PDA

View Full Version : My Harp Guitar

Mike OMelia
03-03-2010, 8:58 PM
Well, I know most of you guys are into stuff much different than me, but I learned a lot here from many of you and thought I could share my latest finished project. Its my second guitar ever, and the only reason I got into building guitars. It is called a harp guitar. She is not perfect, but she sounds very good.

Mike

Jim Rimmer
03-03-2010, 9:10 PM
Nice job. I don't think I ahve ever heard of nor seen a harp guitar. Are the two parts played simultaneously, and if yes, how?

Michael Peet
03-03-2010, 9:44 PM
Very unusual and beautifully done, Mike.

Mike OMelia
03-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Thank you!

The 6 lower strings are tuned "sympathetically" with the primary 6 strings (fretted). Whatever the tuning one might be using. So, even when they are not being plucked, they add a background resonance or depth. But yes, they are played. Think of pianos, left and right hands. But still, all the strings are played (in this case of a right hand guitar) with the right hand. But that does not mean the left hand cannot reach around or under to pluck a string! These were popular in the 20's and 30's. They have had something of a resurgance in popularity with Stephen Bennett's discovery of one in his father's attic (after his father had passed away). Michael Hedges was another modern day player before he died in an auto accident. Youtube has videos of folks playing them. Websites exist to promote them. They are without a doubt (in my mind) one of the most beautiful accoustic instruments. And they are without a doubt, a PITA to build, but IMHO, well worth it. I'm just getting started!

Mike

David DeCristoforo
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Check it out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN3439l4HR0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfnm__lNNUg&feature=related

Mike OMelia
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Exactly. Thanks for posting those links!

Brian Kent
03-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Amazing. I hadn't heard about Michael Hedges and his harp guitar for years, except for 2 hours ago at dinner. Thanks for making that.

Anthony Scott
03-04-2010, 3:31 PM
Well, I know most of you guys are into stuff much different than me, but I learned a lot here from many of you and thought I could share my latest finished project. Its my second guitar ever, and the only reason I got into building guitars. It is called a harp guitar. She is not perfect, but she sounds very good.

Mike

Wow cool! Did you go off a plan or a kit?

Stephen Edwards
03-04-2010, 4:02 PM
That's a beautiful instrument and it sure sounds nice, too. Thanks for sharing.

Mike OMelia
03-04-2010, 11:58 PM
There is a scanty plan from GAL. I had to ask a lot of questions, look at lots of pictures, and improvise as needed. I made a lot of mistakes and figured it out. No kit. I now understand why luthiers charge a gate fee starting at $7500 for these! Several more are under way.
Mike

Mike OMelia
03-05-2010, 12:02 AM
BTW, a lot of those questions were asked here. SMC folks were absolutely instrumental in assisting make this dream come true. Thank you!
Mike

Tony Shea
03-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow, Michael Hedges is pretty damn good. The harp guitar looks incredibly tough to play and he makes it sound great. He's also great at using natural harmonics on a few of his songs. Thanks for the post and nice job on that harp guitar. Looks insanely tough to make. And thanks for the lead onto a new artist Michael Hedges, good music.

phil harold
03-05-2010, 12:52 PM
that looks like a fun project

David DeCristoforo
03-05-2010, 6:52 PM
"Michael Hedges is pretty damn good....etc"

I know this thread is not about Michael Hedges but you are right. He was often called "the guitarist from another planet" because of his unorthodox and completely "out of the box" approach to handling the instrument. You could never get a really good grip on what he was doing until you actually saw him play. FWIW, here's another guy who does some, well... unusual stuff on the guitar

Van Huskey
03-06-2010, 1:50 AM
Beautiful and now I know what a harp guitar is!

John Keeton
03-06-2010, 7:12 AM
Very interesting project, and very educational thread/topic!! Thanks, Mike. I had no idea what a harp guitar was - but, now I do! Plus, I have also been able to enjoy David's links! Good start to a day!

John Thompson
03-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Extremely unusual and very unique to me.. Never knew such a beast existed...

Mike OMelia
03-08-2010, 12:50 AM
Thank you all. I have been sitting here looking at sheet music (which is wrong btw) and watching Hedges' videos trying to work it out (Because it's There). What amazes me is the very unorthodox approach to tuning these things. It just seems to depend on what you are trying to do. BTW, Michael Hedges' harp guitar is an 11 string, mine is a 12 string.

Hey, I know this. We all see something at one time or another (made out of wood) and tell ourselves, we can do that. The lesson I have learned in woodworking is to build something that you love. I have loved this thing since I first laid eyes on it. Getting ready to make more!

Most importantly to me is that some of you never knew this thing existed. For my own small part, I feel great in letting you know it does!!

Mike