, special-order only. It was over $1000 for everything else. Only one tire shop had that size in stock and they wanted $1100 for a set of Bridgestones installed.

So I decided to check online. I've heard other guys talking about good prices at Tire Rack, so I checked 'em out. I found the OEM Goodyear Eagles for $141 each plus $95 shipping, for a total of $659. But then I noticed those tires had no warranty and horrible ratings. Then I found the top-rated Kumho Road Venture tires. Great reviews and a 60,000-mile warranty. $129 each plus $95 shipping, so I placed the order. Shipped by UPS and had 'em at my door in 2 days. I passed on the road hazard. So it was $611 for the tires and $46 for my mechanic to mount, balance, and dispose of the old tires.

$657 for new 20-inch tires shipped and installed; I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Anybody else buy tires online? What was your experience?

Matt Meiser
03-03-2010, 9:22 PM
I don't know, but if you drive across Indiana on the toll road you go right by Tire Rack's MASSIVE warehouse. Based on that I'd say its more than a small operation and someone's buying them.

Shawn Christ
03-03-2010, 9:27 PM
I don't know, but if you drive across Indiana on the toll road you go right by Tire Rack's MASSIVE warehouse.

Pretty sure that's where they shipped from.

Phil Thien
03-03-2010, 9:29 PM
Last time I needed tires my mechanic told me to order them online and have them dropped ship to his shop. Once they arrived, he called me and told me to bring the car in.

Sean Troy
03-03-2010, 9:33 PM
Be very careful buying online and having a local dealer install for you. Even if they are a dealer for that tire brand, they don't have to stand behind them if you didn't purchase them there. Thats in most states.

Shawn Christ
03-03-2010, 9:52 PM
Be very careful buying online and having a local dealer install for you. Even if they are a dealer for that tire brand, they don't have to stand behind them if you didn't purchase them there. Thats in most states.

And it's silly to expect that - the tires didn't come from them. In fact, I'd be ashamed to take online tires to a local dealer. My mechanic doesn't stock or sell tires, but was happy to install them. If I have treadwear problems or a tire defect, I will go to Tire Rack who, according to their website, will assist with a manufacturer warranty claim.

http://www.tirerack.com/about/return.jsp

Brett Robson
03-03-2010, 11:27 PM
I've been buying tires from tire rack for about 10 years now. I can't remember when I last bought a tire in a local store. In my experience, Tire rack is always less than the stores, even paying for local mount/balance.

I'd recommend them to anyone with a car!

Tom Godley
03-04-2010, 6:43 AM
Another fan of Tire Rack - I have been using them since the late 80's

They are absolutely hands down the best place to buy performance tires / speciality tires - I look no place else.

Also great when you need the whole wheel -- as in snow tires on separate rimes. Or when a older car needs all new rims. They ship them to you already balanced!!

The tire reviews are also very helpful.

They have more than one warehouse -- mine normally come from DE.

Ken Werner
03-04-2010, 7:46 AM
+1 for Tirerack.com. Have been using them for years. Never a problem. They charge less for new steel take-off wheels than I could find used ones for at the salvage yard. I don't worry about the warranty.

Ed Harrow
03-04-2010, 9:22 AM
I've purchased three or four sets of tires from them - the poor guy who suffers our cars recommended them (I knew of them, but had never purchased from them). As mentioned above the tires are shipped to his garage - he calls, and life is good, never a problem.

Mike Cutler
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
TireRack is a very reputable company. I've been getting tires and wheels from them for years.
TireRack can also provide for you a list of tire installers in your area that they have a working relationship with. TireRack will drop ship the tires to them and spare you the hassle of having them shipped to your home.
I've purchased winter wheel/tire packages for three different cars, and had them sent to my home. Everything was perfect. The last set was for my Mini Cooper that has run flat tires and a TPMS system. They too were perfect.

Dave Johnson29
03-04-2010, 1:12 PM
I bought a set of full-size-truck tires from DiscountTires.com with free AZ shipping. They were a little cheaper than Tire Rack but the free shipping tipped the scales for me.

After 38K I am still very happy with the Yokohamas that cost me $352 and $44 for mounting and balance at the local tire shop.

Very happy with DiscountTires. There was a valve recall about a year later and even though I didn't buy valves from them with the tires, they sent a check to cover the cost of fitting replacement valves.

I sent the check back with an explanation that I only purchased tires but they sent the check back again. Beats me, so I banked it. :)

Chris Padilla
03-04-2010, 1:49 PM
TireRack is a very reputable company. I've been getting tires and wheels from them for years.
TireRack can also provide for you a list of tire installers in your area that they have a working relationship with. TireRack will drop ship the tires to them and spare you the hassle of having them shipped to your home.
I've purchased winter wheel/tire packages for three different cars, and had them sent to my home. Everything was perfect. The last set was for my Mini Cooper that has run flat tires and a TPMS system. They too were perfect.

Ditto ditto ditto Tirerack has kept my BMW humming along nicely since 2001. :) They have a warehouse in Reno that handles most of the Western US....

Bob Borzelleri
03-04-2010, 2:12 PM
My car (Honda S2000) has Bridgestone tires that have a wear rating of 140 which is just above pencil eraser. Depending upon how I drive it, they can last somewhere between 8K and 15 K miles.

I bought one set of tires from Tire Rack and the price was the best I could find even adding in freight and local install with one of TR's "partners".

But next time around, the guy who did the last install say he'd match the TR price so I went with him. I guess people who drive cars with 140 rated tires are seen as a local investment.

Peter Stahl
03-04-2010, 6:57 PM
My car (Honda S2000) has Bridgestone tires that have a wear rating of 140 which is just above pencil eraser. Depending upon how I drive it, they can last somewhere between 8K and 15 K miles.

I bought one set of tires from Tire Rack and the price was the best I could find even adding in freight and local install with one of TR's "partners".

But next time around, the guy who did the last install say he'd match the TR price so I went with him. I guess people who drive cars with 140 rated tires are seen as a local investment.

Why tires with such a bad rating? What do you like about them? Have a lot of Bridgestone stock?

Tom Godley
03-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Peter - Tire life is affected by many things -- some cars are naturally harder on tires. In general tires with better grip have a lower wear rating.

True snow tires have a very low wear rating -- they are soft.

On one of my cars I have never hit 10k on the rears - I can not rotate them. On some higher performance RWD cars you must rotate them or just replace the rears.

I have a convertible that I only drive in good weather -- it came with Michelin tires - the only positive thing I can say about them is that they are quiet. I have always hated Michelin tires -- but they do wear well.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
another TireRack customer here. Had them shipped to my house and then took them to my local garage to be mounted.

scott galyon
03-04-2010, 10:45 PM
I recently bought some Toyo Versado tires for my 2006 Honda Odyssey from Treadepot. They seemed to have the best pricing, including shipping, when compared to the other on-line dealers. Got them within 4 or 5 days, had 'em installed and balanced at Wal-Mart. Love the tires and I saved some meaningful money.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/progress.gif

Dan Mitchell
03-05-2010, 3:30 AM
I've been buying tires from tire rack for about 10 years now. I can't remember when I last bought a tire in a local store. In my experience, Tire rack is always less than the stores, even paying for local mount/balance.

I'd recommend them to anyone with a car!

+1. I bought a set of Hi-perf Michelins from them for my Mitsubishi EVO when the original Yokos wore out in 10K. Great price & great service from the installer they recommended, who mounted & spin balanced the tires curbside in their van in front of my house. I R&R'd the wheels myself, which I always do anyway, preferring to use a torque wrench on the lug nuts. I'd definitely go the same route again.

As an aside, I recently picked up a nail in one of these tires. I took the tire over to the local Discount Tire to have the flat repaired & the assembly rebalanced, thinking it would be 15-20 bucks. They fixed the tire & rebalanced it, offering to install it on the car (again, thank you but no thank you, torque wrench) and charged me NOTHING. Now THAT'S a DEAL!

Mac McQuinn
03-05-2010, 9:00 AM
Sean,
When you buy a new vehicle and have a problem with a specific manufacturer's tire, you don't take it back to car dealer, you take it to the nearby tire manufacturer's dealer. There is usually a flyer in glove box which directs you to do so. If there is a warranty claim on the tire, it has to go there.
FWIW

I'm also a past customer of Tire Rack and it was great experience, No problems whatsoever and they have specific dealers in their database who install their tires.

Mac

Brian Elfert
03-05-2010, 10:08 AM
The local tire shop I deal will install Tire Rack tires. The problem is they charge an obscene amount to do so. They obviously don't want to deal with tires they didn't sell.

I suspect they have a price listed for Tire Rack so someone doesn't think the $9 or whatever they charge for mounting and balancing applies to tires not bought there.

Larry Frank
03-05-2010, 8:32 PM
I have thought about going the route of buying tires online and then having a local dealer install them but the price for the installation canceled out the savings of buying them online. I have used the local tire dealer for a long time and always check tire prices and they will almost always match price or come close. I also buy the hazard insurance which covers tire repairs and replacement due to damage and also tire rotation. I have gotten my money's worth from the hazard insurance. The other advantage of using the local dealer is that if I need a repair in a hurry they know that I am a long time customer and will do it for me.

One other thought, you can buy the tire hazard insurance for the tires on a new car at a tire dealer. When I was working in the steel mill, flat tires were a constant problem especially in winter. The ability to get them fixed free was a great value.

Jim Becker
03-05-2010, 10:18 PM
I used TireRack to replace the tires on my Highlander Hybrid about a year ago and was completely satisfied. They shipped (quickly) to my dealer and the service manager arranged to have them properly setup and installed. I ended up with much better tires than the OEM and for less money than another set of the OEM tires would have cost, including the $100 dealer setup/balance/install for the set of four.

Bob Borzelleri
03-06-2010, 2:31 AM
Why tires with such a bad rating? What do you like about them? Have a lot of Bridgestone stock?

I guess you have not driven a Honda S2000.:)

What you loose in mileage you gain in spades in traction and road holding ability. The car corners like it's on rails.:D

Dan Mages
03-07-2010, 8:09 AM
Another Tire Rack fan here. If you are in Northern Indiana, you can take your car there for tire service. I did this once and was greeted by the founder of the company. He pulled my car into the service bay and his techs did quick work replacing a bad tire. One thing I did not know about them is that they have an on-site track where the performance test tires.